Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Forged Engine Parts

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Talking Aftermarket Forged Engine Parts

Hello all! Hope everyone is doing well today. I was looking around and doing research to see what forged internals parts for our 3A92 engine is out there for our car. I would love to buy another engine and take it apart and rebuild it with forged internals and turbo it. I know the stock internals can take small amount of boost. But if I'm going to build another engine, I think it's best to go ahead and go with forged parts.

If anyone knows where to get them let me know. That is if they make them. I appreciate it. Be good to get hands on experience on building an engine again and learn about the little ol' 3 cylinder. Thanks!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Unfortunately we have nothing available to us when it comes to forged rods and pistons. There's been talk of Honda D16 internals potentially working as the motor has the same bore as our 3a92, but I haven't seen any information about installed height, rod length, rod width, or bearing diameters.

One other option might be parts from the 4b40 turbo engine from the eclipse cross. Same bore, but the stroke is different.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, that was what I kinda figured since I couldn't find any topics about anything forged. I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't came up with anything yet since the newer Mirage has been around since 2013. I'm wonder if I could come in contact with companies that makes forged parts to see if maybe I could send off the internals from the 3A92 engine and they could possibly use them as a template. If so, then I guess I would be the first or very few to have done this. My 2000 Plymouth Neon I had before I sold it, I rebuilt the motor with forged parts. Eagle was the company that I got the connecting rods from. I could just simply email them and see.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Eagle, JE or other companies could make you some custom internals. However the chance of them making off the shelf forged parts are next to none as this motor only comes in one vehicle, and the chances of them selling more than a handful of sets is next to none.

The Chrysler 2.0/2.4 engines have a bunch of aftermarket because they were used in more than just one vehicle, and in more than one brand as well. The mirage simply doesn't have the same enthusiast base as the neon and the 420a equipped cars did.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    is it really worth it to upgrade a 3a92? its a bit rare but i think the best engine option will be the 4G15T since its from the colt ralliart which almost the same size as the mirage.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I suspect the engine can withstand a lot of boost without detonating.

My guess, based on 40+ years of wrenching street/track cars is that the stock engine can easily crank out 250-300 turbo hp.

I mean, don't forget, in many ways we should thing of our engines as more like motorcycle engines than car mills. Chain driven cams and valvetrain, 6500rpm redlline, rev limiter set to 7500? (not sure about that), fairly deep web block and other stuff.

If, if, our guts were all forged then we should get power like a 1200cc turbo Suzuki hyubusa which the ghost rider gets a tad less than 500hp from his rig.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A 4g15t would be a good option in some ways, however you have to consider the fact that the frame rails on the Mirage could be narrower than the Colt. And also it would be a full blown swap beyond many people's capabilities. Also a 4 cylinder engine is likely about 25% longer which could make fitment that much more difficult.

As for the 3a92, thinking of it as a Hayabusa engine is probably not the best comparison. The reason I say this is our engine is long stroke, small bore with a rod to stroke length ratio that is far from a motorcycle engine. Our 2 bolt mains, and sleeveless cylinders would be a huge limiting factor. Add to that, the cylinder head and cam combo is very much tuned for mid range torque production. I highly doubt this engine would work well beyond 8000rpm,

I've built many 2.0L 4 cylinder engines making nearly 300hp and running 17lbs of boost. Given that a 3 cylinder has one less cylinder, also means there is one less connecting rod and piston to handle the power and also one less set of intake and exhaust ports to flow air into the engine to achieve that power. A 1.2L would also require something like 44psi to achieve 300hp without some significant air flow and rpm mods.
    Last edited by Pimp_Daddy_Patty; 07-05-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've seen how the Mirage has been swapped with a Mitsubishi Evo 4G63 engine. I honestly just want to keep the ol' 3-Cylinder and learn more about it and see what it can do. I do know the engine will not make no where the horsepower as the 4 cylinder.
    My goal, is actually kinda easy. Simple 100hp then more, sure. I'll go with that. So let's say I do find a company that will make forged parts for the 3A92 engine and it does work, then I get a turbo put into the thing and tuned right. 100hp? Nah, probably more. I'm not going to go nuts with it. Just something that will be fun to drive and not blow up the engine if you get my point.

I've had a Plymouth Neon that I rebuilt the engine with forged parts.

From Eagle - no luck.
    Hello
    Sorry, We dont do any custom parts.
    Thanks Ray

I'm not going to give up. It will happen regardless if the 3A92 engine is rare or not. It isn't impossible so I'm going to keep on trying and not give up.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you're looking take 100hp, you can do that easily on stock internals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    If you're looking take 100hp, you can do that easily on stock internals.
    Mind sharing your thoughts on this? We’ve had reports of head gasket failure without any super- or turbocharging.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)