Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do Rear Brakes engage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Thanks for telling me, I had no idea these vehicles come with a brake bias system in place, i just assumed all slave cylinders received the same amount of brake fluid pressure.

ANSWER: Apparently the fancy name for this system is EBD(Electronic Brakeforce distribution) as the name suggests it varies the amount of brake fluid pressure each wheel receives.(generally less brake force is applied to the rear wheels as they are more likely to lockup). The purpose of the system is to reduce the probability of a wheel locking up and activating ABS.
    Brake proportioning valves have been around for a long time - before electronic controls.

Also, drum brakes have a return spring. Not sure that disc brakes have one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Brake proportioning valves have been around for a long time - before electronic controls.

Also, drum brakes have a return spring. Not sure that disc brakes have one.
    The rubbery "piston ring" in a disc brake assy does the job of a return spring. Under pressure it seals real tight and is deformed a little outward by the piston going outward. At pressure release, it goes back and takes the piston a tiny bit with it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    My rear linings have about 80% of lining material left after about 60000miles (100000km).
    I drive my car pretty easily like Foama does. I just checked my rear brakes at 100,000 miles and I still have at least 50% of the linings left (see below). This is not the typical wear that an average Mirage owner can expect...

Name:  RR1.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  98.9 KB

Another consideration with drum brakes is that the brake shoes can get out of adjustment over time as the shoes wear. This means the shoes must move a longer distance to contact the drum when you apply the brakes…which leads to reduced rear braking. Your front brake pads can be firmly contacting the rotors while your rear brake shoes are barely touching the drums.

If you have noticed that you are getting an extra click or two out of your parking brake when you set it, then your rear brakes may be out of adjustment.

Drum brakes are supposed to automatically adjust, but sometimes the automatic adjusting function just doesn’t work very well. If you own a 2014-2015 sold in North America (see pic above of my brakes), there’s not much you can do because of the adjustment mechanism used in these specific models. For all other Mirages, the rear brakes will have a traditional “star-wheel” adjuster you can use to adjust the brake shoes outward more precisely.

When I rotate tires on my cars with drum brakes, I will slide the drums off and adjust the brake shoes manually. In almost all cases, the shoes are slightly out of adjustment and I can usually get at least 2-3 clicks out of the star wheel adjusters (which moves the brake shoes outward closer to the drum). An extra click or two may not seem like a lot, but you can feel a difference in the brakes.

In my last car, I could tell how well my rear brakes were adjusted based on the number of clicks I got pulling up on the parking brake handle. Every couple of clicks of brake adjustment was one less click required when pulling up the parking brake handle.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-22-2021 at 06:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-22-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    by default the front portion of the car is heavier because of the engine placement and our car is equipped with brake load distribution valve so by this its obvious that front brake work harder than the rear, and also you can observed that you change front brake pads more often than rear brake shoe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-23-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Also with regards to fuel economy, if I average 5L/100km then we take into account that you have a 7.5% more efficient 1L engine and we take into account you use lower ethanol fuel than me(lets say 2.5% more energy dense), that means that you have a 10% efficiency advantage over me. Adjusting for that, my comparable fuel economy goes from 5L/100km to 4.5L/100km which means im not driving super ultra significantly worse than you like i would have guessed i was.

My dumbass just realized something, my tires are also 4.9% larger than oem, so if we also take that into account along with the other things i mentioned my comparable mpg to Foama is 4.5*.951=4.28 L/100km which is much more competitive than i would have ever guessed.