Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential Mirage Owner

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Potential Mirage Owner

Hello all. I have been browsing on here for a few months. I'm not a mirage owner not have I ever driven one. I am currently on Oahu for the next 6 months and I've been trying to drive a Mirage just to see if I can live with it's limitations.

The only Mitsubishi dealer has no mirages and turo has none listed.

I think the Mirage will be good for what I need, it's just hard to order a new one with driving it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    Hello all. I have been browsing on here for a few months. I'm not a mirage owner not have I ever driven one. I am currently on Oahu for the next 6 months and I've been trying to drive a Mirage just to see if I can live with it's limitations.

The only Mitsubishi dealer has no mirages and turo has none listed.

I think the Mirage will be good for what I need, it's just hard to order a new one with driving it.
    Hello Redoubt and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of Mirage fans & advocates here on the forum.

You are right to want to test drive one before buying. Took me two test drives but I couldn't find anything wrong with the car's design to not go ahead and get one. No more repairing old worn-out beaters. But definitely, the Mirage isn't for everyone. It really shines as a city car that can go on longer trips if needed - a car that is cheap to buy, cheap to operate.

So what's your intended use for a Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It may be hard currently with the rental market, but Enterprise uses the Mirage as their economy rental. A one day rental from them may work out if you can find one available.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Renting a car in Hawaii at the current prices is probably around $300 a day so that's not an option, besides I don't think anyone has mirages for rent. It's usually Honda fits.

My main purpose for the car is an economical daily driver that I can Uber in. I ride a Honda PCX scooter and I want the car equivalent of that. Cheap transportation.

I really considered the Hyundai ioniq blue but that's about $10k more.

I drove Nissan micras in the UK so I am assuming the mirage is one step up with modern features.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you are looking for cheap, reliable transportation, then the Mirage is a win.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello, I've watched your mirage videos on YouTube more than a few times, thanks for doing the long term reviews.

The steering not returning to center is a concern. How much road noise is there at 70mph with windows up?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    How much road noise is there at 70mph with windows up?
    Way less than my motorcycle at the same speed! Sorry, you said windows up!

It's a small economy car! If you can get a decent price on one, the Mirage excels at being affordable, reliable, & economical.

Given today's market, it doesn't take long to compare other options. Test drive a Spark & Mirage. That's about it.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    When they first came out in these parts, I bought a new one without having actually seen one other than in the internet, or having driven one. At €8000 for a basic model there wasn't much discussion.

They are uncomplicated and easy on the owner, well suited for town and also for the autobahn. Today, I would probably have bought one used, let the first owner pay the depreciation and get an almost new car for much less. I would recommend a MT because thats the best way to go.

The steering not returning to center is a concern.
    This was resolved for the 2017 model year. And even the older cars seem to loosen up over time. It's not a big issue.

If you were happy with a UK spec Micra, you'll be fine in a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Renting a car in Hawaii at the current prices is probably around $300 a day so that's not an option, besides I don't think anyone has mirages for rent. It's usually Honda fits.

My main purpose for the car is an economical daily driver that I can Uber in. I ride a Honda PCX scooter and I want the car equivalent of that. Cheap transportation.

I really considered the Hyundai ioniq blue but that's about $10k more.

I drove Nissan micras in the UK so I am assuming the mirage is one step up with modern features.
    It'd take a long time to recoupe the fuel savings from buying an ioniq. The Mirage is pretty damn reliable and cheap and easy to maintain. I don't know much about the Ioniq and have considered getting one myself but can't justify the upfront cost. Especially when I'm only into my current Mirage for about $1250. And it seems to be the most trouble-free vehicle in the fleet at work, and at home.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)