Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage #3: Appliance Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (base stripper) (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mirage #3: Appliance Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE (base stripper)
    White
    5-speed

The holy grail! Base Canadian Mirage with no options: no AC, manual locks (no remote), wind-up rear windows, manual HVAC settings, no cruise, etc. Yet another cheap, used scratch 'n' dent special with high kms for its age (174k).

Details

Colour: Frigidaire White. A littlle banged up, with rust creeping around the edges.

Front carpet: 50% sodium chloride

•  

Aftermarket bluetooth thingy!

•  

Stiff clutch pedal.

•  

Yes. Possible fubar rear axle.

•  

Stock Enasaves in decent shape. Two are much newer, so I will have to investigate rear axle alignment.

•  
    Comments: 58 / Views: 37625

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Against my better judgement (and rapidly dwindling places to park cars), I pulled the trigger on this bad boy and picked it up last night.

It's a no-options, appliance-white Canadian poverty edition icon! AKA the lightest 6G Mirage sold in North America.

Assuming it checks out, this car will replace my Mirage #2.

Back story:

It's a no-accidents, one-owner car that lived in Ottawa, driven by a homecare nurse who drove it all over hell's half acre - thus the higher than usual kms @ 174k = 108k miles. This was her first car, and when she bought it, she was looking for the cheapest, most fuel-efficient car she could get. (Her husband is a software guy and has a Prius C.) With a new (second) baby in the household, the Mirage got the boot, likely to be replaced by something a bit bigger.

They're a super nice couple who patiently answered my dozens of questions before I decided to make the drive to Ottawa to have a look at it.

The good:

- Maintained by the book, mostly at the dealership. Regular documented oil changes. Recalls all done.
    - runs better than Mirage #2 (no rattly cold starts)
    - 4/5 seating positions are super clean
    - came with a set of 1 year-old Pirelli winter tires on wheels
    - paid $1800

The bad:

- scratchy 'n' denty
    - clutch is twice as stiff as it should be - possibly the same problem Pryme experienced
    - 2nd gear may be slightly worn - first couple of cold shifts feel "chunky"... but it doesn't grind
    - 1st gear is somewhat reluctant to engage when rolling - this will be a double-clutcher.
    - it was parked (outside) for much of the pandemic, so it probably needs rotors & pads
    - one rear window will self-lower a cm or 2 from closed on bumpy roads

Next:

I really haven't had a chance go over it with a fine tooth comb, but it drives & stops straight, the clutch doesn't slip, and it doesn't make any funny noises.

The immediate effect of buying Mirage #3 is I will be putting the $800 Honda Fit that I JUST BOUGHT up for sale next week... and I want to do a tiny bit of bodywork to make it look more presentable. So that will occupy my free time until then.

But once that's done, I'll dive into the Appliance Car and will report back with findings.

If it checks out, this will replace Mirage #2 which will also eventually go on the block.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

(reserved post)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice, congratulations!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Thanks!

Since all I did was drive it home and park it, I feel like a kid who knows where all the Christmas presents are hidden (unwrapped). I can't wait to go through it in more detail.

I just need to finish futzing around with the Fit and sell it first.

Nice! Das looks like a bargain!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

possible rear alignment issue

Well, I'm just starting to have a closer look at it today, so let's reserve judgment on "bargain" status for a bit!

For example: when I looked at the car in the seller's driveway, I didn't look close enough at the rear tires. It looks like it may have a wonky rear axle:

Name:  20210622_153456_1624390752360_resized.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  68.1 KB

Not sure if you can see that, but the rightmost treads are pretty wonky. Those are on the inside of the right rear tire. Toed out too far?

The front tires are brand new. Enasaves all around.

In happier news, it only took about 15 minutes to heat up the bumper enough to push out the dent from the inside:

Before/During/After...

Name:  bumper-dent.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  20210622_143005_1624390753579_resized.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  20210622_153154_1624390753218_resized.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  47.7 KB

I dabbed the scrapes with generic white rust paint. One benefit of an appliance-white car!

It looks like there's lots of tread left, did the previous owner actually go out and buy replacement dunlops or are those the originals? I'd rotate them and keep an eye on it.
    I'll give you $1200 if you can get it here!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Looks good. Maybe that rear axle can be replaced with one from a scrapyard?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)