Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with service engine.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Help with service engine.

Now that ive fixed the abs ring problem, i was driving for 25 minutes on the highway and my gas just stop working. I put the car in neutral to be able to move over into a parking lot. The service engine light came on for a minute then shut off. Im at a loss now with the car. My fiancé wants to get rid of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Hey Dunder Mifflin - Don't give up just yet.

What is the year of the car? It sounds like this is electrical in nature. Download a code scanner on your smartphone (assuming you have one), and buy a $10 - $20 OBD-II dongle plug in. It will put you way down the road to resolving this.

Also, when you say your gas just stop working ... do you mean that no matter what level you pushed the gas pedal, the engine speed would not respond? But it did idle, right?

Be as Mickey Mouse as you can with describing the incident. I'm the world's worst at trying to describe something.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Hey Dunder Mifflin - Don't give up just yet.

What is the year of the car? It sounds like this is electrical in nature. Download a code scanner on your smartphone (assuming you have one), and buy a $10 - $20 OBD-II dongle plug in. It will put you way down the road to resolving this.

Also, when you say your gas just stop working ... do you mean that no matter what level you pushed the gas pedal, the engine speed would not respond? But it did idle, right?

Be as Mickey Mouse as you can with describing the incident. I'm the world's worst at trying to describe something.
    So the car doesnt shut off, no matter how hard i push, the car just doesnt move or rev or anything. It just stops.
    Its a 2015 mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Something electrical. But that's all I can estimate. I realize it would be days before you could get the OBD-II dongle but if you had one already we'd probably be 80% further down the road to fixing this. Amazon has plenty of them.

Of course I'm assuming the vehicle is throttle by wire. If it is not, perhaps the throttle cable has come loose somehow. Maybe one of the site geniuses will chime in...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Something electrical. But that's all I can estimate. I realize it would be days before you could get the OBD-II dongle but if you had one already we'd probably be 80% further down the road to fixing this. Amazon has plenty of them.

Of course I'm assuming the vehicle is throttle by wire. If it is not, perhaps the throttle cable has come loose somehow. Maybe one of the site geniuses will chime in...

Its only when im on the highway for more than 20 minutes but ive spent 1500$ on the car already, trying to figure it out.
    The last time ive had the engine scanned, it said a misfire & that was it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadenaaron66 View Post
    Its only when im on the highway for more than 20 minutes but ive spent 1500$ on the car already, trying to figure it out.
    Now thinking it could be something with the electrical in the transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 2,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadenaaron66 View Post
    Misfire codes could indicate a problem with the engine wiring harness.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 2,129 Posts
    Here is an example of what wiring damage can do:

Massive misfire cylinder 1 -- SOLVED (wire corrosion)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Here is an example of what wiring damage can do:

Massive misfire cylinder 1 -- SOLVED (wire corrosion)
    Update; i went to autozone and used an engine coder, it said one code.
    Which was: P0796.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a job for superman! FUMMINS! Where are you.

I copied the below from the internets, so it must be 100% correct. In summary, the problem is in the transmission. I have no idea how difficult or expensive / inexpensive this may be.

"When the P0796 OBD-II trouble code is set, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected a problem with the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid "C". Most automatic transmissions incorporate at least three solenoids that are solenoid A, B and C. The trouble codes related to the "C" solenoid are codes P0795, P0796, P0797, P0798 and P0799. The code set is based on the specific malfunction that alerts the PCM and illuminates the Check Engine Light. The purpose of the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoids is to control the pressure of the fluid for the proper operation of an automatic transmission. The PCM receives an electronic signal based on the pressure within the solenoids. An automatic transmission is controlled by bands and clutches that change gears by having fluid pressure in the right place at the right time. Based on the signals from associated devices monitoring the speed of the vehicle, the PCM controls the pressure solenoids to direct fluid at the appropriate pressure to various hydraulic circuits that change the transmission gear ratio at the correct time. The code P0796 is set by the PCM when the Pressure Control Solenoid "C" is not functioning properly or stuck in the "Off" position."
    That sounds like a geared transmission. I'm not certain how it relates to a cvt. However, the following thread should be an interesting possibly helpful read. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...0796-Limp-Mode