Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spark discontinued. Mirage last subcompact standing?

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    FYI, I just got a note from a member of the U.S. Chevrolet Communications team saying they have not confirmed that the 2022 Chevrolet Spark will cease production. Now, of course that could just PR-speak for "We don't know so we're not confirming it." I guess time will tell!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (07-07-2021),MetroMPG (07-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Well, I'm not trying to bring politics into this, so don't read it that way. But with the way things are going with this current administration, it seems the PERFECT time to be releasing fuel sippers (gas prices rising, no evidence of concern about it from our gobment). Maybe even an armored, 3-cylinder 1.0L turbo-diesel with run-flat tires and bullet proof glass for the larger more (ahem) liberal cities. Or maybe a small Mirage sized fuel efficient car / sidewalk camper conversion hatch. If that were on sale now, Venice Beach and San Francisco would be lined up with them. I'd love a Mirage with a 3-cylinder 1.0L turbo-diesel and a 9 speed manual ... that would be too good to be true. 1-2-3-4-5 (flip a switch to high range) 6-7-8-9 (not using the #1 position again). Skip gears if ya wanna. Pipe dreaming. I know 9 speeds are not necessary, but would be luxurious. 9th could make it cruise at 3,250 at 75 mph or something.

Anywho - It just seems like a good time to release a fuel miser. Maybe that makes too much sense though. In any event, if Mitsubishi continues to forge ahead with the Mirage, I think they'll clean up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-07-2021),davidricardo86 (07-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd argue automakers are releasing fuel sippers. But these days, they don't have to be tiny little economy cars, however. For example, a non-hybrid Toyota Camry with the 2.5-liter gets 39 MPG on the highway. Camry Hybrid gets 53 mpg. These days, bigger vehicles are getting better fuel economy. You're going to see more electrification going on in both hybrid and full-EV variants. You're going to see fewer and fewer all-gas versions of cars, and fuel economies are going to continue to go up.

The only reasons to buy a small subcompact car in the U.S. are:

1. You like the size/style of small cars
    2. You can only afford a small car

And diesel is not going to be the future here or anywhere else. The future will be electrified. (PS: I have three turbo-diesel vehicles.)

Americans only like small vehicles when they want. They don't seek out to buy them. Automakers like selling them even less than Americans like to buy them. They're low-profit and low-volume.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post

I aren't in the U.S. but I don't fall into either one of those categories. I just like not having to fix something all the time and it's cost's next to nothing to drive. If a 540i or any other high cost-ownership-mobile was as reliable and cheap to drive I'd go buy one of them instead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-07-2021),MetroMPG (07-08-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I aren't in the U.S. but I don't fall into either one of those categories. I just like not having to fix something all the time and it's cost's next to nothing to drive. If a 540i or any other high cost-ownership-mobile was as reliable and cheap to drive I'd go buy one of them instead.
    Amen to that

I'd argue automakers are releasing fuel sippers. But these days, they don't have to be tiny little economy cars, however. For example, a non-hybrid Toyota Camry with the 2.5-liter gets 39 MPG on the highway. Camry Hybrid gets 53 mpg. These days, bigger vehicles are getting better fuel economy. You're going to see more electrification going on in both hybrid and full-EV variants. You're going to see fewer and fewer all-gas versions of cars, and fuel economies are going to continue to go up.

And diesel is not going to be the future here or anywhere else. The future will be electrified. (PS: I have three turbo-diesel vehicles.)

Americans only like small vehicles when they want. They don't seek out to buy them. Automakers like selling them even less than Americans like to buy them. They're low-profit and low-volume.
    I know I'm in the minority:

1. Yes, I do like size/style of small cars
    2. Yes if I'm being 100% honest with myself, but if i lied to myself enough i'd go finance a $40,000 Tesla Model 3. It just wouldn't be the wisest thing for me to do at this point in time

I really do like the Mirage and I hope it doesn't get discontinued any time soon. I would like to buy a new one some day and keep it garage stored and only drive it on nice days (no snow/winters).

If the Spark is truly discontinued, I hope potential buyers turn to the Mirage and Mitsubishi keeps on selling them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts

Or you're just a cheap ass who likes to save $$ and appreciates the Mirage for what it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (07-07-2021),Fudge (07-27-2021),Fummins (07-07-2021),MetroMPG (07-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't think a small car's size, such as the Mirage, Chevy Spark, Fiat 500, Ford Fiesta, etc., is necessarily in line with not having to fix stuff, however. I know owners of plenty-big cars that have low ownership costs.

FYI, I just got a note from a member of the U.S. Chevrolet Communications team saying they have not confirmed that the 2022 Chevrolet Spark will cease production. Now, of course that could just PR-speak for "We don't know so we're not confirming it." I guess time will tell!
    I thought the default response from automakers on questions like this was:

"Sorry, but we don't comment on future product plans."

If it's true that the Spark is going bye-bye for North America, I suspect it's just a matter of time before Mitsu also pulls the plug on the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think a small car's size, such as the Mirage, Chevy Spark, Fiat 500, Ford Fiesta, etc., is necessarily in line with not having to fix stuff, however. I know owners of plenty-big cars that have low ownership costs.
    Mitsubishi Outlander