Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage Markup Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    David - I tried working deals on new 2017 SE manuals back in early 2017 timing. And even though I could find them, I could never find a dealer that would work out a decent deal. I doubt I knew of White Bear back them. That SE would have been SWEET. Especially if it came with the manual HVAC. I gave up because I didn't want an ES with no cruise.

I looked again in 2020, and noticed the ES's came with cruise. Shopped around again, maybe they were just hitting the bottom of the bell shaped curve increasing in PRICE (not value). I know a valuable vehicle when I see one. So I had to pull the trigger before I lost the chance to get one of the last remaining vehicles of this simplicity. $11,4XX (plus tax, tag, title). I didn't hit the bottom of the price bucket like others have. But I certainly got it before the problems ballooned the price up like it is now.

In retrospect, $11,400 is still not bad for a brand new Mirage! Sure, you didn't get the record-breaking $10k bottom floor price but you got a better deal than today's $17k I was quoted! How times have changed!

I too wish I would've known about White Bear back in the day. They seem to be the midwest go-to Mitsu dealer who is still genuine and not trash, i admire that. And, i think you and I should've pulled the trigger on brand new 17 SE manuals when we had the chance especially from WB! Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda. At least the new 21s/22s come well equipped even on the base model manual.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 12-15-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Hate to admit it, but this one has me thinking. She's a 5-speed...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Hate to admit it, but this one has me thinking. She's a 5-speed...

That's a lot of money for a used Mirage. Especially, if the 500 miles forfeits the 10 year/100,000 mile warrantiy. Someone bought the same car/same color new for $10,400 earlier this year. You would have to really like yellow to spend that much.

I became interested in Mirages when you buy two new ones for less than that price. If I had qualified for the 3 rebates, it would have been way less ($15,000 total for two brand new Mirages) @ WB.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's a lot of money for a used Mirage. Especially, if the 500 miles forfeits the 10 year/100,000 mile warrantiy. Someone bought the same car/same color new for $10,400 earlier this year. You would have to really like yellow to spend that much.

I became interested in Mirages when you buy two new ones for less than that price. If I had qualified for the 3 rebates, it would have been way less ($15,000 total for two brand new Mirages) @ WB.
    Yes, yes, we Mirage Forum old timers all remember "The Great 2016 Mitsubishi Mirage Factory Fire Sale". But those days are long gone. I have 190,000 miles on my 2015 ES and using the powertrain warranty never even crossed my mind so losing it would be of little importance to me.

If some dealership had a new '21 ES manual in yellow laying around that would be great...but there aren't too many Mirages laying around anywhere. In fact, there are only a handful for sale in my entire state.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If prices are still this crazy in the Spring, I may try to sell my Mirage. I have a spare car and could get by without it until reality returns. The idea of selling my (soon to be) 7 year old car for what I paid for it new is too tempting.

Carvana would probably list my car (2015 with 105K miles) for $9-$10K. So what do you think they would offer me for it?

Name:  offer.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  89.4 KB

^^^ What the !#$% I guess some things about the car business will never change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (12-15-2021),MetroMPG (12-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Yes, yes, we Mirage Forum old timers all remember "The Great 2016 Mitsubishi Mirage Factory Fire Sale". But those days are long gone. I have 190,000 miles on my 2015 ES and using the powertrain warranty never even crossed my mind so losing it would be of little importance to me.

If some dealership had a new '21 ES manual in yellow laying around that would be great...but there aren't too many Mirages laying around anywhere. In fact, there are only a handful for sale in my entire state.
    How is someone buying a 2021 ES manual in yellow for $10,400 earlier this year a long time ago?

WB had them @ $10,998 - loyalty rebate earlier this year.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-15-2021 at 01:23 PM.

While it's great to have a historical price reference it's really not useful when dealing with today's reality. One can reference historical prices of gasoline, milk, eggs, bread, houses, cars, etc but ultimately it doesn't matter. Those days are gone and you gotta accept what is fact today.

If someone needs to buy groceries today, they're not going to say "man i remember when milk, eggs and bread were 5 cents, too bad it's a dollar now, guess I'm not eating for the the rest of my life." At some point you'll have to make a choice, to buy or to not buy. If it's necessary for your survival you will likely buy and carry on with life.

The reality is that the cost of goods and services always increase in our economy. If it's mostly a want and not a matter of survival, then you can probably afford to hold off on the purchase. But even if you do hold off you don't know how the market is going perform. No one can predict the future, sure the prices of new and used Mirages could come back down to more sane levels, or worse they keep increasing. It's a tough choice!

If you need a car now there's not much choice. Otherwise you might just spend the rest of your life waiting for prices to come down to where they once we're reminiscing of the good old days. Good luck with that!

Name:  33168aae49642d09d39d0bf538238341.jpeg
Views: 273
Size:  44.5 KB

"Me waiting to buy a brand new Mirage for $10k from White Bear..."
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 12-15-2021 at 04:36 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-18-2021),inuvik (12-15-2021),wanna beco (12-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    While it's great to have a historical price reference it's really not useful when dealing with today's reality. One can reference historical prices of gasoline, milk, eggs, bread, houses, cars, etc but ultimately it doesn't matter. Those days are gone and you gotta accept what is fact today.

If someone needs to buy groceries today, they're not going to say "man i remember when milk, eggs and bread were 5 cents, too bad it's a dollar now, guess I'm not eating for the the rest of my life." At some point you'll have to make a choice, to buy or to not buy. If it's necessary for your survival you will likely buy and carry on with life.

The reality is that the cost of goods and services always increase in our economy. If it's mostly a want and not a matter of survival, then you can probably afford to hold off on the purchase. But even if you do hold off you don't know how the market is going perform. No one can predict the future, sure the prices of new and used Mirages could come back down to more sane levels, or worse they keep increasing. It's a tough choice!

If you need a car now there's not much choice. Otherwise you might just spend the rest of your life waiting for prices to come down to where they once we're reminiscing of the good old days. Good luck with that!

I agree.

When a used Mirage is 100% higher in price than a new one used to be a few years, I would still take note of that.

I bought a new Chromebook from Best Buy a few weeks ago. It doesn't have the best screen. The battery life could be better. After so many years, Chromebooks stop getting updates. If I dropped it hard, I'm sure it would probably break. It's surely not the best new Chromebook on the market. I really, really don't care, because I paid $119 for it.

I sort of feel that way about a Mirage. If I had to pay $15,000+ for one today, I would consider something else. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one.

A Mirage has to be affordable, reliable, & economical to be appealing to me. If one part is missing, it loses it appeal. We can have different definitions of affordable, however.

Your points are well taken!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Saw this quote in a WSJ article:

In November, nearly 87% of all new vehicles bought by individual customers sold at or above the sticker price

...according to research firm J.D. Power. That number is up from about 75% at the halfway point of the year, and well above the pre-pandemic average of about 36% of sales.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (12-15-2021),inuvik (12-15-2021),MetroMPG (12-17-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    These "market adjustments" are crazy, and tell you lots about the dealer.
    If all folks and dealers around were to go nuts, I would still see no reason to do likewise. I do what I think is right for me and others, and don't participate in racketeering in any way at all. If I gave in to such business practices and paid a "market adjustment" surcharge, I would automatically be part of that racket!
    I prefer looking into my shaving mirror every morning and seeing an honest face of an ethically sound person. As a racket participator I would never see that honest face any more.