Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles and Riding

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MirageRally shot me a message today asking how things were going - I think he was getting into riding about the same time as me, so I would love to hear an update from him. I'll post mine here (in brief) just in the public space in case anyone else is interested:

I finally got my full license last week after putting about 1600 miles on my Cub with my permit. I've gotten much more comfortable riding and this point, and can say that I've (mostly) learned to be able to accurately approximate the speed with which I can enter/exit turns. MirageRally mentioned he is learning this as well, which gave me a chuckle - I had many a "HOLY **** HOLY **** HOLY ****" moment early on as I was entering corners too fast and either drifting into the oncoming lane or panicking and grabbing the brakes, which for those who don't know == having the front wheel lock and throwing you off the bike, over the handlebars. I still have a lot to learn, I think, but at this point I like to think I'm no longer in imminent danger from myself.

I'm realising that bikes are a real pig when it comes to maintenance. With our Mirages, all we really need to do is make sure to change the engine oil on a regular basis (whatever that means to you - 3500 miles for me) and things just kinda keep on keeping on. Not so with bikes - at least with my Cub, which was brand new and seems to require some extensive break in/babying. Have probably changed the oil like 5 times at this point already, having to constantly clean and lube the chain (every 300 miles or so). Was also stalling at startup a lot in the beginning, but that seems to have gone away now that I have some miles on it. The thing is also permanently suicidal - constantly trying to destroy itself by falling over, already has rust on some of the third-party accessories I installed, my extended seat actively scratches the paint. Ugh. The Cub is fun, and I like it (so do other people - it's actually incredible how many people come over and start asking about it or wave at me as I'm riding down the street), but man it makes me appreciate Piddles (my Mirage) so much more. Love you, Piddles!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (08-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    Piddles ... I still get a good chuckle at it. It is quite appropriate. PityOnU - this is not meant as a brag so don't take it that way. I've been riding, well not as long as some, but a lot of it was roadracing (knee on ground, well other parts too when crashing), that I cannot relate to your riding highlights. I believe you, 100%. I just don't relate. To me, riding on a 2 wheeled machine is a part of my being. I've had to deny myself that love for the past 20 years or so, trying to NOT influence my sons. God-lovem, I don't think they have the coordination I have, or the natural instinct for it.

The flip side of that coin is, I do a lot of, what the youngsters would refer to as, hooligan stuff that I really ought not to do. I just can't help myself. The things I do are really really dumb, but comes from a position of comfort in what I'm doing, and a quick burst of frustration for what others are doing. Last weekend I blasted (if you can call it that, on a 17 hp Honda Rebel, with a top speed of 72 mph) from my house to my dad's. I tried to hold the throttle wide arse open the whole stint on the interstate. Which is about 130 miles. I'd say I held it WOT for 128 miles or more. It only goes 72 mph on its own. But I scheme, and draft and all kind of stupid stuff a dude my age and size shouldn't do. I violate some laws, think GTA. Sooner or later I'm bound to screw up, so I'm trying to just forget motorcycles once and for all. The Mirage actually helps. For example, if I were daily driving my LS 460L, at 18 or 19 mpg, a 45 mpg Burgman, or 65 mpg Rebel sounds quite appealing. But with a 45 mpg Mirage, the Burgman is completely useless.

I'd like to hear more of your riding and MirageRally's.

A couple more of mine. For a few years, a few years back, I had a 2009 Honda CRF 450X, that I conned the state of GA into allowing a license plate to be put on. A true dirtbike, full knobbies and all. I once rode through a construction area. They had the road completely gone, and it was dirt, with humps of dirt everywhere. Looked kind of like a straightish mx track. Well, the crew got to chasing me in their trucks and whatnot, but they never had a chance, unless I was to crash. For some reason I have the Benny Hill song playing in my head when I think back on it.

Another time I had the local poleece follow me around for a good long time right here in town. It got ridonkulous. I know he was running my plate, and kept asking the dispatcher, "are you sure? Are you sure? Are you sure?" Near my house, there's a historic church. It has a road access through the church. But the church puts up a gate so there's no continuous through traffic and the road serves as their driveway. But one can drive in to the church, but it dead ends at the gate. However, having ridden bicycles around my neighborhood (the church borders my neighborhood) with my sons, I knew a little secret. So I drove down the road to the church knowing the gate was there, poeleece following. I sort of circle the parking lot like I was turning to go back out. But really I was lining up ... for a clear shot through a grove of trees on both sides of the road. I hopped a very tall curb, ducked under some limbs and straight onto the road on the other side. If only the guy could have saw the grin on my face, I'm sure I looked like a mule eating briars. It was then that I realized ... mr. poeleeceman has my address, guess I'll go wait at home for my consequences. It would take him a good 5 minutes to drive all the way back around the way he had to go to get to my house. I waited outside, but he never showed up. Maybe he thought it clever too. Guess I'll never know.

I'm like a immature child when I'm on 2 wheels and I really need to cut it out.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 08-30-2021 at 07:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-30-2021),MirageRally (08-31-2021)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Besides the mini bikes I inherited a scooter from a friend of mine who passed away. There is an interesting story behind this scooter and I ride it a lot!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    I've been riding for a long long time and I hear ya about additional maintenance on bikes. Yes they do require more maintenance than our trusty little car for sure. One maintenance item that requires almost daily maintenance is keeping your chain oiled if you ride a lot. Total pain for sure. Awhile back I purchased one of these and it was money well spent.

Name:  patrol_kit_with_manual_1024x1024@2x.jpeg
Views: 192
Size:  37.4 KB

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/col...uto-patrol-kit

The great thing about this is it doesn't require any power and when the bike is stopped, the oiler doesn't deliver any oil. The motion of the bike rocks the center screen slightly which allows oil to travel through the tube and drip onto your chain while you are rolling. Yes it's a little over $100USD delivered but it will literally double if not more the life of your chain. And as expensive as a quality chain is these days it paid for itself the first chain. The drip rate while rolling is totally adjustable via the little knob at the bottom. Riding in dusty condition, turn the drip rate up. Riding in mostly highway conditions turn it down. You can totally adjust the delivery rate. Genius little device actually. I recommend these wholeheartedly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Piddles ... I still get a good chuckle at it. It is quite appropriate. PityOnU - this is not meant as a brag so don't take it that way. I've been riding, well not as long as some, but a lot of it was roadracing (knee on ground, well other parts too when crashing), that I cannot relate to your riding highlights. I believe you, 100%. I just don't relate. To me, riding on a 2 wheeled machine is a part of my being. I've had to deny myself that love for the past 20 years or so, trying to NOT influence my sons. God-lovem, I don't think they have the coordination I have, or the natural instinct for it.

The flip side of that coin is, I do a lot of, what the youngsters would refer to as, hooligan stuff that I really ought not to do. I just can't help myself. The things I do are really really dumb, but comes from a position of comfort in what I'm doing, and a quick burst of frustration for what others are doing. Last weekend I blasted (if you can call it that, on a 17 hp Honda Rebel, with a top speed of 72 mph) from my house to my dad's. I tried to hold the throttle wide arse open the whole stint on the interstate. Which is about 130 miles. I'd say I held it WOT for 128 miles or more. It only goes 72 mph on its own. But I scheme, and draft and all kind of stupid stuff a dude my age and size shouldn't do. I violate some laws, think GTA. Sooner or later I'm bound to screw up, so I'm trying to just forget motorcycles once and for all. The Mirage actually helps. For example, if I were daily driving my LS 460L, at 18 or 19 mpg, a 45 mpg Burgman, or 65 mpg Rebel sounds quite appealing. But with a 45 mpg Mirage, the Burgman is completely useless.

I'd like to hear more of your riding and MirageRally's.

