Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CSI: rear wheel arch rust. Seal these fasteners!

When I filled the cavity with water, I didn't see any leakage around that area. Water would have seeped a lot faster than oil/grease. That makes me wonder about inconsistent sealing.

And I only tried it on one side. I haven't opened the left side yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    When I filled the cavity with water, I didn't see any leakage around that area. Water would have seeped a lot faster than oil/grease. That makes me wonder about inconsistent sealing.

And I only tried it on one side. I haven't opened the left side yet.
    I think so too.
    Not sure if there is a TSB/ GSB/ SSM or not.
    Still, Thank you for this thread, giving me some awareness of rear quarter panel corrosion prevention.

Mine leaks out both sides. 1st and 2nd pics are driver side. The last one is passenger side.
    My little mirage is actually more than 2 years old. It was sitting at dealer, less than 50km, for a year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES Limited 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a great find for me, I have what I would consider more than acceptable rust on both sides of my rear panel. I've been meaning to sand down and fix it and spray over it matching as best I can. Now I see that might not be a long term solution if moisture just gets in there again. One of these days when I have time I'm going to have to check mine out and see if it's the same issues as all of yours, whether it's a fastener or a bad seal or what. My mirage is 7 years old living outside in a northern climate, salty and wet in the winter, hot and humid in the summer.

I'm not a body guy or anything, just a machinist here, I wonder if drilling a small hole or two at the bottom of the panel would allow water to drain off? Or would that just let extra road grime in and cause faster corrosion, making the problem even worse? I imagine the later is the most likely answer. I'll have to look for some of that cavity wax if it really works too. Definitely going to check out that mirage rust thread that someone linked here as well.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Spray them down again....Name:  IMG_20210802_122153.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  99.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES Limited 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MigWay For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-25-2022)

Found ANOTHER possible source of water ingress to the fender

I recently had the rear bumper cover off my white Mirage, and discovered another possible path that water is getting into the rear fender/arch area:

Name:  mirage-rear-hole-under-bumper.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  93.2 KB

Obviously not a pic of my car... I thought I had snapped a few, but I can't find them.

Regardless, the arrow points to a factory HOLE through the bodywork where there's a 3-layer sandwich of sheet metal: 1) the rear fascia, 2) the outer fender, 3) the inner fender.

(First of all, what the heck is this hole even for??? None of the bumper hardware goes through it, at least on the North American car).)

There is a very thin (inadequate) bead of seam sealer around the lip of this hole.

Critically, this hole is directly hit by tire spray in the rear wheel well.

The sealant around the hole on my car was very sparse & cracked, and it was clear that water has been getting in between the sheetmetal layers in this area. This area has direct access between the layers to the problem spot on the wheel arch where water sits & causes rust.

So.... get the rear bumper off your car and seal this hole!

Thread: How to: remove Mirage/Space Star front & rear plastic bumper covers (front pic)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I guess next summer I pull off the bumpers and trim and track down the rust. Whatever I find I'll kill with Evaporust (pricy) but guaranteed to convert rust to iron. Then I'll spray the area well with a wax based sealer on a hot day to get it flowing into the seams.

I am miffed that Mits chose to use steel with less corrosion resistance than slightly weaker steel that stands up better. I can't recall where I read that.

I have those bubbles on my '14 but only on the left rear. My '17 is fine but it's been Krowned 2x. I'll give it a 3rd go this month.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)