Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electrical system upgrade

Country
    United States
    Thanks

electrical system upgrade

Has anyone else considered replacing the low output alternator?
    I want to replace mine or have it rebuilt to put out 120+ amps, doing this I would upgrade the battery as well along with the battery cables to flow the extra juice.

I want to do a stereo upgrade with amplifiers, but I'm afraid the factory alternator would not support it.

Thoughts?...........

I also want to do the remote start (I know I have a manual transmission.....so what)

-Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm no electrician/mechanic/engineer, but I suppose they put that tiny alternator in there for a reason. It may sound stupid, but a bigger alternator might pull more power from the 70hp engine?

If you were going to put a subwoofer (I implied as you said amplifiers, meaning one for highs and one for lows) the extra weight of the sub and the amps will hurt your performance too.

I'm not trying to be a downer as I'm in the same predicament. I currently have a 1kwatt system. No idea how I'll make it work for the mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im Curious to the remote start with manual. You would have to over ride the clutch sensor, or use something to prop the clutch down to engage the ignition...

My brain is now spinning lol. If you can find a way, I would really like to know so I can do it my self!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    A bigger alternator is doable I'm sure. I don't know anything that might drop right in though. Do you know the rating of the OEM alternator?

Alternators only generate the power as it is needed. When you aren't running a ton of stuff, they don't pull as much power from the engine.

I installed a remote start on my 1996 Tercel with a 4 speed manual trans. I just bypassed the clutch switch and made sure I used the emergency brake every single time I parked, and kept it in neutral. FYI, the starter WILL still move your car even with the e-brake on. Don't ask me how I know. Adding a 'neutral switch' should really be a requirement IMO.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    Has anyone else considered replacing the low output alternator?
    I want to replace mine or have it rebuilt to put out 120+ amps, doing this I would upgrade the battery as well along with the battery cables to flow the extra juice.

I want to do a stereo upgrade with amplifiers, but I'm afraid the factory alternator would not support it.

Thoughts?...........

I also want to do the remote start (I know I have a manual transmission.....so what)
    i have upgraded sounds on my mirage and its just fine, but im using a 16 gauge wire for power and ground.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    Im Curious to the remote start with manual. You would have to over ride the clutch sensor, or use something to prop the clutch down to engage the ignition...

My brain is now spinning lol. If you can find a way, I would really like to know so I can do it my self!

I'm pretty sure the clutch safety switch can be easily bypassed at the clutch pedal with some rewiring. It would be smart to put a neutral safety switch on the shifter and an emergency brake switch so it won't start in gear and requires the brake be set. I'm almost positive this would allow the factory/accessory remote starter to work on the car.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pureflipking View Post
    i have upgraded sounds on my mirage and its just fine, but im using a 16 gauge wire for power and ground.

Interesting, what kind of power gain in your stereo did you go with?
    -Billy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    A bigger alternator is doable I'm sure. I don't know anything that might drop right in though. Do you know the rating of the OEM alternator?

Alternators only generate the power as it is needed. When you aren't running a ton of stuff, they don't pull as much power from the engine.

I installed a remote start on my 1996 Tercel with a 4 speed manual trans. I just bypassed the clutch switch and made sure I used the emergency brake every single time I parked, and kept it in neutral. FYI, the starter WILL still move your car even with the e-brake on. Don't ask me how I know. Adding a 'neutral switch' should really be a requirement IMO.
    I can't remember the rating on the OEM unit I saw, but it was either 65 or 85A. I'm not concerned about the potential efficiency drop noted above, but it did cross my mind.

Yeah I had an S-10 that had the clutch switch bypassed....I always park my manuals in neutral with the e-brake set, keeps the brake working and I don't worry about it rolling. A neutral safety switch is definitely required if I do it on my car, no room for that kind of liability.
    -Billy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I'm no electrician/mechanic/engineer, but I suppose they put that tiny alternator in there for a reason. It may sound stupid, but a bigger alternator might pull more power from the 70hp engine?

If you were going to put a subwoofer (I implied as you said amplifiers, meaning one for highs and one for lows) the extra weight of the sub and the amps will hurt your performance too.

I'm not trying to be a downer as I'm in the same predicament. I currently have a 1kwatt system. No idea how I'll make it work for the mirage.
    It may draw more power from the engine, probably a very small amount. I have yet to talk to my local alternator shop, but I am hopeful they can come up with something to put out more power without a terrible gain in drag...maybe alter the size of the pulley I don't have that part quite ironed out yet lol...........The subs only weigh 38 lbs. each, so probably 150 lbs. with box, amps, wire, dynamat, etc....j/k..I plan to run a small high power 8 inch woofer to save on weight and high power 6 inch component sets to add for some sound quality along with a little more bass.

I'm hopeful but patient, it's too cold right now to get into anything on the car right now............
    -Billy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    Interesting, what kind of power gain in your stereo did you go with?
    practically better speakers , 4 channel amp, and mono block for sub. I kept the factory stereo. in terms of wattage, just for the amps : 4 channel = 2500watts (160w x 4 rms) , Mono = 1200 watts ( ??? rms )