A couple more of mine. For a few years, a few years back, I had a 2009 Honda CRF 450X, that I conned the state of GA into allowing a license plate to be put on. A true dirtbike, full knobbies and all. I once rode through a construction area. They had the road completely gone, and it was dirt, with humps of dirt everywhere. Looked kind of like a straightish mx track. Well, the crew got to chasing me in their trucks and whatnot, but they never had a chance, unless I was to crash. For some reason I have the Benny Hill song playing in my head when I think back on it.

Another time I had the local poleece follow me around for a good long time right here in town. It got ridonkulous. I know he was running my plate, and kept asking the dispatcher, "are you sure? Are you sure? Are you sure?" Near my house, there's a historic church. It has a road access through the church. But the church puts up a gate so there's no continuous through traffic and the road serves as their driveway. But one can drive in to the church, but it dead ends at the gate. However, having ridden bicycles around my neighborhood (the church borders my neighborhood) with my sons, I knew a little secret. So I drove down the road to the church knowing the gate was there, poeleece following. I sort of circle the parking lot like I was turning to go back out. But really I was lining up ... for a clear shot through a grove of trees on both sides of the road. I hopped a very tall curb, ducked under some limbs and straight onto the road on the other side. If only the guy could have saw the grin on my face, I'm sure I looked like a mule eating briars. It was then that I realized ... mr. poeleeceman has my address, guess I'll go wait at home for my consequences. It would take him a good 5 minutes to drive all the way back around the way he had to go to get to my house. I waited outside, but he never showed up. Maybe he thought it clever too. Guess I'll never know.

I'm like a immature child when I'm on 2 wheels and I really need to cut it out.
    For a while I had my rzr registered as a motorcycle instead of an off highway vehicle. To make it more bizare they gave me a full sized car license plate instead of the smaller motorcycle/atv/off road plate. I renewed it for years with no questions asked until I got some keener behind the counter. They said you can't have that plate on that thing. They gave me a new smaller plate and fixed the registration...I never did try to drive it on the street but wonder if I could have gotten away with it if I had signals, horn and the other stuff to make it "legit".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    I saw a YouTube video of a dude out west (NV I think), who had an rzr on the street and got pulled over. Cop was cool just double checked his paperwork (he did have a plate on it) and sent him on his way. An rzr on the street would be wonderful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just updated my POV with the Hog.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    MirageRally shot me a message today asking how things were going - I think he was getting into riding about the same time as me, so I would love to hear an update from him. I'll post mine here (in brief) just in the public space in case anyone else is interested:

I finally got my full license last week after putting about 1600 miles on my Cub with my permit. I've gotten much more comfortable riding and this point, and can say that I've (mostly) learned to be able to accurately approximate the speed with which I can enter/exit turns. MirageRally mentioned he is learning this as well, which gave me a chuckle - I had many a "HOLY **** HOLY **** HOLY ****" moment early on as I was entering corners too fast and either drifting into the oncoming lane or panicking and grabbing the brakes, which for those who don't know == having the front wheel lock and throwing you off the bike, over the handlebars. I still have a lot to learn, I think, but at this point I like to think I'm no longer in imminent danger from myself.

