Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car not starting

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey sorry for the late reply,

I indeed swapped the battery for the one of my jeep, which was fully charged, and charged the battery of the mirage just in case. No luck.

The car is manual, so It cant be the shifter safety switch.

I connected the battery directly to the starter motor, to be sure it turns, and it does turn but the car doesnt want to turn on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Going back to basics, the engine needs 3 things to start:
    1. Proper fuel/air mixture
    2. Spark
    3. Mixture and spark at the right time (timing).

Can maybe assume timing chain hasn't jumped a tooth. Have you checked for spark at the plugs yet? Or fuel pressure check?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2021)

I'm not following what's going on here. Might have to start from the beginning.....

So when you turn the key does the starter work(crank engine over trying to start car)??????? Or does it crank for a second then stop. Gonna need to know that before you'll get anywhere.

If it's cranking over fine(your engine spins over when you turn the key) but it will not start/run then it's probably just flooded. If it's not too badly flooded you could try starting it while holding the throttle all the way to the floor. Turn key to run, hold throttle down then crank it.

If it's too badly flooded you'll need to pull the spark plugs and either dry them out or just replace them. They're easy to replace.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm not following what's going on here. Might have to start from the beginning.....

So when you turn the key does the starter work(crank engine over trying to start car)??????? Or does it crank for a second then stop. Gonna need to know that before you'll get anywhere.

If it's cranking over fine(your engine spins over when you turn the key) but it will not start/run then it's probably just flooded. If it's not too badly flooded you could try starting it while holding the throttle all the way to the floor. Turn key to run, hold throttle down then crank it.

If it's too badly flooded you'll need to pull the spark plugs and either dry them out or just replace them. They're easy to replace.
    At the start of the thread, it was "turn key get click, but no start". Which seemed like immobilizer, park neutral switch, starter solenoid, etc. But then they said they put power directly to the starter and it worked but engine wouldn't start. Which led me to think check the basics first. But I imagine direct current to the starter isn't going to tell the ecm when to shoot fuel and ignite it. Just says the starter will engage when current is applied to it. So it seems something in the start/run circuit is preventing this from happening.

Ive seen a rusted out loss of ground wire cause some weird issues before...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2021)

Reading is hard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-25-2021)

Lets take a road trip to Ausi land?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Lets take a road trip to Ausi land?

Definitely seems like a hands on approach is needed. Can I get a Fluke multimeter thru customs, or will it scan as a brick of C4 with wires attached?

It's fine, just need some tin foil,some tape a 10 and 12mm socket and a hammer. Ratchet optional. If it doesn't get fixed it'd at least make a fun spark and smoke show.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMilson View Post
    Hey sorry for the late reply,

I indeed swapped the battery for the one of my jeep, which was fully charged, and charged the battery of the mirage just in case. No luck.

The car is manual, so It cant be the shifter safety switch.

I connected the battery directly to the starter motor, to be sure it turns, and it does turn but the car doesnt want to turn on.
    Have you checked the clutch interlock switch? The car should only crank with the clutch pedal depressed...there is a switch to let the ECM know you have pushed the pedal down. If this switch is bad or disconnected, then the ECM may not know you have pushed the pedal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any updates on this car? Has it started yet, or has someone figured out the problem?

Last edited by AtomicPunk; 06-28-2021 at 01:40 AM.