Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taking advantage of high used car prices...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I wish I could sell my 2014 Mirage state-side right now.

I love my Mirage, but around here I seem to get pushed around on the road by big trucks and SUVs all the time. Kinda annoying when I'm driving home tired from work all day.. after driving big trucks all day... to then be harassed by meany grocery-getter trucks, not used for anything trucky, thinking their king of the road. Whatever happened to the golden rule anybody?

Sad that inflation is so bad in the States, but even sadder that I can't drive my Mirage without getting harrassed by macho men and women, who think they're driving a turret high up in their pickup truck. Drives me nuts.
    dspace9 - This is somewhat of a sensitive issue with me. As I'm the one who (on an occasion) drives a big ole pickup truck. FWIW, you may appreciate this, when I'm driving around in my big ole pickup truck, I try to drive it as nice, civil, respectful, non intimidating as I can. I always have. As I know just how much potential energy that thing is loaded with at speed.

I did have an accident with my 7,130 pound truck about 3 years ago. A goofball driver in an Altima got cut-off in traffic (not the goofball's fault) by a local "Marshall" truck. The goofball exaggerated the fact he was cutoff by coming to a (totally unnecessary) full stop while indicating to the Marshall he was #1, but using the wrong finger. Me? I'm about 50 yards behind the goofball, and the words MARSHALL caught my eye as I noticed it cut off the goofball. And I was thinking, "what an example that ass just set." Yes, I screwed up. I took my eyes off the goofball, during his exaggeration to come to a full stop. When I got my eyes back where they should have been, it was like the Titanic and the iceberg. There just wasn't enough time and space to change the direction quick enough. If you're imagining the character Shrek stomping his brake pedal through the floor, and giving full left rudder at the same time, you'd be very accurate. A 7,130 pound pickup truck doesn't react like a sports car, and now there is one less Altima on the road. The truck drove home ($1,900 in repairs). I sat and talked to the goofball a while. He was an OK young man. He admitted he shouldn't have done it, but what's done is done. And I told him I had fixated on the MARSHALL that cut him off, not expecting him to stop. Glad he was OK. Thinking back on it ... neither of my front impact airbags deployed. Also can still "feel" the impact. I can tell you it was gentle compared to the hundreds (maybe thousands) of impacts I took playing football (years worth, including my first year of college).

Sorry for the long story. But I don't WANT to hurt anyone with my big truck. So I kind of tippy-toe around with it and try not to bully anyone with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    An additional positive note about that trailer is, it has bigger wheels and tires (for a utility trailer). Which is just all around better. My trailer is about that same size, without the side walls. Mine has side rails. I might get a picture of it hooked to my Mirage if I get the hitch installed this week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Why do people waste their money, I don't know, if someone has a lot to burn, doesn't matter I guess? but I never had that attitude. My gas payments are like $19 a week when gas is high lol, so yea joke is on them
    Don't forget that some people buy expensive cars/trucks (even if they can't afford it) just to show-off or project an image of wealth or importance. Similarly, a person could buy a high end & expensive wristwatch which tells time exactly as a simple Timex watch, but that high end watch is far better at displaying social status one wants to present to others. A car, like a wristwatch, can be a used in a same manner (as a status symbol).

As for myselft, my G4 is a perfect representation of my wealth, status, and social prestige (not much)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twister77 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-19-2021),Eggman (07-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    twister - I think most of what you post is true. But I also have to think that people in the community I live, (as well as many others) feel pressured to buy an "upper level" type vehicle in order to feel accepted by the community at large. I'm no better than anyone else. In fact, maybe I'm worse, because those that might snub their nose at me for driving a Mirage, I'm likely to flip them off in indifference ... as childish as it is to flip someone off. And I put "upper level" in quotes because many of the vehicles that fall on the snob list, I actually consider as much lower level than a Mirage.

I do enjoy the process of using less fuel. But I think I found the Mirage VERY interesting, as well as perhaps being one of the last vehicles we will may ever have access to (new), with such a simple, non-connected, setup.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just think it's silly to equate higher status, with a car. Especially a truck.

