Thread: Low-mileage tires: how many years would you run your OEM Dunlop Ensave tires?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Low-mileage tires: how many years would you run your OEM Dunlop Ensave tires?

How many years would you run the stock OEM Dunlop Ensaves before replacement, if there were no major issues, and there was plenty of tread life left? 6 years? 10?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    How many years would you run the stock OEM Dunlop Ensaves before replacement, if there were no major issues, and there was plenty of tread life left? 6 years? 10?
    I think that is hard to answer. Is your Mirage parked outside 24/7 or in a garage. Exposure to weather matters.

6-10 years is the range. On a Dunlop Enasave, I would be concerned about the sidewalls. Then again, they concern me when new now. If they look OK, I would use them until they are worn out. I may have my next set ready to go, however.

Quote taken from the internet -

"How Long Should a New Set of Tires Last? It may be tentative, but tires do have an expiration date. There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left." Sep 4, 2017

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think that is hard to answer. Is your Mirage parked outside 24/7 or in a garage. Exposure to weather matters.

6-10 years is the range. On a Dunlop Enasave, I would be concerned about the sidewalls. Then again, they concern me when new now. If they look OK, I would use them until they are worn out. I may have my next set ready to go, however.

Quote taken from the internet -

"How Long Should a New Set of Tires Last? It may be tentative, but tires do have an expiration date. There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left." Sep 4, 2017
    Mine's outside pretty much 24/7 the last couple of years, and I've had them for 7+ years now ... thinking about swapping all 4 of them out for Walmart's Federal SS657's, even though the Dunlop's have alot of tread left (I only have 20k miles on the car)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Mine's outside pretty much 24/7 the last couple of years, and I've had them for 7+ years now ... thinking about swapping all 4 of them out for Walmart's Federal SS657's, even though the Dunlop's have alot of tread left (I only have 20k miles on the car)
    Like cars, tire prices seem a bit higher lately. Will that get better or worst?

If your tires still look good, I wouldn't replace them any sooner than necessary. Longer you wait, the younger your next set of tires will be.

I am nearing 51,000 miles with my Mirage.

My Federal & Dunlop tires currently on my Mirage are very worn down. Note: They haven't done all these miles.

I have a pair Nexen N'Priz AH5 mounted & ready to go already. They are mounted on extra steel rims that I bought from Dirk.

A new pair of Kumho Solus TA31 arrived at my house yesterday. They will replace the very worn Federal tires.

By the end of this summer/early fall, I will using the new Nexen & Kumho pairs.

Unless my plans change, the old Dunlop tires will be replace by Vredestein tires in the future.

That's my on going tire test!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    If tyres are laying around unused, rubber deteriorates much quicker than if it were in occaisional use. The UV rays of the sun also take their toll. If the rubber has become less flexible and feels harder when you dig your fingernails into the tread, its time to get rid of them.
    I have a replacement set of enasaves built 2015 laying in the shed. They are still perfect and will be mounted next summer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Great advice above, but what do you use the car for? I'd be much more wary of old tires on a frequent freeway commuter than on a car used as an in-town puddle-jumper.

Enasaves aren't a particularly stout tire to begin with, but if they have no cracks I'd say you could run them a little longer.

If they aren’t dried out and cracking then I’d run em. I’ve got the original tires from my previous 14’ Mirage on my current one. They’ve gotta be going on 8 years old. It’s used on the highway or freeway 5days a week. They’ve under 30,000miles on them and should last this summer and maybe next.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone, I took a closer look at all of the tires and I noticed some cracks in all four tires, so I guess it looks like I'm going to replace them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Great advice above, but what do you use the car for?
    ^ This.

My decision would depend on where the car is being used and by whom.

If it's just me on the usual quiet back roads I travel? I'd run 'em down. Other drivers and/or freeway use? Swap 'em out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)