I'm realising that bikes are a real pig when it comes to maintenance. With our Mirages, all we really need to do is make sure to change the engine oil on a regular basis (whatever that means to you - 3500 miles for me) and things just kinda keep on keeping on. Not so with bikes - at least with my Cub, which was brand new and seems to require some extensive break in/babying. Have probably changed the oil like 5 times at this point already, having to constantly clean and lube the chain (every 300 miles or so). Was also stalling at startup a lot in the beginning, but that seems to have gone away now that I have some miles on it. The thing is also permanently suicidal - constantly trying to destroy itself by falling over, already has rust on some of the third-party accessories I installed, my extended seat actively scratches the paint. Ugh. The Cub is fun, and I like it (so do other people - it's actually incredible how many people come over and start asking about it or wave at me as I'm riding down the street), but man it makes me appreciate Piddles (my Mirage) so much more. Love you, Piddles!
    Glad to hear you got your license, l'm still working on mine, but if l have to wait til next year-so be it...l'm not in a rush. Man this cycle accelerates 20x faster than the car!!! l'm up to speed in 5 seconds. My Rebel has a lot of grunt and can certainly reach triple digit speeds.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Piddles ... I still get a good chuckle at it. It is quite appropriate. PityOnU - this is not meant as a brag so don't take it that way. I've been riding, well not as long as some, but a lot of it was roadracing (knee on ground, well other parts too when crashing), that I cannot relate to your riding highlights. I believe you, 100%. I just don't relate. To me, riding on a 2 wheeled machine is a part of my being. I've had to deny myself that love for the past 20 years or so, trying to NOT influence my sons. God-lovem, I don't think they have the coordination I have, or the natural instinct for it...

<crazy hijinx follow>
    Wow, sounds pretty wild. Certainly nothing that I would do myself, I think, but it's cool that you have so much experience with bikes. I took a MSF intermediate course and one of the guys there had been riding dirt bikes since he was a kid. The way he was able to throw that bike around was incredible. Made me realize I kinda suck and shouldn't be getting cocky on the roads just because I'm not constantly near death anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I've been riding for a long long time and I hear ya about additional maintenance on bikes. Yes they do require more maintenance than our trusty little car for sure. One maintenance item that requires almost daily maintenance is keeping your chain oiled if you ride a lot. Total pain for sure. Awhile back I purchased one of these and it was money well spent.

Name:  patrol_kit_with_manual_1024x1024@2x.jpeg
Views: 192
Size:  37.4 KB

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/col...uto-patrol-kit

The great thing about this is it doesn't require any power and when the bike is stopped, the oiler doesn't deliver any oil. The motion of the bike rocks the center screen slightly which allows oil to travel through the tube and drip onto your chain while you are rolling. Yes it's a little over $100USD delivered but it will literally double if not more the life of your chain. And as expensive as a quality chain is these days it paid for itself the first chain. The drip rate while rolling is totally adjustable via the little knob at the bottom. Riding in dusty condition, turn the drip rate up. Riding in mostly highway conditions turn it down. You can totally adjust the delivery rate. Genius little device actually. I recommend these wholeheartedly.
    I had seen these and have mixed feelings on them. I suppose the good part is that the decision is already made for me, as the Super Cub has a full chain cover, meaning something like this wouldn't really work (at least not easily), and/or would slowly fill up the chain cover with goo over time.

However, if you have any suggestions for measuring and maintaining appropriate chain play, I am all ears. Anything I've seen so far seems so approximate (in terms of measurement) that I am almost certain I will screw it up and overtighten my chain. Mine already seems to be coming a little loose, but I have no frame of reference and may just be acting completely paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Just updated my POV with the Hog.
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Glad to hear you got your license, l'm still working on mine, but if l have to wait til next year-so be it...l'm not in a rush. Man this cycle accelerates 20x faster than the car!!! l'm up to speed in 5 seconds. My Rebel has a lot of grunt and can certainly reach triple digit speeds.
    Thanks for posting the video - I had it on in the background while I was working today. Like I said previously, I always enjoy watching those because it takes me back to the east coast and reminds me of where I grew up - I live over near Seattle these days.

Also, I appologize for not replying to your message directly - I read it, clicked away, and was then too stupid to be able to find my inbox again.

I am surprise to see you on a Honda Rebel! Last I heard, I thought you were looking at getting a Grom? That's quite the upgrade! And yeah, I bet that thing is fast! Even my 125cc Cub can hit 60mph without much prodding, and 70mph if I'm really wringing it out. What made you change to the bigger machine?

