Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles and Riding

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Motorcycles and Riding

MirageRally messaged me about this, but I figured I'd just throw this out into the public sphere as there may be other forum members here who are riders or have rode themselves in the past, maybe generate some interesting discussion.

I recently purchased a Honda Super Cub after being somewhat curious about learning to ride a motorcycle for what feels like a while. I figured I'd share here some of my thoughts and experiences so far as a very new rider.

Firstly: holy **** this hobby is expensive.

While I've heard stories of people picking up trash-tier-yet-still-functional bikes of of Craigslist for like $1K, as someone who has never owned a motorcycle before nor knows anyone who owns a motorcycle currently, going that route really wasn't an option for me. (1) I have no idea what I am doing, (2) I rent a room in a house so finding space to work on a bike is a problem of logistics/negotiation, (3) I have no idea what I am doing, (4) my inexperience will probably lead to me ****ing up whatever bike I get just out of sheer ignorance/incompetence so something like a warranty and professionals I could go to for advice would be great to have, and, most importantly, (5) I have no idea what I am doing. So I decided to purchase new.

While "the Honda tax" is apparently a thing, the Super Cub is literally the smallest and cheapest bike you can get from them, and even purchasing a 2020 model at discount, I ended up paying $4.2K out the door. Additionally, because I am a new rider who also enjoys being alive/having skin and functional extremities, I also needed to purchase a bunch of protective equipment at the same time. A decent helmet, riding jacket, gloves, and boots end up adding ~$600 to that total. And on top of that, because I'm a new rider on a new bike, I went ahead on got full coverage insurance, which added an additional ~$600. So from zero to Stay-Puft-marshmallow-man-with-a-bike set me back ~$5.4K. Living in WA also requires me to pony up an additional $100 to get a motorcycle permit and $25 to reprint my license to reflect that permit, with the same again (tests and license reprint) to occur again in 6 months to get my full endorsement.

Purely based on the cost alone, I could not recommend motorcycle ownership to anyone. Ever. Especially when you consider you are fronting that cost in order to enjoy a mode of transportation which is significantly less safe, comfortable, and convenient (in terms of hauling things) than a car. In my case, though, I've reached a point in my life where I have much more money than existing costs/responsibilities, so I can justify (or at least hum loudly to myself to block out the sound of) burning all that capital for no reason.

Second: Without an active community of bike owners around you, there is significant barrier to entry into the hobby.

This is coming from someone who lives in WA, rents a room in a house, had never ridden a motorcycle before, and does not currently know any motorcycle owners. Strange circular logic that was encountered:

1. I don't know if I like riding a motorcycle. But I don't know how to ride a motorcycle to even try it out. But I don't own a motorcycle to learn on. But I don't want to buy a motorcycle if I don't like riding it. But I don't know if I like riding a motorcycle...

2. I need to get a motorcycle permit so I can practice riding a motorcycle. But I can't get a permit without taking a riding test that proves I can ride a motorcycle. But I need to get a motorcycle permit so I can practice riding a motorcycle...

3. I'm required to take the permit test with my own motorcycle. But I can't ride my motorcycle to the test site without a permit. But I'm required to take the permit test with my own motorcycle...

etc. etc.

I managed to overcome most of the barriers through sheer stubbornness, trailers from UHaul, and willingness to sacrifice a (now significantly less) fat bank account. Again, would not recommend this to anyone. Ever.

Third: 125cc can actually work on American roads. Even the freeway. Even if you're a larger person.

In my case, I would honestly refer to the Super Cub as the Mitsubishi Mirage of motorcycles. Yeah, you're going to be pushing both yourself and the bike to your absolute limits, but 125cc is enough for your bare minimums. No, you are going to be pulling any "phat high speed pulls" outside of your local cul-de-sac, and you're just embarrassing yourself if you swap the exhaust to make your lawnmower engine any louder than the rest, but it'll do everything it needs to do for you to get from point A to point B, making 100mpg the whole way. I am able to easily cruise along at 55mph in top gear, and can hit 70mph+ with some aggressive throttle and tucking.

Lots of people seem drawn to larger bikes with similarly larger displacements because they feel the bikes with smaller engines and physically too small for them and would make them uncomfortable. I'll point out that as a 6'3" tall man with a 36" inseam, I actually manage to fit on the diminutive Super Cub without any discomfort. I have purchased an extended seat for a little bit more wiggle room, though, and I do fairly regularly find my left knee when the handle bars are at full lock, but considering my dimensions are a fairly extreme case I think the vast majority of people would be absolutely fine on a bike this size.

All that being said, I'm somewhere in the 170-180lbs range, which is way less than the average American who is my height. Chunky bois may or may not encounter issues with belly/leg space or power-to-weight ratio. Laying off the Rolling Rock and T-bone steaks for a week or two would probably benefit both your riding experience and general health if this is the case.

There's more I can write here but I think this wall of text is more than enough for now. Any other riders here? Maybe newbies looking to get into it? What are your thoughts/advice/concerns?

