Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably another dead cvt

Probably another dead cvt

I made a thread for this one car a while back that had the shift indicator flashing. I changed the fluid, then the valve body and it's been good for over a year now. Until the other day it had the flashing indicator again and threw a p0876 iirc. Driver said it was stalling on him and now it won't move or stay running in gear. Sounds pooched. Will verify later today. It's 33c/91F outside and climbing, yay!

Car is a 2015 with 320xxxkm I'm done trying to patch it. Time to replace it.
    Of course I couldn't get it to act up on me the other day so I put the driver back in it this morning...They were complaining that it was surging.

Also had a car break down after fueling up while I was off work. Had it towed in, and it started fine when it got here. Probably that purge valve on the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-29-2021),dragon2knight (06-29-2021)

Well, car doesn't start. Has a random missfire code and one for the map sensor. Fun!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-29-2021)

Might as well change the title of this thread to "assuming makes an ass out of.....

I'll blame the brain cells I killed with beer this past weekend and the heat.

I opened up the engine wiring harness where I had a map sensor code on a different car. Wires looked fine. Tried to start it again, nothing. Scanned it again and this time had 3 codes instead of two.
    Had the p0300 Missfire code, P0068 for the map/afs and now got a p0335 for the crank sensor. I noticed the tach didn't move while cranking it over. Odd. I didn't pull the spark plugs yet. It didn't try to fire at all.

I cut open the wiring harness along the top of the intake along the usual zip tied too tight spots. Found one wire with the insulation starting to wear away nearest the alternator but it didn't appear to have any broken strands.

I went back towards the drivers(lh) side of the harness and finally found a wire that was completely broken apart, only the insulation was hanging on by a thread. I stuck a hacky jumper wire in there and the car fired right up instantly.
    Will post pics later if I have time. Figured I'd update this before Dirk saw it lol.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-29-2021),Dirk Diggler (07-01-2021),dragon2knight (07-02-2021),inuvik (06-29-2021),Wil B (06-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like the unfortunate long term issue for these cars will be the dental floss they used for wiring...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Sounds like the unfortunate long term issue for these cars will be the dental floss they used for wiring...
    thats quite true especially the first generation 12-15, we always encounter excessive engine vibration complain and the lack of body grounding is the culprit, the harness is like deteriorating over time, but they corrected that problem on 2016-above models.

Does grounding mean something different over there? Here it means the circuit isn't properly grounded. This isn't the case here. The wire insulation is thin and chafes then breaks. Usually right where the over-tightened zip ties happen to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    You are the mostest correctest. I've got another car inside right now with a broken wire in the exact same spot. The zip tie spot nearest the fuel line on the drivers side. This car is throwing the battery light at random.
    It's pretty clear they did not fix this problem with the 2016+ models as this car is a 2017 with 185xxxkms. It's been beaten like a Tijuana street corner zebra donkey.

Update on the tijuana street donkey. Car is now charging properly. Engine light is one because of a po498(iirc). Evap solenoid wires at the back of the car are torn up.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-30-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Almost sounds like it would be a good idea to loosen up those zip ties on my cars before the wiring breaks.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Or back them all off/cut them the give the harness a few extra wraps of tape or maybe some conduit.
    And now I have a 2017 with a flashing D while driving. Pulled a low line pressure code. A shop looked at it quick and said it looked like the transmission was leaking. More at 11.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Does grounding mean something different over there? Here it means the circuit isn't properly grounded. This isn't the case here. The wire insulation is thin and chafes then breaks. Usually right where the over-tightened zip ties happen to be.
    its the same, the problem is even if the wire insulation is looks good when you exposed the copper some strands is already gone its like decaying from the inside especially on that bunch of wire that ground (earth) part, its so hard to diagnose back then because mirage is new and the computer is not giving any code, but when we discovered that problem we just simply reinforce that grounding i remember on some cases we install additional earthing and its like magic the problem is gone, in my 5 years of working here i can say there's a lot of improvements on this particular vehicle compared to the old models.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-19-2023)