Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car not starting

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Car not starting

Hey everyone, I’ve looked for someone with a similar issue around the forum but couldn’t find any.

Please refer me to the post if there is already a thread about a similar issue.

The car was working perfectly fine; then one morning you turn the key and only hear a click.

Checked battery; fuses and relays(no luck)

Tried both keys, no luck.

Tried with another starter motor; no luck either.

I tried “jump starting” the starter motor; it cranks but the car won’t turn on.

I can hear the fuel pump working when I turn the key. So that is working.

The weird thing is, if I restart the key, it will try for a millisecond then nothing.

Could it be the immobiliser in the car? Or the ignition switch? If the ignition switch is bad, wouldn’t it turn in while cranking the starter motor? Or it wouldn’t read the key?

I tried reading the codes, but the car is not throwing any codes via OBD.

I’m losing faith, any help would be more than welcome.

Car is a 2013 1.2 Mirage. Was working fine; no starting issues or anything before.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Are there any dashboard warning indicators when trying to start? The immobilizer indicator looks like a key.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    No, no unusual lights on the dashboard.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We can rule out the immobilizer then.

Troubleshooting remotely can be difficult. There can be many reasons why your engine won’t start. I’m sure there’ll be more forum members stopping by to give help and advice. In the meantime any additional information you can provide would be helpful. And hopefully we can figure this out without you having to go to a mechanic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I’d get a second opinion on that one...definitely don’t rule out the immobilizer then.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ey-transponder

Not every market has a fast key. And just cause a derpy light on the cluster doesn’t appear doesn’t mean you don’t have an immobilized issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-22-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Is it a CVT? Have you tried starting it in N, might be something weird with the gear electronics?

Mine does this (cranking for a second without starting and then stopping crank) on occasion and I have to return to ON and then turn to START and it goes, I still don't know what causes it but it seems to do it when I'm on a gradient.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Is it a CVT? Have you tried starting it in N, might be something weird with the gear electronics?
    Good point skyblue. JohnMilson, does your Mirage have a CVT? If so, try wiggling your gear selector to get the safety switch to engage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Not every market has a fast key.
    And an immobilizer is used on Mirages with F.A.S.T. keys and without. The original post in the thread you linked is not a F.A.S.T. key.

Regarding the switch, refer to this thread:
    SOLVED: Car won't start. (No clicks, nothing. Intermittent problem. )
    It has links to other threads as well as a fix for a different cause of a no-start condition.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-22-2021 at 01:14 PM.

I tried to start a car using the wrong key one time. Pretty flukey that we have 2 cars that were keyed alike. Key turned the tumbler, car would crank for a second almost fire then die. The more you tried it the less it'd crank until eventually it'd just click. Took a minute to figure that one out. Driver grabbed the wrong key. No lights on the dash appeared.

Years ago some 2017's had a no start in the cold. I can't remember if they cranked or not. Issue was some relays under the hood.
    The only other guess I have is bad ground cable. The quick and dirty way to test for that is just run booster cables from the negative terminal to the engine and to the body then give it a go. That also works as a temporary permanent fix if you have a bad ground on trailer lights.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-22-2021 at 01:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    JohnMilson - When you say you checked the battery, what exactly did you do to check the battery?

My vote is either the battery or the CVT gear shifter safety switch.

But I mention the battery because the Lexus I own (LS 460) is very battery sensitive. However, unlike the failure descriptions that most Lexus owner's describe, mine failed differently. Most say that because when the start/stop button is pushed, and the ECU (Lexus) checks the battery state, that when their battery was low / dead enough, the starter wouldn't even engage. Nothing would happen, no clicks nothing.

But on mine, my car would try to start but the starter would turn too slow to get the engine to fire. My battery was weak. It was evidently telling the ECU that it was good to go though.

The point is, your battery may be giving you some indications it is ok. But sometimes batteries tell lies.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-23-2021),inuvik (06-23-2021)