Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: P0500 OBD-II error/freakout - tire size related (mismatched sizes)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is it? ... My spare is a 115/70r14.
    I assumed the spare was the same (at least close?) to the diameter of the stock tires. I guess it's close enough since the car doesn't have a limited slip differential. I sometimes think that every car is equipped with a Detroit Locker.

If a Mirage spare is a 115/70/14, then my 185-60-15s are roughly 3.5 inches taller than that. I would not put 2 tires with that much size variation on the drive axle...unless I was just limping the car down the road to a tire shop. In theory the Mirage's differential is not a limited slip and would handle the size variation...but I would rather take an extra 5 minutes to put the spare on the rear of the car and not worry about it.

Some size variation is OK since they assume you won't drive faster than 50 mph and you won't drive very far (and the car has an open differential).

If Top Fuel would try 185/65r15 tires next...
    LOL...someone else is going to have to try that combination. I won't own this car long enough to put a second set of new tires on. I will probably give this car to one of my nieces before it needs a new set of tires.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-21-2021 at 08:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If Top Fuel would try 185/65r15 tires next...

LOL...someone else is going to have to try that combination.
    That's what's on the front of my white Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-21-2021)

The plot thickens...

I finally put the 165/65's on the back of the car again and took it for a spin. There was no Christmas tree freakout. Trip length of 8 km = 5 mi.

I think it took a couple of drive cycles before the lights came on last time, so I'll drive it again tomorrow AM and see what happens.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The plot thickens...

I finally put the 165/65's on the back of the car again and took it for a spin. There was no Christmas tree freakout. Trip length of 8 km = 5 mi.

I think it took a couple of drive cycles before the lights came on last time, so I'll drive it again tomorrow AM and see what happens.
    This isn't related at all, because you don't have TPMS. But -

After adding a pair of snow tires without sensors - I've driven to work (12+ miles) with no dash light. About half way home, the TPMS light on the dash light up. After that initial time, the light will flash & stay on every time you take off. It takes 15+ miles before the car reacts the first time, however.

If it does light up again, can you turn off your traction/stability control? Our Mirages have a switch for that. Not sure if all markets are the same. For example - some have auto stop & go & other markets don't.

That's the other part of this - Do you have traction/stability control turned on?