Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serpentine Belt Question

I often have to retighten the belt after installing a new one. Start car turn on the ac, rear defrost, crank up the fan, headlights on, and watch the top of the belt between the alternator and the harmonic balancer. Tighten belt until it it stops bouncing up and down like crazy and it should be quiet when the ac kicks on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Belt squeaks are usually caused by a slipping belt. If it's happening during the first few minutes of startup, it sounds like the alternator is slipping under the load of recharging the battery. This could be made worse by running the headlights at the same time. (just a guess.) The A/C compressor could also cause this but might do it more than the first few minutes. In any case tightening the belt usually fixes the problem.
    Isn't the serpentine toothed? Or am I thinking of another car.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Isn't the serpentine toothed? Or am I thinking of another car.
    It’s not toothed that’s normally only for vehicles who use a timing belt. Mirages use a timing chain. The belt groves run the whole length of the belt and stop the belt from moving side to side.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Can you post a link to your purchases? Water pump and AC compressor?
    AC Compressor / Clutch (the 2014/2015 is compatible with the 2017) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mitsubi....m46890.l49286

Water Pump - DNJ WP4365 Water Pump For 14-18 Mitsubishi/Mirage, Mirage G4, 1.2L L3 DOHC Naturally Aspirated 3A92 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XHNVRBM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KosmoCramer For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KosmoCramer View Post
    I started hearing a constant rattling (like a marble rolling around a metal coffe can) as well as a bad bearing noise. The Bearings in the AC clutch were pretty warn and you could feel metal on metal grinding when spinning it by hand. Picked up an AC compressor with the clutch on eBay for $320 (the only other option was Mitsubishi and they wanted $1300) and luckily I had a friend who installed it for me for much less than it would have cost elsewhere. Unfortunately that fixed one bearing noise but not the rattling and another noticeable bearing noise.. which wound up being the water pump.. picked one up on Amazon for $40 and luckily the same friend installed it as well. The belt wasn’t in need of being changed at the moment but I figured why not change it anyway since everything was off and it only cost $18 at autozone.

So I think the Water pump was really my main problem .. but the AC would have needed to be changed in the coming months regardless.. but besides the slight squeak right now from the belt (which I think will be fixed once I tighten the belt a bit) the car sounds and drives like it did the day I bought it.

So the parts total was around $400 and labor was about $200

I drive a lot and this is the first major repair that I needed to do on the car.. my normal commute is about 130 miles a day total. I have 130,000 miles on the car.
    Back a couple years ago, Steve & his "plastic car" (Mirage with 300,000+ miles) replaced the A/C on his Mirage. I don't remember him replacing much else other than tires & headlight bulbs.