Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spark discontinued. Mirage last subcompact standing?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Chevy Spark discontinued. Mirage last subcompact standing?

https://m.pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?s...2021&no=631900

GM Korea is discontinuing production of once best-selling model Chevrolet Spark compact hatchback from October [2022] next year amid plunging sales at home and abroad.
    Admin update... announcement made for the US/Canada & other markets:

Thread: Chevy Spark discontinued. 2022 is its last model year.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (07-04-2021),Fudge (07-27-2021),Fummins (07-05-2021),inuvik (07-04-2021),MetroMPG (07-08-2021),Wil B (07-04-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think that's a shame, not because I was a particular fan of the Chevy Spark, but that means there are no more "entry-level" new cars anymore.

I'm not sure about everyone on the Forum, but I'm not worth mega-millions, and I'm also not willing to spend $40,000+ on a vehicle I use to get to work.

I want to spend as little as possible to commute! I don't need anything complicated. Dear car companies: stop robbing people with expensive cars, build something for the masses

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (07-04-2021),Dirk Diggler (07-04-2021),Eggman (07-04-2021),foama (07-04-2021),Fudge (07-27-2021),Wil B (07-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think that's a shame, not because I was a particular fan of the Chevy Spark, but that means there are no more "entry-level" new cars anymore.

I'm not sure about everyone on the Forum, but I'm not worth mega-millions, and I'm also not willing to spend $40,000+ on a vehicle I use to get to work.

I want to spend as little as possible to commute! I don't need anything complicated. Dear car companies: stop robbing people with expensive cars, build something for the masses
    There are still a few cars available under $20K US. Not long ago you could snag one for about $10K. Those days are gone.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

I couldn't agree more but at least KIA, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi (while they're still in NA) will be selling subcompacts.

I was just looking at the newest Chevy Sparks today thinking what it would be like to own one. I often see them on the roads and some of the trims look very appealing.

I do believe it's smaller than my Mirage but it's also heavier and less fuel efficient with its 1.4L inline 4 ECOTEC. I noticed the rear seat room is more cramped and the cargo area is also smaller.

However, I still kinda like the Spark, even the EV versions that came out years ago. It's too bad its going away, I will continue driving small inexpensive cars like the Mirage for years to come.
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 07-05-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think my Mirage is a good looking car from the side.

I don't like the front overall, but the grille on my 2014 Mirage looks ok. Just the side is what does justice to the design. The Chevy Spark looks way less sleek when you see them driving around. Maybe I picture my Mirage looking better than it does while moving. I never get to see my car from that perspective. Anyway, you either drive the train, or you see the train, you can't have your cake, and eat it too.

Some people snicker at all small cars, as if their larger consumer product makes them any "bigger" in real life. Clown shoes don't fit anyone so don't try to look so strong. If you have to feel powerful as in domination, well, not a lot on board that train lol.

I wonder if the machismo & tough idiots snicker at my car, because I feel like the guy on the Simpsons episode, very tall, driving a very small car, "the only automobile I can afford." I love my Mirage, but when I wasn't self conscious about the diminutive size of my car, I was fine. Now I think after 151,000 kms or 7.3 years, you are reminded all the time, the ways my Mirage is lacking in the speed and size category. Good downhill and with handling above average.

But when I get snarled in traffic on the rare occasions I don't drive in the country, I would rather have a faster car, and an automatic sometimes even. Just so much less effort all the time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-04-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm not up on all cars, so the Yaris and Mazda 2 are also gone? How about the Fit, though Hondas have grown like crazy the last few years. Second, I'm astonished that we still have, by and large, many, many family vehicles that have a hard time getting any more than 25mpg. I know ICE engines are limited to about 35% efficiency so the answer has always been make smaller, lighter cars to increase the fleet mileage averages.

You know, if we continue to live in mansions and drive 15mpg vehicles then we deserve whatever we get from climate change. If the climate has crossed the Rubicon, and I believe it has, then I guess it doesn't make any difference what people drive or do.

BC canada hit a record temperature of 122F ! Think about that. Equatorial desert temps above the 50th parallel.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm not up on all cars, so the Yaris and Mazda 2 are also gone? How about the Fit, though Hondas have grown like crazy the last few years. Second, I'm astonished that we still have, by and large, many, many family vehicles that have a hard time getting any more than 25mpg. I know ICE engines are limited to about 35% efficiency so the answer has always been make smaller, lighter cars to increase the fleet mileage averages.

You know, if we continue to live in mansions and drive 15mpg vehicles then we deserve whatever we get from climate change. If the climate has crossed the Rubicon, and I believe it has, then I guess it doesn't make any difference what people drive or do.

BC canada hit a record temperature of 122F ! Think about that. Equatorial desert temps above the 50th parallel.
    Mazda2 is gone in Canada now for a while, and I can't speak for the Yaris. I don't think car companies make money with small cars, at least when they are trying to sell them in such small volume, at least in the USA/Canada market.

Mirage can be a hard sell because the car has its "flaws", people are used to a more pampered, higher-sitting and more powerful car. As I get older I can see the appeal of a higher-seat vehicle. I want my 40 MPGs though as well, no way I'm spending a lot of money on gasoline. I have wondered about used VW diesels since they get so much out of a tank.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My favorite things about the Mirage are the price, fuel mileage, and the fact that it fits into most overhead storage compartments.

It's also the only car that i could ever see myself buy brand new. Sure as heck, I'd never be doing a 96 month financing on a $40,000+ vehicle. The fuel savings alone on my Mirage are enough to cover the biweekly payment.

My girlfriend hates my car as she is all about big comfy SUVs. I just can't justify driving a house to work everyday 30+ minutes away. Especially while being the only person in the vehicle 99.9% of the time. We are dog people and have fostered and rescued number of animals already, but I tell her that I also like saving baby seals and polar bears by burning half or even less hydrocarbons than most people around here.

However small cars simply don't sell in North America. Everyone wants luxurious interiors, built in colon massagers, and an AC unit for each testicle. Add to that, domestic manufacturers can't seem to make a reliable car to save their own lives, so the general public opinion of these cars seems pretty poor to begin with.

As for machismo and tough idiots, there is plenty of fragile masculinity out there. Being over 6 feet tall, 290lbs, and a bearded skinhead, I've never had the need for a big and tough vehicle to enhance my masculinity.
    Last edited by Pimp_Daddy_Patty; 07-05-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pimp_Daddy_Patty For This Useful Post:

Wil B (07-06-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    My favorite things about the Mirage are the price, fuel mileage, and the fact that it fits into most overhead storage compartments.

It's also the only car that i could ever see myself buy brand new. Sure as heck, I'd never be doing a 96 month financing on a $40,000+ vehicle. The fuel savings alone on my Mirage are enough to cover the biweekly payment.

My girlfriend hates my car as she is all about big comfy SUVs. I just can't justify driving a house to work everyday 30+ minutes away. Especially while being the only person in the vehicle 99.9% of the time. We are dog people and have fostered and rescued number of animals already, but I tell her that I also like saving baby seals and polar bears by burning half or even less hydrocarbons than most people around here.

However small cars simply don't sell in North America. Everyone wants luxurious interiors, built in colon massagers, and an AC unit for each testicle. Add to that, domestic manufacturers can't seem to make a reliable car to save their own lives, so the general public opinion of these cars seems pretty poor to begin with.

As for machismo and tough idiots, there is plenty of fragile masculinity out there. Being over 6 feet tall, 290lbs, and a bearded skinhead, I've never had the need for a big and tough vehicle to enhance my masculinity.
    Hold up. Is the colon massager an option on the Mirage? I'm asking for a friend....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-05-2021)