Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles and Riding

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    The next bike l'm looking at is the Honda CB300R, the bigger version of the Grom. The CB300R can go 110mph and is suited for highways and looks meaner.

PityOnU, the Honda Rebels look like a good fit for you as well when you decide to upgrade, And since you're 6' you can fit most bikes...l'm 5'3 so bikes are harder for me to fit on.

l thought you can get parts from the honda dealership? l can go to mine and they're not too expensive? l know the Grom has a lot of aftermarket parts bc it's hot in the US but they should still have parts for the Super Cub?
    I'm going to be sticking with the Super Cub for a while. It does everything I need it to and has some really cool history behind it (as well as looking pretty sharp, I think). The need for speed has mostly left me at this point.

W.r.t. parts - I'm not sure how it is with other bikes, but the Super Cub has a huge 3rd party accessory aftermarket due to so many of them being produced. Most of what I would consider essential accessories (long seat, long seat compatible luggage rack, saddlebag mounts, saddlebags themselves, etc.) either aren't actually produced by Honda, or have seemingly better third party options. Honda does not make a long seat, for example. Most of those 3rd parties to not operate at all in the United States, so you end up having to import from Asia. Japan and Asia seem the most common sources.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    I don't know how this topic sneaked by me, but it's on page 3 and I just saw it. Will go back and read it all later.

When I was 3 or 4 years old (probably 3), I kept telling my parents I wanted a bicycle. Finally they bought me what I'm sure was a cheapie little green thing. I remember it was some sort of a contraption of a bicycle, and it was green. I loved it regardless because it had 2 wheels. My mom tried to help me ride it one day, to no avail. I was sad about that. Over the first night, I had a dream that I was riding that bike. And to this day I remember the dream. And I remember that I could "feel" what the bike was doing and what I needed to do to communicate with the bike to be able to stay up on 2 wheels.

The next morning while my mother was still in bed I was poking her and saying, "I know how to ride the bike now! I know how to ride the bike! Come give me a push!" I had to drag her out of bed, it was early morning. After some time, she came down, gave me one push, and I never looked back. She told that story a thousand times, and I remember it all to this day. The dream was how I learned how to ride a bike.

I roadraced motorcycles back in the 90's, with some really good, and a few top AMA riders. I've raced Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, Talladega Grand Prix, Atlanta Motor Speedway (infield and oval), Gateway International, probably others I'm not remembering. My love is 2 wheels. I love motorcycles more than marriage. I like interesting motorcycles, and yet I find most motorcycles interesting. I currently have a 2016 Honda Rebel 250 (for sale). And a 2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive (for sale). If I get another bike, I'll probably get a 2021 Honda PCX 160. I'm into the small / useful / fuel efficient bikes these days. The Burgman is a gas hog. The Rebel is not a lot better, averaging 65ish mpg. The PCX will hit 100 mpg. I ride motorcycles better than I walk. I've tried to lay off of them as I have had 3 sons. They're close to leaving the nest (1 gone, 1 about to be gone, and 1 more with a couple years left).

After the nest is empty, and I kick the wife to the curb, I may start a motorcycle collection. Naaaaaah, I'm to cheap. But I'm sure I'll enjoy a smattering of motorcycles, blackjack and hookers.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

My one and only motorbike was an early 80's cr250. It was a basket case. Went like stink but the throttle would stick wide open. A bunch of us went to a motorcross track(that was closed) to rip around one day. Throttle stuck, I launched over a berm and landed spread eagle on the gas tank. Once I found my nuts I let a buddy ride it and I used his old pos beater quad with zero suspension.
    Other than that the only other bike I tried was a buddies gsxr 1000 just up and down the street a little bit. Way too much bike for me! Poop came out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Getting older I now ride a 400cc Suzuki Burgman. Wow. Automatic, full featured, comfortable, 75 mpg and easily keeps up with highway traffic @80mph. Best move I've ever made two wheel wise.
    Wally - I agree. Personally I think the 400 Burgman is mo' bettuh than the 650. Yeah, the 650 goes like stank. But I don't really care about that any longer. It is too much of a fat ass, and for a scooter, is a gas guzzler. The 400 is significantly lighter, and does AT LEAST 10 mpg better (probably more than that).

