Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me, my new Mirage, and my girlfriend's opinion...

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Me, my new Mirage, and my girlfriend's opinion...

Hi all. I just bought my new Mirage G4.

I didn't know a thing about the Mirage (or that they even existed) when I was recently shopping for a "new" car. All I knew was that I wanted a sedan, and that I was resigned to buying a pre owned sedan because I'm cheap that way.

I first became aware of the Mirage when I saw a used one in town and the price was right. I googled "Mirage" and found a local dealership that had new 2021 G4's on sale for around $1500 more than the used one. I took a 12 mile test drive in the new G4 and bought it on the spot. That was June 9th (my birthday).

Now I'm one month into Mirage ownership and all I can say is "I LOVE this car!"

My girlfriend is a sedan loyalist too but she's a little more uppitity in her car preference. She bought a new Ford Taurus in 2008. It was a nice car (V6 engine) but the payments about ate her alive. When it came time to trade it in in 2018 she bought a lightly used Chrysler 200. Again, a sporty sedan with all the power and amenities you could want, along with a fat price, big payments and no new car warranty.

On my new car shopping day she was kind and drove me to the Mitsu dealership (my birthday). She insisted that I do my own shopping and that she would wait in her car for me and play on her cell phone. 90 minutes later I came out of the dealership with the keys to my new G4. We drove home independently and she never even took a close look at what I bought.

Two days later, as I arrived home from work, she was leaving to go shopping. She said "give me the keys, go in the house, I wan't to try your car." I readily obliged. I was tired and I certainly didn't want to go shopping.

She came home and just had to let me know her opinion about my shiny new Mirage G4. She named it Putt-Putt. Every word she now speaks about my Mirage is in the mental frame and words "Putt-Putt". In the last month that name has stuck. I might as well get a "Putt-Putt" decal and put it in the rear window. I even call it Putt-Putt as I lovingly wash it and vacuum it and drive it.

I'm not mad... we both laugh about it. In jest I challenged her to race me in her big bad Chrysler 200 up on the highway. We both grinned, and to be perfectly honest, I think in a pedal to the metal race her and the Chrysler just might beat my Mitsubishi (maybe by a lot). The race never happened.

So, putt-putt it is. When we refer to our cars, her Chrysler is still called "the Chrysler" and my Mitsubishi is now called "Putt-Putt". That has become the language we speak.

I hung my spare key up on the family keys hook and proudly let her know that when her Chrysler breaks down (again) she is free to drive "Putt-Putt" while her car is in the shop for expensive out of pocket repairs.

I think she appreciates that. It brings her comfort knowing that me and Putt-Putt have got her back.
    I LOVE MY CAR!!!!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dberry For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-11-2021),davidricardo86 (07-12-2021),dragon2knight (07-11-2021),inuvik (07-12-2021),MetroMPG (07-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. Always good to have another G4 owner, we're a tad underrepresented on here. I agree with the "putt putt" analogy, did your girlfriend ever play any of the"putt putt saves the zoo" games on PC growing up? May be where that came from.Name:  Capture+_2021-07-10-06-40-32~2.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  96.1 KB

Glad you are enjoying you new purchase. Welcome to many years of trouble free driving. Your GF 200 seems to confirm everything Ive heard about those cars. True story: while shopping for my G4, I had a used car salesman going thru his inventory on his computer for what he had in the price range of what I wanted to spend. He came to a 200 and said "you don't want one of these, theyre not very good cars". I already knew that, but I appreciated the honesty!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dberry View Post
    I LOVE MY CAR!!!!
    Hello dberry and welcome to forum. Glad to hear that you found the right car for you. With care and maintenance it should last a long time.

And great nickname too.

Here’s to many reliable miles for you and your new Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dberry View Post
    Hi all. I just bought my new Mirage G4. I LOVE MY CAR!!!!
    Since a Chrysler 200 has 184 hp (4 cylinder) or 295 hp (V6), I probably wouldn't race your girlfriend's car with Putt-Putt.

Glad you're enjoying your G4! Welcome to the forum!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since a Chrysler 200 has 184 hp (4 cylinder) or 295 hp (V6), I probably wouldn't race your girlfriend's car with Putt-Putt.

Glad you're enjoying your G4! Welcome to the forum!
    That Pentastar 3.6L V6 in the 2-door Jeep Wrangler makes the Wrangler quicker/faster than any Wrangler should be given their old-school chassis and lack of handling. Still miss my Jeep though.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the party!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i think you can win the race! have both cars full tank and race till both cars reach empty you will win for sure.. welcome to the forum!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    i think you can win the race! have both cars full tank and race till both cars reach empty you will win for sure.. welcome to the forum!!
    Sounds like the "Tortoise & the Hare" to me!

Welcome to the group, dberry!

Glad you're enjoying your G4 and the peace of mind with that LOOOOONG warranty (which you probably won't even need).

Mitsubishi Canada only sold the G4 here for a couple of years -- Canadians vastly prefer hatchbacks for small cars. So a G4 sighting is extremely rare. But I had the chance to drive one (top trim with CVT) for a week or so and I liked it.

Shocking amount of rear seat room for a small car, eh?

Feel free to add a garage entry for yours:

Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    I like the G4, I think it is sharp. I only went for the hatch because I have never had a hatch. It has its pluses and negatives. I'm good with the hatch. Your girlfriend's taste in cars is horrible, she seems to only buy turds. However, at least she's not an SUV snob turd buyer. Good luck with your G4!

And actually, I kind of like the name putt-putt. I don't hear it and think of it negatively. Admittedly, it IS slow, but for GOOD reason. It's putt-putt in it's fuel consumption too. Her name creation is / was quite good.

Last edited by 7milesout; 07-12-2021 at 03:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-12-2021),Dirk Diggler (07-13-2021)