Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch hard to press. Solved: warranty replaced pivot shaft, seal, release bearing

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Clutch hard to press. Solved: warranty replaced pivot shaft, seal, release bearing

I drove my wifes car today as it's going to the dealer to fix the drivers side window as its clunking going up and down. Anyway her clutch is a lot harder to push than mine and it never used to be. I'm having the dealer look at it. Seems premature having only 31k miles.

----

Admin edit: some pics of parts in question...

Inside the bell housing:

Name:  2014-2021-mitsubishi-mirage-manual-transmission1.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  68.4 KB

Top view:

Name:  2014-2021-mitsubishi-mirage-manual-transmission2.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  49.8 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-29-2019),MetroMPG (06-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, they fixed the window issue. They said the bolts holding the window regulator came loose and needed tightening. They told me they have seen that before. Okay.

Onto the heavy clutch pedal. They told me they "adjusted " it and it's now "a little better"
    The paperwork stated nothing about an adjustment being performed and the clutch pedal still feels exactly the same.

My mirage has the normal light feeling clutch pedal and I sat in a new mirage on their sales floor and it also felt light.

My wifes car has 31k and I see the op car has only 36k when the cable went.

So I have a call into the Mgr and should hear back tomorrow.

I will keep the forum posted.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. What should it feel like when disconnected?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Thanks guys. What should it feel like when disconnected?
    Anything other than smooth and easy is a fail. Cable assemblies should have no problems or hangups.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They want me to bring car in so they can disconnect it and inspect it's function. Due to schedule of myself and the mgr this will have to unfortunately wait until nearly mid June. I checked both mirages next to each other and the red one has a harder pedal push, which it never did when new. I will keep everyone posted on what is found.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (05-31-2019),Fummins (05-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The red mirage is going in Monday for the clutch cable inspection. Something is obviously faulty so it needs to get resolved. I'll post up afterwards.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Car is at the dealer. They disconnected the clutch cable and it appears smooth and is well lubed still. Seems the linkage going into the transmission is sticky so something within that assembly could be suspect.
    They are seeing how long parts will take to come in.

They let me use a new Outlander sport while they have the mirage. Seems nice and quiet but have not been able to best 28.7mpg mixed so far in it.

I should hear later today ETA on parts. They might need to take the transmission out for this he said.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-21-2019),Fummins (06-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Car is at the dealer. They disconnected the clutch cable and it appears smooth and is well lubed still. Seems the linkage going into the transmission is sticky so something within that assembly could be suspect.
    They are seeing how long parts will take to come in.

They let me use a new Outlander sport while they have the mirage. Seems nice and quiet but have not been able to best 28.7mpg mixed so far in it.

I should hear later today ETA on parts. They might need to take the transmission out for this he said.
    Yes, they will need to separate the manual transmission from the engine in order to determine the cause of the problem.

This video ought to help explain what's inside the bellhousing:

Too bad it's not the cable. That would be an easy repair.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-17-2021)

Good thing you caught this early.

The only clutch I ever wore out was caused by the clutch pivot arm (terminology?) bushing slowly seizing up, which held the clutch and prevented it from fully engaging when the pedal was released.

Because it seized progressively, I didn't notice the problem until the clutch started slipping and the damage was done (clutch already had ~300k kms on it). Someone else getting in and trying the car might have noticed the pedal didn't feel right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah it started to get heavy feeling so slowly my wife never noticed but when I got in her car boy it was at least twice as hard if not more to depress than my mirage.