Also, I can see how that can be uncomfortable. Just looking at the dude riding it in the picture on the Honda website makes my lower back sore. It looks super cool, though!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

However, if you have any suggestions for measuring and maintaining appropriate chain play, I am all ears. Anything I've seen so far seems so approximate (in terms of measurement) that I am almost certain I will screw it up and overtighten my chain. Mine already seems to be coming a little loose, but I have no frame of reference and may just be acting completely paranoid.

I got my motorcycle license at age 16 (1979), & I bought my first motorcycle at age 16. I started growing pickles during the summer months at age 12 or 13 to pay for my future cycle. A nearby pickle factory would buy pickles from local farmers, and my dad gave a few rows along a corn field each summer to plant pickles. A neighbor down the road had a company pickle grader in his garage, and he collected the pickles from the farmers. You were pay so much a pound depending on the size. The real/large pickle farmers with migrant workers had wagon loads of pickles each day. I had a few burlap bags of pickles a few times a week. My parents did not want me to have a motorcycle, but they caved in after a few years of me doing this to buy one. I bought my first car 4 years later. ​

M​y last cycle was a 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650. I bought my Mirage in October of 2017, & I sold my Versys the following summer. None of my friends are into cycles. If they were, I may still own one. I never owned a new cycle. I always bought used ones and usually sold them for the same price I paid for them years later.

I never felt my chains needed adjustment that often. Maybe once a summer. I was pretty sloppy with the chain oil, but I also never replaced a chain or sprockets on a cycle either. You want to make sure your chain is running in line/straight. I learn this as a kid with a Rupp minibike. Anyone old enough to remember Rupp snowmobiles? You want your chain to be able to move up and down about 0.5 - 1.0 inch in the middle on a street bike. You don't want it super tight or so loose it will jump the sprockets.

I kept a soup can with a small amount (1/4") of 50W (or heavier) oil in the bottom of it. A small paint brush was kept in the soup can, too. About every other gas tank, I would lift the rear tire up. On my older bikes, I could use the center stand. On my Versys I had to use a rear motorcycle stand. Once the rear wheel was up, I would put the bike in 1st gear (shifting it with my hand). While the drive chain is running, I would oil the heck out it with a the small paint brush. The heavy weight oil would stick to it pretty good. It may mess up your rear rim some, but I didn't care all that much. When I was done, I used a larger soup can to cover the smaller one. That kept the dust out of my oil can. I had a motorcycle mechanic once ask me what I did, because he was amazed at the lack of wear on my sprockets.

I grew up greasing & oiling farm machinery. We used old motor oil to lube up chains on balers, corn pickers, or whatever had chain drives. Thus, I was taught at a young age the importance of grease & oil.

I am not saying my way is the best, but I found a small paint brush used on a warm chain (when you just get home) is the best way to thoroughly oil up a chain.

I sold my last cycle because -
    1 - Getting older - would like to say wiser, but that's a stretch!
    2 - Feared hitting a deer at night. I live in deer country, but I love deer hunting with my bow/rifle not a vehicle.
    3 - None of my friends are into cycles. Should have made new friend maybe?
    4 - Tires - If I got 5,000-6,000 miles out of a rear tires, I was lucky. Front tire does about twice that.
    5 - I am usually hauling stuff. If when I go into town for driving lessons, I have a large clipboard with papers, cooler with drinks, tend to always need something from town like a can of gas for my mowers, milk, eggs, or whatever. I had a luggage rack on the back, but it's still a pain to haul stuff on a cycle.
    6 - Riding in the rain SUCKS! Even with rain gear, it sucks on a motorcycle.
    7 - I started to appreciate the garage space more than the cycle.
    8 - They get dusty/dirty easily. Sometimes, I felt like I was cleaning it more than riding it, & I didn't keep my cycle all that clean.

Having said all that, I miss not having one at times. If I started dating a hot babe that was into cycles, I would probably get another.

My ATVs & UTV are more valuable to me at this point in my life. I never trail ride with them. I use them as working/hunting machines. If they are dirty, no one really cares (including me).

Last edited by Mark; 08-31-2021 at 04:39 AM.