If "high culture" is things like Steinway pianos and Mozart, good cheese and not cheese slices, I'm just not sure how a new-truck in particular, is anything remotely close to "high class." Education is expensive, so are trucks, but it takes a long time to brew a classy individual, and only a credit card to buy gaudy commercial products.

Just a thought, sorry I wasn't very nuanced earlier, just like I was saying, my personal safety is literally my no. 1 reason for (sorta) wanting to ditch my Mirage. Things are that bad on the roads. Many people seem to have lost their common decency; dog eat dog zero sum attitude about the world. No wonder things are going to crap

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

twister77 (07-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I just think it's silly to equate higher status, with a car. Especially a truck.

If "high culture" is things like Steinway pianos and Mozart, good cheese and not cheese slices, I'm just not sure how a new-truck in particular, is anything remotely close to "high class." Education is expensive, so are trucks, but it takes a long time to brew a classy individual, and only a credit card to buy gaudy commercial products.

Just a thought, sorry I wasn't very nuanced earlier, just like I was saying, my personal safety is literally my no. 1 reason for (sorta) wanting to ditch my Mirage. Things are that bad on the roads. Many people seem to have lost their common decency; dog eat dog zero sum attitude about the world. No wonder things are going to crap
    Everyone that I know well (friends & relatives) can justify owning their trucks. Every one of them tow or haul things that require a full size truck. In some cases a Suburban or Tahoe could do the same, but they aren't any cheaper to purchase.

It has nothing to do with status for them. They are not only hauling large boats or campers, but large trailers to buy roofing supplies, cattle trailers to move or sell them, transporting large tractors with loaders or equipment attached to them, carry large loads of firewood, several pull trailers loaded with several large round bales quite often, the list could go on & on. I'm sure there are people who drive trucks they don't need, but I don't personally know any of them.

I don't need to bash truck owners to feel better about my Mirage. There's room in the world for both of us!

I do, however, believe the world would be a much better place if more people drove a Mirage!!!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm not bashing truckers; I literally have a heavy equipment license.

But I am bashing (wholeheartedly) those arses who're trying to intimidate me on the road.

Nothing to do with building myself up, at the expense of truck drivers. Geesh. Thanks!? lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I'm not bashing truckers; I literally have a heavy equipment license.

But I am bashing (wholeheartedly) those arses who're trying to intimidate me on the road.

Nothing to do with building myself up, at the expense of truck drivers. Geesh. Thanks!? lol
    Most people are polite drivers, but those who aren't really stick out. I just finished 4 hours of driving lessons a bit ago. I am amazed how rude some drivers are around a vehicle that has "student driver" plastered all over it.

Then again, I am amused by people reacting to our driver's education car in parking lots. I make kids drive past the entrances of Walmart. People will see student driver and react in alarm sometimes. I just chuckle with the kids & say, "what are odds of both of us running over that person?" Our cars have dual brakes. We're most likely the safest car in the parking lot!!!!

Is it harder to be a rude driver with a Mirage verses a large pickup truck? Probably!!!! I'd agree with that!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark, you live in rural Wisconsin. People there suck less than towards Chicago or the city dspace9 lives. When I'm using my Prius C for taxi work it's insane the amount of inbred hick Chevy lovers that come so close to hitting that thing ALL THE TIME because it says Prius on it. I don't drive slow or anything, but they hate it solely because it's a Toyota Prius. I totally get where dspace9 is coming from especially in that car. I have less issues with the hillrods when I'm in my Mirage, which is actually slower than the Prius is.

On another note, I confirmed with the used car manager they'll pay me $3500 for the parts runner if I put the rear seat back in so it's a car again. I'm kinda torn on what to do with it... $3500 (profit, no less) would be pretty nice. I'm sure I can get a hitch for the Prius C and use that to pull the trailer and take over junkyard duties since I've basically had it with Uber/Lyft. Tough decisions to make.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    On another note, I confirmed with the used car manager they'll pay me $3500 for the parts runner if I put the rear seat back in so it's a car again. I'm kinda torn on what to do with it... $3500 (profit, no less) would be pretty nice. I'm sure I can get a hitch for the Prius C and use that to pull the trailer and take over junkyard duties since I've basically had it with Uber/Lyft. Tough decisions to make.
    What would the Prius C get you in today's market? Maybe it would make more sense to let that one go and keep your Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)