Thread: Exhaust Ideas ... again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts

Exhaust Ideas ... again.

Guys -

I started a new thread because I would just like to throw out ideas. And ask a few questions. I have a regular day job / career. But I also sell an exhaust product via the internet, for a specific vehicle. It is not something that would work on or for the Mirage.

What is driving me is that, our 3-Tapper has a very unique and interesting sound to it. It doesn't sound badass IMO, but it does sound good. Better than a Civic, to be sure.

I would like to enhance it. By enhance I mean, I want it to be somewhat louder, but not fart can loud. I've heard a few exhausts here of the Mirage from the site. They are almost good. By almost I mean ... they are just a touch too loud, maybe a touch too deep (for such a teeny little engine). And when they get deep, they are starting to sound a bit fart cannish. And lastly, what I have seen are too expensive ... for a Mirage. It is an inexpensive car, so anything to mod the exhaust should also be inexpensive. I'm wondering if there is a way to get just the right sound, for cheap. Granted it may not be possible.

I do not do this for anything other than sound. I have no desire to chase hp in such a car. On the other hand, I would not be interested in producing something that would negatively effect hp output.

So this thread is just a way to discuss ideas. My first question is, in the sketch below, I think the red-shaded area of the exhaust is a resonator. Not a muffler. Am I correct? And has anyone simply removed the resonator? If so, is there a video of that sound?

Name:  Exhaust 1.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  48.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wooooo hooooo! I have an idea! But now, to have the balls to experiment on my own Mirage...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Found this thread: Mirage Resonator Delete

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem I have is that I want the same TONE the 3A92 has stock but louder and deeper. The problem with every exhaust mod I have seen to this point is that it gets louder but the tone goes UP and it gets raspy. I want the deep baby 3-71 Detroit sound that the car has stock but just meatier. I intend to experiment with echo tips one of these days, I just haven't yet...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think ours sounds like a Kubota or Yanmar 3-cylinder diesel!
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    The problem I have is that I want the same TONE the 3A92 has stock but louder and deeper.
    Me too. My idea (I won't share yet) is having feasibility problems. And likely it would not go deeper as well.