Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Galant at local used car lot has nearly 1,000,000 km (620k mi).

Mitsubishi Galant at local used car lot has nearly 1,000,000 km (620k mi).

I just discovered that a very unremarkable looking Mitsubishi I've seen around here for years is actually pretty remarkable:

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  41.4 KB

(Not the actual car)

It has almost a million kilometers on it!

I've seen it parked at a used car lot near where I live, and was chatting with one of the sales guys recently who told me the owner of the lot actually drives it daily and it's still on the original drivetrain, which has never been cracked open.

Lots of tires, brakes, exhaust work, and probably an alternator and water pump or two.

But that's still impressive for such an unimpressive car.

Sorta in the same vein as:

Thread: 2014 Mirage with 414,520 miles / 667,105 kilometers @ White Bear Mitsubishi, MN, USA

Maybe some of that engineering DNA made it into our Mirages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-09-2021)

That's impressive. It's too bad most things now are basically designed not to last.

I watched a lube tuve vijeo last night about the light bulb cartel/conspiracy of the 1920's. Vedy interesting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I saw that one too. An actual, real conspiracy!

Occasionally I read about the opposite: the "fat years" or "bubble years" for Honda and Toyota, where they were competing to equate their brands as top quality carmakers by over-engineering everything to last forever.

Maybe the early to mid-2000's?

And now they've dialed it way back and are coasting on their reputations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I saw that one too. An actual, real conspiracy!

Occasionally I read about the opposite: the "fat years" or "bubble years" for Honda and Toyota, where they were competing to equate their brands as top quality carmakers by over-engineering everything to last forever.

Maybe the early to mid-2000's?

And now they've dialed it way back and are coasting on their reputations.

I test drove a 2010 Civic before I bought my Mirage; I think it ended well before then. Rattle trap, headliner adhesive failing, very disappointing. I'd go back to 94 to 2000.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I'd go back to 94 to 2000.
    Yeah, that seems more like it.

I remember Jalopnik running a joke article about a letter from Toyota to owners of ~25 year-old Camries from the 90's to please trade them in for new ones even though they're not worn out yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

At the risk of hijacking the thread, what about "in my day, if you wanted fresh air, you opened one of the wing windows and the outside air vent at your feet". Dad's '71 Custom 10 I inherited and promptly wrecked in '82. It also had this weird thing in it called an "ashtray"...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-09-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    thats an odd looking galant..ive never seen that in actual.

It is odd looking.

You know how sometimes an advertiser wants a generic looking car to use in an ad that doesn't resemble any specific brand, but kind of reminds you of some other brands? It's as if Mitsu designed this car for that purpose.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It is odd looking.

You know how sometimes an advertiser wants a generic looking car to use in an ad that doesn't resemble any specific brand, but kind of reminds you of some other brands? It's as if Mitsu designed this car for that purpose.
    yah!!its like a car from a raffle contest that they dont want to advertise because its not sponsored by that brand...but the last generation galant look like this.Name:  37b09ef5-8-d8f8.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  36.8 KB (credit to the owner) we still having this model in our shop once in a while its quick for a full size sedan, and a gas thirsty engine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-12-2021)