Thread: AutoGuide does not hate the 2021 Mirage! ALSO: Mirage buyers are poor.

AutoGuide does not hate the 2021 Mirage! ALSO: Mirage buyers are poor.

The last Autoguide review of the Mirage I saw (2015?) absolutely SLAMMED it. It was pretty ruthless. I think the reviewer literally laughed at the car.

This one? Not so much.

What's going on? Here we have yet another Canadian review (though Autoguide usually likes to pretend it's American) that gives the car a fair shake:

With the latest round of improvements for the 2021 model year, the Mirage proves cheap and cheerful can still co-exist in today’s crossover-obsessed market.
    I know that Mitsubishi Canada has a new public relations manager. I'd love to know what she's saying to these autojournos to manage their expectations so well ahead of the test drives.

This is a rare review that even compliments the car's CVT for one of the things it does very well (very LOW cruising RPM at low load):

it will happily hold the Mirage level with the average speed around Toronto’s surrounding highways with minimal revs.
    Now what's this about Mirage buyers being poor?

Mitsu apparently fed this writer some buyer stats:

One of the most telling Mirage stats: the average buyer’s household income ($56,702 CAD) isn’t just less than those buying the competition, it’s less than the country’s average ($62,900). In this part of the market, every dollar counts.
    And on to the unusually level-headed conclusion:

This is a car for the folks that need a straight-forward, modest mode of transportation with the peace of mind only a 10-year, 100,000-mile (160,000-km) warranty can provide. It is the car as a tool—yet spend some time with the Mirage, and it’s hard not to appreciate its honest charms.
    Read the whole review: https://www.autoguide.com/manufactur...ss-for-purpose

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-09-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Good piece, that review had a lot more flavour and personality than a lot of divisive reviews for our Mirage. Sounds like the base model still has roll-down windows in the back on the base LE (now). Not sure about in the States.

Their tester is a sharp looking Mirage. Yes, my "miniature Mitsubishi is back-to-basics"

I have noticed that my 8 year old 2013/2014 Mirage is getting the rattles pretty bad all over the place lol. My car drives fine and gets 4.4 L / 100 km's - 5.0 L /100 km's @ 80 km's per hour. That's my dash computer's reading, may be a few orange slices short of an orange, but a ballpark good idea of great mpgs.

Mirages are humble and nimble, and even kinda entertaining in city driving. You can take advantage of situations, but you do have to think ahead with speed... since you can't just stop and go fast and slow like a Tesla. That can't be safe in every situation. Like those kids who stole their dad's Porsche in Toronto and sliced it in two.Name:  review thing.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  90.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-09-2021)

I'm surprised yours is rattly. Last evening I drove my new-to-me 2014 (2013 build date) with 175k km on it to the grocery store and it's as tight as a drum. How are the roads you drive on?

I think the reviewer is on the money (pardon the pun) when he suggests avoiding the top trim car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's a good point. The road on the way home where I get the rattles, is that half-paved stuff. Not gravel, and not quite paved.

Anyways it's a shortcut for me, but come to think of it, I hear the rattles way worse on the way home, when I'm taking that rougher road.

My Mirage is in good shape, but I have always found it to have the notorious dash rattle, as well as the rear hatch is a real rattle source. I could have gotten "the one" built on the last hour of a Friday before a long weekend in Thailand. Still has been a good car. And I will take some photos of how Krown does its thing. People do oil spray DIY including the plug holes. I know someone who does it himself but he has a scissor lift thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    And I will take some photos of how Krown does its thing.
    Photos would be nice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-09-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'm surprised yours is rattly. Last evening I drove my new-to-me 2014 (2013 build date) with 175k km on it to the grocery store and it's as tight as a drum. How are the roads you drive on?

I think the reviewer is on the money (pardon the pun) when he suggests avoiding the top trim car.
    I was on the freeway earlier, and I heard 0 rattles in my cabin, so it must be the rougher roads that bring out the rattles. My Mirage was perfectly fine, alignment is great even at 120 km's an hour. Can't hear much with my window half down and the engine noise though and my jazz music on loud

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Can't hear much with my window half down and the engine noise though and my jazz music on loud
    Maybe the jazz misic was what was rattling. I kid, I kid. All jazz aficionado's chill.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-10-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Maybe the jazz misic was what was rattling. I kid, I kid. All jazz aficionado's chill.
    My friend has a trumpet and it can break glass for sure. The thing is loud