But next time around, I'm going for the PCX 160 I think. It tops out at 77 mph (flat - level - no wind). My Rebel 250 tops out at 72 mph under the same conditions and I've rode the Rebel up to my dad's house on the interstate through Atlanta ... so a PCX would be just a good or a bit better. Both my Rebel and the Burgman are cream puffs, but I got the hots for a 100 mpg PCX.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Wally - I agree. Personally I think the 400 Burgman is mo' bettuh than the 650. Yeah, the 650 goes like stank. But I don't really care about that any longer. It is too much of a fat ass, and for a scooter, is a gas guzzler. The 400 is significantly lighter, and does AT LEAST 10 mpg better (probably more than that).

But next time around, I'm going for the PCX 160 I think. It tops out at 77 mph (flat - level - no wind). My Rebel 250 tops out at 72 mph under the same conditions and I've rode the Rebel up to my dad's house on the interstate through Atlanta ... so a PCX would be just a good or a bit better. Both my Rebel and the Burgman are cream puffs, but I got the hots for a 100 mpg PCX.
    I love my Cub, but I will be the first to admit that it is a dinosaur in terms of design. Absolutely zero storage space, semi-manual transmission, aerodynamics of a brick, and a 1 gallon gas tank.

Comparatively, the scooters they have out now are all pretty amazing - I didn't realize that most of them have automatic CVT transmissions until someone mentioned it at my motorcycle permit test. Looking at that PCX it actually has a ton of built in storage, as well. Very practical and modern vehicle.

I didn't know they had clutchless/semi automatic bike/scooters? Thought they were all manual clutch or belt drive cvt deals. The cub sounds like the old suzuki quads we rode around as kids on the farm. Had a 185 and 250 suzuki's. Manual shift but no clutch handle. If the pull cord broke you could still bomb start them by shifting to third then hold the shifter down til you get pushed fast enough then let go and bang it into gear lol. We used to wear out sprockets a lot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I love my Cub, but I will be the first to admit that it is a dinosaur in terms of design. Absolutely zero storage space, semi-manual transmission, aerodynamics of a brick, and a 1 gallon gas tank.

Comparatively, the scooters they have out now are all pretty amazing - I didn't realize that most of them have automatic CVT transmissions until someone mentioned it at my motorcycle permit test. Looking at that PCX it actually has a ton of built in storage, as well. Very practical and modern vehicle.
    Your machine may be somewhat of a dinosaur, but 30 years from now it will still run like it does today if you take good care of it. If you have any desire to own a larger cycle some day, owning/driving an automatic small cycle or moped doesn't really prepare you for a large bike.

I really like cycles in the 400-650 cc range.

For a tall guy, the Honda CB500X, Kawasaki Versys 650, or Suzuki V-Strom 650 are really nice bikes.

For a short guy, I would consider the Honda Rebel 500 & the Suzuki Boulevard S40.

The Suzuki Boulevard S40 is a single cylinder 650cc bike that would be excellent for beginners.

My first cycle was a 1977 Yamaha XS400. I bought in 1978, & it had 400 miles on it. Someone traded it at car dealership, & the car dealership wanted to get rid of it. I was 16 when I bought it. I sold it 4 years later for $700. It didn't have a battery. It was kick start only. The XS400 parallel twin was considered an upgrade from all the Honda CB360 bikes that dominated the market for a very long time before that time. I had some great times on that bike.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love riding scooters ever since I rode my zuma 50 for two years. I actually put like 1,600mi on it my first year which is a good amount for a 50cc in the midwest (limited road options and months to ride)

Cvt super slick around town, lots of storage, comfortable seating etc.

I've been eying the Yamaha xmax 300. Has a ton of cool features including a smart key......so probably would be stolen according to Mark lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I love riding scooters ever since I rode my zuma 50 for two years. I actually put like 1,600mi on it my first year which is a good amount for a 50cc in the midwest (limited road options and months to ride)

Cvt super slick around town, lots of storage, comfortable seating etc.

I've been eying the Yamaha xmax 300. Has a ton of cool features including a smart key......so probably would be stolen according to Mark lol.
    Funny!

I have two ATVs, one UTV, riding lawnmower, & compact diesel tractor. I don't think I've ever pulled a key from one. Does that make them semi-smart? Probably not! I would hate keeping track of smart keys for all those things. They would be duct taped somewhere on the machine for sure!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Looking at that PCX it actually has a ton of built in storage, as well. Very practical and modern vehicle.
    My Burgman has a huge underseat compartment. A trunk box added behind the rear seat. And built in pockets up around the handle bars. It's like a pickup truck compared to my Rebel.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-27-2021)