Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Temperature Light - Green (comes on after cold start)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    because automobile engines are built to tight tolerances, and different metals in the engine heat(expand) differently, you should warm your engine up particular if you live in the cold (or at the least low rpm until your heated..)..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love that I own a car that the biggest complaint on the engine/transmission forum is someone asking what a beneficial light means

....great little car so far!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi, i got the same symptoms here in Canada, i just got this new car last week and the green light turns on a few minutes after start. If you are wondering how low this car can go, here we are in extreme cold warnings and the temperature is about -27C or -17F. This is very cold, the engine starts perfectly but the sound becomes normal after 30 seconds. The green light turns off after a few minutes. The CVT seems to act more slowly with this cold, but i think this is all normal. So yes, this little car can run on extreme cold conditions! Thanks for all your help!
    Daniel

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, but the green light appears even on the new 2019 Mirage. The user manual briefly mentions the red light, but I don't remember reading about the green light. Anyways, it is a nice reminder, but I wish the user manual would explain a little more detail on exactly "when" it is ok to drive a little faster. I don't really know what they mean by easy, so I basically drive in creep mode til I exit the parking lot, which is sort of what I should do anyways. The first road I typically accelerate from 10-35, and after a minute go above 40. I try to keep it under 40 til the light goes off. A counter or temp light suggesting it's about to turn off would also help, but I realize that would confuse drivers even more.

Less is more. Usually

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Sorry for reviving this old thread
    Don't worry about posting in old threads. It makes relevant information easier to find for future searches.

Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Less is more. Usually
    Pretty much!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I fire mine up every morning, and I'm shifting, full throttle to 4000rpm long before the light is off.

It's fine. Once the car is above "luke warm" your golden.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Comes on anytime the coolant temperature is under 140F on my 2015. I have an ultragauge, and know what the actual temp is when that comes on/goes off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wubbalubbadubdub View Post
    Comes on anytime the coolant temperature is under 140F on my 2015. I have an ultragauge, and know what the actual temp is when that comes on/goes off.
    The green light on my 2017 Mirage is no different than the blue light on 2011 Subaru Forester.

I miss/prefer a coolant engine temperature gauge myself. I also realize one can be added, but I apparently don't miss it that much!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I fire mine up every morning, and I'm shifting, full throttle to 4000rpm long before the light is off.

It's fine. Once the car is above "luke warm" your golden.
    "Warming up your car before driving is a leftover practice from a time when carbureted engines dominated the roads. Carburetors mix gasoline and air to make vaporized fuel to run an engine, but they don't have sensors that tweak the amount of gasoline when it's cold out—they use a mechanical system called a "choke" to temporarily restrict the air intake and run a richer mixture."

Taken from - https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-harms-engine/

I don't miss cars with carburetors at all. My first car - a 1978 Honda Civic Wagon still had a hand choke on the dash to pull out. Any small car that I owned back in those days had major carburetor issues during cold weather. I don't miss those headaches at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The green light on my 2017 Mirage is no different than the blue light on 2011 Subaru Forester.

I miss/prefer a coolant engine temperature gauge myself. I also realize one can be added, but I apparently don't miss it that much!
    It's handy for knowing when the heat is going to get hot lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wubbalubbadubdub For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-14-2020)