Thread: Front brake install question

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Front brake install question

Hello, I ordered new caliper slide pins and bushings off rock auto. I was wondering how I am suppose to get the bushings onto the pins?

Also what parts am I suppose to lubricate? I understand I should lubricate the pins. Should I also use copper anti-size on the ends of the pads on top of the provided shims? Should I use copper antisize on the backs of the pads?

Since I have to remove the caliper mounting bracket to change lug studs should I put blue lock tite on its bolts?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    There are two little bolts mounted at the rear of the caliper, one on top, one on bottom. (Not the bolts holding the caliper-braket) If you remove them (the pins) you see the two pins and one tiny rubber boot around each pin. The bottom pin has a little and important rubber ring around it.
    Pull the pins out of the holes in the caliper, wipe them clean and lay them to the side. Then take some Q-Tips and brake cleaner and clean out the holes so they are perfectly clean. Then look at the grooves the two little rubber boot/seal things go in, and clean them well. Now rub a tiny amount of silicone grease over the pins. Do not use too much grease and do not use mineral (regular) grease, because the rubber ring around the lower pin would swell, deform, and block the movement it should allow, causing one lining to always push on the disc. That makes brakes drag and wastes gas and brakes. You can put loctite on the two little threads around the pins, but it is not a must. Don't overtighten them.

When you change the linings, you can put a small amount of anti-sieze on the contact area where the caliper touches it. Use sparingly. It is not a must, since there are little metal plates (shims) of thin metal under the linings, and they serve the anti-squeak purpose well. It would make more sense to put a little anti-sieze between linings and metal plate. I don't use anti-sieze, and have never missed it. Take a look at the FSM, it may be handy.
    Last edited by foama; 06-21-2021 at 06:36 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Foama, you seemed to have completely missed some of my questions.

How do i get my NEW "rubber boots"(Bushings) onto my new Caliper slide pins?

Since I have to remove the caliper mounting bracket to change lug studs should I put blue lock tite on its bolts?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I understand I should lubricate the pins. Should I also use copper anti-size on the ends of the pads on top of the provided shims? Should I use copper antisize on the backs of the pads?
    Anti sieze is not a lubricant. Always use the proper silicone brake caliper slide lube when doing brake work... Never use anti-sieze on brake parts...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Foama, you seemed to have completely missed some of my questions.

How do i get my NEW "rubber boots"(Bushings) onto my new Caliper slide pins?

Firstly, you do not need to take off the caliper mounting bracket (6 in the FSM) to change pins and their boots, or to change pads. If you undo the caliper bracket for the lug studs, a bit of blue loctite on the bracket bolts can't harm but is not really needed.

Second. The bolts (3) and (4) are the the pins, the one with the rubber around it being the lower one. The boots are (10) in the picture. Take your time, its self explanitory. See the FSM for torques.
    Last edited by foama; 06-21-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The bolts (3) and (4) are the the pins, the one with the rubber around it being the lower one. The boots are (10) in the picture. Take your time, its self explanitory. See the FSM for torques.
    I have purchased new caliper slide pins (3) and (4) i am wondering how to fit the new rubber bushings(the lower pin only) onto the pin? the fit is going to be incredibly tight?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I have purchased new caliper slide pins (3) and (4) i am wondering how to fit the new rubber bushings(the lower pin only) onto the pin? the fit is going to be incredibly tight?
    Just take your time and do it as in post 2. Its not difficult.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ive finished installing my front brakes, I was wondering why do the OEM upper slide pin(the one without the bushings) have smooth flat sides machined into it? but my replacements do not. is there a reason for this? is it to like stop an air pocket from forming at the end of the slide pin inside the hole?