Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Aftermarket Forged Engine Parts

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    okc
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    37
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    According to a ls forum theirs been some guys pushing 500-600 hp with a bbc that had two bolt mains.. if this is true then shouldnít our engine be able to hold 250-300 will some solid arp studs? Plus odd number off cylinders are supposed to have less vibration due to the middle piston acting as a counter weight for the outer two. so in theory that should also help keep the mains from dancing. Correct?



  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 59 Times in 35 Posts
    It's very possible that we could hold plenty power with 2 bolt mains. A girdle is very possible, as far as converting to 4 bolt mains, it's possible on some engines, and not others. Depends on the amount of material available in the block for extra bolt holes.

    A girdle is possible. The Mazda/Ford 2.3 turbo engines have aluminum 2 bolt mains that are all one piece as a girdle. Those thing hold upwards of 1000hp.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    okc
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    37
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    It's very possible that we could hold plenty power with 2 bolt mains. A girdle is very possible, as far as converting to 4 bolt mains, it's possible on some engines, and not others. Depends on the amount of material available in the block for extra bolt holes.

    A girdle is possible. The Mazda/Ford 2.3 turbo engines have aluminum 2 bolt mains that are all one piece as a girdle. Those thing hold upwards of 1000hp.
    Iíll do some research on that.. That would be awesome if a girdle would fit.. do you know if this little engine has anymore limiting factors to make hp? Iíve read that the combustion chamber on these fire quickly.. would this affect the amount of boost? Or power

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    okc
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    37
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    One more question.. so would it be beneficial to bore out the cylinder and add a liner.. reason is to add displacement.. if possible what would be the max you would safely bore it out.. in theory if I was gonna spend the money getting custom pistons made might as well try to add a couple cubes

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 59 Times in 35 Posts
    Girdle type mains could be machined from scratch. As for adding displacement, the block could be machined for proper billet sleeves and bored out a little bigger. Probably not by much though. Another potential weak spot is the factory valve springs, and the lack of larger camshafts.

    To be honest, by this point one would have spent so much money, that I think swapping to a 4 cylinder that already makes a ton of power might make more sense like the 4b11t or the 4g63.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

  6. #26
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    9,680
    Thanks
    3,960
    Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    To be honest, by this point one would have spent so much money, that I think swapping to a 4 cylinder that already makes a ton of power might make more sense like the 4b11t or the 4g63.
    Good point!
    Also start with a chassis that can handle the increased horsepower, torque, vehicle speed, requisite braking, stability through wheelbase length, track width, and overall height.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Central NJ
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
    Just look at the differences between the Lancer and Lancer Evolution to see what chassis, suspension and brake upgrades went along with the modest power increase.
    I had a 91 CRX with a B18C5 swap. Upgraded brakes and added a front diff and it was a blast. Added a turbo and hated driving the car. It came off in a month. Every platform has its limits and a point of diminishing return.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    okc
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    37
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    Girdle type mains could be machined from scratch. As for adding displacement, the block could be machined for proper billet sleeves and bored out a little bigger. Probably not by much though. Another potential weak spot is the factory valve springs, and the lack of larger camshafts.

    To be honest, by this point one would have spent so much money, that I think swapping to a 4 cylinder that already makes a ton of power might make more sense like the 4b11t or the 4g63.
    Iíve actually thought about this and I canít decide if it would be easier and more cost effective to swap a 4 cylinder in it or to upgrade the 3 cylinder.. both seem to be pretty in depth however Iím still thinking that a 4 cylinder would be the best option as you could but the whole drivetrain out of whatever donor vehicle( I think I decided a lancer would be best I canít remember off the top of my head) .. wish I could get around to do something to this little car but I got so many project as is right now lol

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    https://youtu.be/QAJj187mUE8 he already done it.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I’ve actually thought about this and I can’t decide if it would be easier and more cost effective to swap a 4 cylinder in it or to upgrade the 3 cylinder.. both seem to be pretty in depth however I’m still thinking that a 4 cylinder would be the best option as you could but the whole drivetrain out of whatever donor vehicle( I think I decided a lancer would be best I can’t remember off the top of my head) .. wish I could get around to do something to this little car but I got so many project as is right now lol
    the 4G63 and 4b11 is too big 4G15T from colt ralliart is a better option its only 1500CC not that big because its also from a hatchback almost the size of mirage, and its a cast iron bore its like a smaller version of 4g63t.
    Name:  960.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  90.8 KB



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •