Thread: Motorcycles and Riding

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I started growing pickles during the summer months
    Hee Hee, You found a short cut??? I always had to start with Cucumbers

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I never spent too much time on chains. The worst case scenario is you neglect your chain altogether. You're still good until it starts hopping teeth on the sprocket. Then replace 2 sprockets and the chain. It's not terribly expensive (removing the front sprocket can be a ***** though). I think that would take a fairly long time to wear chains and sprockets to the point they hop teeth.

My first road bike was a GSX-R 1100. I didn't waste time with the small bikes. I went straight to the big dawg. It was important that the bike was always spotless when I rode it. I did maintain the chain, but certainly not obsessively. When it looked a bit parched, I lubed it and that was the limit of it. But riding with other sport bike guys, we had found some, what I remember was Honda Chain Wax. Made for our kind of chains. And if one put it on a warm chain and then let the bike sit you know, like over night, the chain wax was supposed to not "sling" off. It still did a little. But nothing bad. As much power as that bike had, I never had any chain issues.

I might have had to tighten it a little from time-to-time, but over the 3 or 4 years I had the bike, I never had to replace it. It was one big massive chain though. Myself and most of the dudes I rode with had rear stands, so spinning the rear tire to clean/wax the chain wasn't too terrible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Hee Hee, You found a short cut??? I always had to start with Cucumbers
    Yeah, we called them pickle patches where I grew up. Plus, I was growing them for Bond's Pickle Company. My dad's first job was @ that pickle factory. He watched older guys spit their tobacco chew into the relish vats. He's 81 now, & he still won't eat relish.

They do start out as cucumbers, but we never called them that! Cucumbers just came from the garden & not your large pickle patch! Just kidding our course!
    Last edited by Mark; 08-31-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting the video - I had it on in the background while I was working today. Like I said previously, I always enjoy watching those because it takes me back to the east coast and reminds me of where I grew up - I live over near Seattle these days.

Also, I appologize for not replying to your message directly - I read it, clicked away, and was then too stupid to be able to find my inbox again.

I am surprise to see you on a Honda Rebel! Last I heard, I thought you were looking at getting a Grom? That's quite the upgrade! And yeah, I bet that thing is fast! Even my 125cc Cub can hit 60mph without much prodding, and 70mph if I'm really wringing it out. What made you change to the bigger machine?

Also, I can see how that can be uncomfortable. Just looking at the dude riding it in the picture on the Honda website makes my lower back sore. It looks super cool, though!

PityOnU

Yeah, all the Groms were taken then l knew that l'd want more power anyway and didn't want to have to upgrade twice. All good about PM...l forget to check it most days as l'm not on here as much.

So you took a rider course? l thought U went to the BMV? That's what l plan to do.

l went over train tracks at 45mph instead of 25mph....that was fun....not....will talk to my dealer to get a different seat.

More videos to come...it just take hours to upload to Youtube...my 14min clip took 5 hrs to upload....and l have really good internet.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    l went over train tracks at 45mph instead of 25mph....that was fun....not....will talk to my dealer to get a different seat.
    Have you tried adjusting your rear suspension?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)