Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 21 Mirage owner and a car guy shares his thoughts

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New 21 Mirage owner and a car guy shares his thoughts

Hello Folks,

I recently picked up a 21 Mirage 5 speed and White Bear Mitsubishi- one of my local dealers in Minnesota. I wanted an easy to teach with stick shift for my 15 and 19 year old kids before they drove some of the other cars in the barn. I had low expectations, mostly based on the reviews I read- it was primarily just the price point that brought me in. I was really surprised. Yes, a great car to teach with- but also fun in a way only a small light weight car can be, and a tremendous value for what I paid. I decided to pick up two more. A little more about them here- https://carbarngarage.com/2021-mitsubishi-mirage

Also- this forum has been super useful. Put foglight in all of them!

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M81 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-30-2021),craigq (07-30-2021),inuvik (07-29-2021),MetroMPG (07-29-2021)

Welcome!

That's quite a fun car collection you've got. I love the oddballs (Mirages included!) among the more expected classics.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome aboard and you might have the largest "Mirage family" on the forum outside of Fummin's fleet that he manages. These little cars are great to drive with a manual transmission and it sounds like you were pleasantly surprised. You can create garage entries for all 3 if you want and keep us up date on how your mini-fleet is doing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How is the audio quality in the 2021 ES?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    How is the audio quality in the 2021 ES?
    Audio quality is average, as would be expected. I'm sure a couple hundred dollars spent on better quality and efficient speakers would do a lot. There is a factory sub box availble, but I think you could do a complete aftermarket speaker/amp setup for about the same cost that would do better. The head unit is much better than I expected- easy to use, with faster response time and much better CarPlay stability than a 2021 Honda I recently purchased. I would try to keep that system as part of any light upgrade you do.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    thats a lot of mirage you got there i bet your sales agent is very lucky to have you as a customer, cant wait to finish my payment to get a manual,..welcome to the forum..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M81 View Post
    Hello Folks,

I recently picked up a 21 Mirage 5 speed and White Bear Mitsubishi- one of my local dealers in Minnesota. I wanted an easy to teach with stick shift for my 15 and 19 year old kids before they drove some of the other cars in the barn.
    I wish my dad had bought me a new car to learn how to drive a manual.

I learned to let out a clutch on a Farmall H tractor at age 9. I was shown once & expected to be able to do it. I graduated to a 1972 Chevy pickup truck (manual) a couple years later. Avoiding Holstein cows in a pasture was my first lesson in defensive driving. Times have changed!

Good luck with the manual driving lesson! It's a great skill to teach your kids. I wish more parents were doing it.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Welcome! Are all 3 manuals? Didn't want at least one auto?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Welcome! Are all 3 manuals? Didn't want at least one auto?
    Of course all three are manuals- is there anything else?? The manual transmission is why I considered the car. Even with 78hp, choosing when to shift and holding the RPM higher adds a little fun. I also think a manual forces you to be more aware of what is going on, and in tune with the car- something I certainly want for my soon to be driving daughter. That said, we are not using these in city or stop and go traffic. If that were the case, and this was my only vehicle- I probably would choose the CVT. The first CVT I ever drove was a 1988 Subaru Justy, also a 1.2L 3 Cylinder engine, and I believe the first ever CVT sold in the US.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Where's the white one???

Congraulations on your family of Mirages!