Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Forged Engine Parts

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    According to a ls forum theirs been some guys pushing 500-600 hp with a bbc that had two bolt mains.. if this is true then shouldn’t our engine be able to hold 250-300 will some solid arp studs? Plus odd number off cylinders are supposed to have less vibration due to the middle piston acting as a counter weight for the outer two. so in theory that should also help keep the mains from dancing. Correct?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's very possible that we could hold plenty power with 2 bolt mains. A girdle is very possible, as far as converting to 4 bolt mains, it's possible on some engines, and not others. Depends on the amount of material available in the block for extra bolt holes.

A girdle is possible. The Mazda/Ford 2.3 turbo engines have aluminum 2 bolt mains that are all one piece as a girdle. Those thing hold upwards of 1000hp.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    It's very possible that we could hold plenty power with 2 bolt mains. A girdle is very possible, as far as converting to 4 bolt mains, it's possible on some engines, and not others. Depends on the amount of material available in the block for extra bolt holes.

A girdle is possible. The Mazda/Ford 2.3 turbo engines have aluminum 2 bolt mains that are all one piece as a girdle. Those thing hold upwards of 1000hp.
    I’ll do some research on that.. That would be awesome if a girdle would fit.. do you know if this little engine has anymore limiting factors to make hp? I’ve read that the combustion chamber on these fire quickly.. would this affect the amount of boost? Or power

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One more question.. so would it be beneficial to bore out the cylinder and add a liner.. reason is to add displacement.. if possible what would be the max you would safely bore it out.. in theory if I was gonna spend the money getting custom pistons made might as well try to add a couple cubes

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Girdle type mains could be machined from scratch. As for adding displacement, the block could be machined for proper billet sleeves and bored out a little bigger. Probably not by much though. Another potential weak spot is the factory valve springs, and the lack of larger camshafts.

To be honest, by this point one would have spent so much money, that I think swapping to a 4 cylinder that already makes a ton of power might make more sense like the 4b11t or the 4g63.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    To be honest, by this point one would have spent so much money, that I think swapping to a 4 cylinder that already makes a ton of power might make more sense like the 4b11t or the 4g63.
    Good point!
    Also start with a chassis that can handle the increased horsepower, torque, vehicle speed, requisite braking, stability through wheelbase length, track width, and overall height.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just look at the differences between the Lancer and Lancer Evolution to see what chassis, suspension and brake upgrades went along with the modest power increase.
    I had a 91 CRX with a B18C5 swap. Upgraded brakes and added a front diff and it was a blast. Added a turbo and hated driving the car. It came off in a month. Every platform has its limits and a point of diminishing return.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Girdle type mains could be machined from scratch. As for adding displacement, the block could be machined for proper billet sleeves and bored out a little bigger. Probably not by much though. Another potential weak spot is the factory valve springs, and the lack of larger camshafts.

I’ve actually thought about this and I can’t decide if it would be easier and more cost effective to swap a 4 cylinder in it or to upgrade the 3 cylinder.. both seem to be pretty in depth however I’m still thinking that a 4 cylinder would be the best option as you could but the whole drivetrain out of whatever donor vehicle( I think I decided a lancer would be best I can’t remember off the top of my head) .. wish I could get around to do something to this little car but I got so many project as is right now lol

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    https://youtu.be/QAJj187mUE8 he already done it.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I’ve actually thought about this and I can’t decide if it would be easier and more cost effective to swap a 4 cylinder in it or to upgrade the 3 cylinder.. both seem to be pretty in depth however I’m still thinking that a 4 cylinder would be the best option as you could but the whole drivetrain out of whatever donor vehicle( I think I decided a lancer would be best I can’t remember off the top of my head) .. wish I could get around to do something to this little car but I got so many project as is right now lol
    the 4G63 and 4b11 is too big 4G15T from colt ralliart is a better option its only 1500CC not that big because its also from a hatchback almost the size of mirage, and its a cast iron bore its like a smaller version of 4g63t.
    Name:  960.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  90.8 KB