Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mirage #3: Appliance Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (base stripper) (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mirage #3: Appliance Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE (base stripper)
    White
    5-speed

The holy grail! Base Canadian Mirage with no options: no AC, manual locks (no remote), wind-up rear windows, manual HVAC settings, no cruise, etc. Yet another cheap, used scratch 'n' dent special with high kms for its age (174k).

Details

Colour: Frigidaire White. A littlle banged up, with rust creeping around the edges.

Front carpet: 50% sodium chloride

•  

Aftermarket bluetooth thingy!

•  

Stiff clutch pedal.

•  

Yes. Possible fubar rear axle.

•  

Stock Enasaves in decent shape. Two are much newer, so I will have to investigate rear axle alignment.

•  
    Comments: 58 / Views: 37634
    Yeah, any time a used car changes hands in Ontario, the new owner needs an inspection to get it legally plated (stickered). The technician has to be registered with the province to be able to issue the paperwork, so it can't be just anyone with a ticket. (But I'm sure every single shop has at least one mechanic who can sign off on them.)

That said, my mechanic trusts me and always asks: is the inspection for you, or are you selling it? If it's for sale, the car always gets a thorough going over on his lift. If it's for me, maybe he just asks me to make sure everything is OK, and he may or may not double-check.

If I lived in the Wild West where inspections are minimal or nonexistent, I know I'd just end up buying even more cars. That might not be good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And to make it even better, we have to pay tax on each transaction. I think the amount is based on what the average resale value is (or some other magic number) & not what you pay for the car... EG if you sell me your for parts only car for $25.00, & the MTO decides it's worth $2500.00, I have to prove them different or I pay the tax
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    And to make it even better, we have to pay tax on each transaction. I think the amount is based on what the average resale value is (or some other magic number) & not what you pay for the car... EG if you sell me your for parts only car for $25.00, & the MTO decides it's worth $2500.00, I have to prove them different or I pay the tax
    You pay tax when as a seller? No tax on private sales here. In bc they get you as a buyer when you when you get insurance and plates(icbc) I think you gotta pay pst on the value of the vehicle. So same thing, no $1 bill of sales lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You pay tax when as a seller? No tax on private sales here. In bc they get you as a buyer when you when you get insurance and plates(icbc) I think you gotta pay pst on the value of the vehicle. So same thing, no $1 bill of sales lol
    We pay sales tax (whatever was paid for it) when registering used vehicles in Wisconsin. That includes motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, or anything else that requires registration to own/operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No, just as the buyer.

At least Ontario gives you the option of having an appraisal done to lower the official value of a car for tax purposes.

For $50, a guy came to my house from a local used car dealership, looked over the car and filled out a document saying my white Mirage is worth $1500. So I don't have to pay tax on the ~$4k "average wholesale" value that the province says it's worth. That saved me a couple hundred pesos.

I paid for an appraisal of my holey-floored Miata as well to save on tax.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

On the road again

It's plated and insured as of yesterday.

Time to start swapping over the eco-mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Maybe that rear axle can be replaced with one from a scrapyard?
    I just realized I have a known-good rear axle AND a known-good transmission on hand.

Ethical dilemma!!

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Hey congrats! You can't beat that for the price! IK paid more for a replacement engine when Mavis Tire refused to pay me for damages after they forgot to screw the oil pan drain back on and the engine seized. lol Paid $2,400 to have the engine replaced with one that only had 6.5 km on it. Runs like new. But had I known I could get an entirely new car for $1,800??!! That's so kewl!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.1 mpg (Imp)

They forgot to tighten the plug?? Oh man. Small claims court?

1800 gets you a decent engine... and a worn out clutch, transmission and wonky rear axle. :-D

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fanfare (08-08-2021)

What the heck is a doornail anyway?

Battery is toast.

Name:  mirage-number-3-batt.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  90.3 KB

Went to start it up again after moving it out of "summer storage", and it needed another boost.

This reading is after multiple hours on the charger, then resting a day. Looks like a bad cell.

None of my spare batteries will fit, either. Boat batteries = too big!