Thread: Passed by a McLaren, in a Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Passed by a McLaren, in a Mirage

I had a McLaren behind me on one of the country roads near me a few hours ago. First gull-wing car I've seen on the road.

Impatient driver, black McLaren made a lot of noise when he finally had the room to pass me.. not sure why the McLaren has a small red light in the middle of the rear bumper. I have never seen a car like that on the road. Let alone be part of a mild road rage/tailgating.

Being a black car, looked so exotic... almost like the Batmobile. Way over the top. I knew it was a McLaren from the rectangular "McLaren" emblem on the hood. I saw a McLaren in the West Edmonton mall a few years back.

Car was headed for Grand Bend, where everyone talks about the famous Romney cottage. Someone has money lol

Name:  mclaren.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  61.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    No, not for me, I'll stick to my Vauxhall Corsa. I've never been a "sports car" fan preferring just a four door family shifter which, now, are rare as there's a plethora of five or three door hatches. I think just the insurance cost annually would be enough to buy a new hatchback.
    However, a beautiful car it certainly is.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A thing of beauty, truly exceptional. I couldn't believe the sound. And to actually see a McLaren on the road in real life for a few minutes. Not just sitting in a museum. The car roared man, truly loud. Never thought I'd see a McLaren in Adelaide township.

What an annoying hot-shot driver though. Goes with the territory, what can you expect. Better to enjoy the machine I suppose. The body work too was just awesome. Not a big car by any means either.

Anyways I could go on all day about my most exciting experience yet in my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

craigq (07-25-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    What an annoying hot-shot driver though. Goes with the territory
    It's not just you. When I drive my 48HP VW on the highway & come to a passing lane, Pick-up drivers almost run into my back bumper, pull into the left lane & pass @ wide open throttle. (from the sounds of their modified exhaust). I guess driving an antique car 100km/h on a 90km/h highway isn't fast enough for them
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Many of those bozos probably couldn't even drive your VW literally.

Stupid drivers with 7000 lb's vehicles with 10" screens seems like a good idea. Ugh.

I like the mechanics of simpler cars, where you have to participate more in the gears shifting. I had an 85 Rabbit Cabrio years back.

Coinky-dink!

I passed one of those fancy mid-engined Audi cars (Lambo twin?) in my Mirage. Looked neat.

And by passed, I mean it was going the opposite way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-29-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea VW owns Lambo, right?

I think the car you're talking about is the R8. I have seen that car in London once in real life. Looks somewhat bigger than the McLaren tailgating me. Not sure who affords these cars with all the taxes we pay. Maybe a place to put cash from gambling machines.