Last edited by PityOnU; 06-18-2021 at 10:20 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-18-2021),spork (06-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Great topic and questions. l am joining the Honda Grom Forum but a good base point is get your temps first, pass the written exam. Then watch a boatload of youtube vids on starting out. l am doing that now and as a 5'3 130lb young lad l could bench press the Grom (ok, not really..but l could pick it up and l do work out a lot as working out is key)

PityOnU, l would highly suggest doing squats and lifting as you need strength to lift or hold your bike if you accidently put the kickstand up. l will do a POV vid on Motorcycles and being a new rider and that will hopefully ease both of our stress.
    I think the Grom uses the same 125cc engine as the Super Cub. What is the transmission like on it? The Super Cub is actually quite a different/unique design where it's a manual transmission with a centrifugal clutch. Apparently this was in the original design specs so that it can be operated one handed. Very cool, but it means I still don't know how to operate a standard motorcycle

I've already dropped the bike a couple of times and have had to pick it up. Considering it has quite a low center of gravity and only weighs 240lbs wet, it hasn't posed much of a problem, even when it caught me completely off guard. I think a heavier bike would have definitely resulted in some strained/sprained muscles.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I think the Grom uses the same 125cc engine as the Super Cub. What is the transmission like on it? The Super Cub is actually quite a different/unique design where it's a manual transmission with a centrifugal clutch. Apparently this was in the original design specs so that it can be operated one handed. Very cool, but it means I still don't know how to operate a standard motorcycle

I've already dropped the bike a couple of times and have had to pick it up. Considering it has quite a low center of gravity and only weighs 240lbs wet, it hasn't posed much of a problem, even when it caught me completely off guard. I think a heavier bike would have definitely resulted in some strained/sprained muscles.
    The Honda Super Cub, Grom, & Monkey all use the same 125cc engine.

If you question the durable of your Honda engines, you need to watch these two guys drive across Baja on their Monkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpajlbY2lE

Those Monkeys took some major abuse, but they got the job done!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Honda Super Cub, Grom, & Monkey all use the same 125cc engine.

If you question the durable of your Honda engines, you need to watch these two guys drive across Baja on their Monkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpajlbY2lE

Those Monkeys took some major abuse, but they got the job done!
    I need to learn how to do valve adjustments. I'm picking the bike up from the dealership tomorrow. I had taken it back after <1 week of active on-road riding because I thought I was picking up on some chatter. This was after wringing the thing out on the highway before breaking it in (only ~200 miles). I'm hoping the reliability will begin to reveal itself after break in.

All that said, I did actually ride the thing an additional 100 miles in the process of having it listened to/diagnosed by various people and it didn't seem to complain too much. So maybe the reliability will be represented as refusing to break down as opposed to running optimally 100% of the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A standard motorcycle and standard car different in the way that in a manual car, you can skip gears, but in a motorcycle you have to go in order from 1-5 then 5-1. The shifter is the left leg and goes like this: Full click 1st gear....half click Neutral....then from there. So 1st, N, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th......then left hand is clutch, right hand lever is fron brake and throttle twist handle, then right leg is rear brake.

It helps to learn on a stick shift car before you learn stick shift motorcycle, but youtube vids help a ton.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A standard motorcycle and standard car different in the way that in a manual car, you can skip gears, but in a motorcycle you have to go in order from 1-5 then 5-1. The shifter is the left leg and goes like this: Full click 1st gear....half click Neutral....then from there. So 1st, N, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th......then left hand is clutch, right hand lever is fron brake and throttle twist handle, then right leg is rear brake.

It helps to learn on a stick shift car before you learn stick shift motorcycle, but youtube vids help a ton.
    Looking forward to some of your videos. Always enjoyed the ones you posted from your Mirage previously!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Yeap! Every appendage has a job on a motorcycle! Left side of your body is the clutch/transmission. Right side of your body is the front/rear brakes.

Does a Super Cub & Grom come with a tachometer? If a motorcycle doesn't have a gear indicator, I relied on the tachometer more. My cycles had 6 gears. It's easy to lose count.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The new Grom has a tach, speedo, gas gauge, and gear indicator....the new Grom has everything digital...another reason to buy new is the 22 grom has 5 gears as the old ones only had 4.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (06-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yeap! Every appendage has a job on a motorcycle! Left side of your body is the clutch/transmission. Right side of your body is the front/rear brakes.

Does a Super Cub & Grom come with a tachometer? If a motorcycle doesn't have a gear indicator, I relied on the tachometer more. My cycles had 6 gears. It's easy to lose count.
    The Super Cub does not have a tachometer, so you're going by ear on when to shift. But it does have a gear indicator, as well as a fuel gauge (!).

The fuel gugue is especially appreciated because the Cub only has a 1 gallon fuel tank. Even at 100mpg, I find myself stopping at the gas station a lot. Especially when you consider that 0.4 gallons of that is held in reserve!

The new Grom has a tach, speedo, gas gauge, and gear indicator....the new Grom has everything digital...another reason to buy new is the 22 grom has 5 gears as the old ones only had 4.
    Oh wow, that's a really big upgrade. I wonder how that will effect the 2022 Super Cub? My understanding is the Cub sales in the USA have been pretty bad, though, so who knows if they'll actually even keep that around at all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Same about the fuel tank lol. Small but mighty, just like the Mirage!
    What made you choose a Grom? Here was why I ended up buying a Super Cub:

While I am not a tiny Japanese high school girl, the way the show presents owning a vehicle and the way it makes you feel/the freedom it gives you really resonated with me and gave me that final push. Worth a watch if you don't mind being accused of being a total weeb.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-19-2021),Wil B (06-19-2021)