Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any sheds used as garages for a Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Any sheds used as garages for a Mirage?

I was exploring the possibility of using a well-anchored shed for a garage for my Mirage- granted, I do not live in a suburban or urban area, so it may be slightly nicer than a carport. I am browsing standard wide double doors, but they are about 64" wide, whereas the Mirage is about 65.6" without the mirrors. I haven't actually measured them with/without mirrors, but I am using the quote of a few websites. Also, the doors thickness is also part of that width, suggesting there may be even less space.

Some sheds are too thin and flimsy, and may defeat the purpose of protecting it in cases of heavy snow causing the roof to sag or wind. Just looking at a $700 10"x14' shed that is 13.125' on the interior and 9' wide, it would be more than enough space to house, but the doors could be modified. That said, there are some ventilated sheds in the $1500-$3200 range with sturdier material and 12x16" width x length. If I were to modify the doors so that there were enough width, do you think it would be a worthwhile project? Some of the doors are sliding type, and removing two of the side panels might be possible to allow extra width for the car- however some double doors are only 55" wide and need at least an extra 12" for clearance.

This one is designed for small tractors, which seems really economical, and the Mirage is 2000lbs, so some of the flooring may be compatible when added:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuraMax-Bui...hed/1000787924

Video as an humorous example: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/r...on-1203094312/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    I was exploring the possibility of using a well-anchored shed for a garage for my Mirage- granted, I do not live in a suburban or urban area, so it may be slightly nicer than a carport. I am browsing standard wide double doors, but they are about 64" wide, whereas the Mirage is about 65.6" without the mirrors. I haven't actually measured them with/without mirrors, but I am using the quote of a few websites. Also, the doors thickness is also part of that width, suggesting there may be even less space.

Some sheds are too thin and flimsy, and may defeat the purpose of protecting it in cases of heavy snow causing the roof to sag or wind. Just looking at a $700 10"x14' shed that is 13.125' on the interior and 9' wide, it would be more than enough space to house, but the doors could be modified. That said, there are some ventilated sheds in the $1500-$3200 range with sturdier material and 12x16" width x length. If I were to modify the doors so that there were enough width, do you think it would be a worthwhile project? Some of the doors are sliding type, and removing two of the side panels might be possible to allow extra width for the car- however some double doors are only 55" wide and need at least an extra 12" for clearance.

This one is designed for small tractors, which seems really economical, and the Mirage is 2000lbs, so some of the flooring may be compatible when added:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuraMax-Bui...hed/1000787924

Video as an humorous example: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/r...on-1203094312/

Personally, I would stick with car ports.

You will find several options, and you could spread out the cost by doing parts of it at different times.

For example, you could start with a gravel base for the car port or just use it that way for years (forever if you like). You could surely add sides to the car port. Extra sheets of metal would be the easiest, but you could customize it to something else. You could always add a cement base later on.

I have 12' x 17' storage shed with a wooden floor. It was custom built and delivered locally. My compact 4WD diesel tractor creaks the floor quite bad. I would want a gravel or cement base for a car.

Examples:

Home Depot -
    https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-...toreSelection=

Lowes -
    https://www.lowes.com/pl/Carports-Sh...ors/4112609830

Menards -

https://www.menards.com/main/search....etal+car+ports

Others-

https://www.walmart.com/browse/patio...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Carport...l+Carport+Kits

https://www.carportdirect.com/metal-carports
    Last edited by Mark; 08-01-2021 at 05:31 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

highwire (08-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes. I actually took an existing carport, and added plywood doors to it. Made it a garage for my Mirage. However, I made the doors too tight.

Mirage fits, but barely, with very little room to spare on either side. Opps. So when you do this, make your doors much wider than you think you need. or you may end up in my position, and park your car outside for the next 6 years.

Fear of adding a big scratch is very real fear. Plus it's dark in there. I do have one of those tennis balls hanging there to tell me when I'm in the right spot once I'm in.

But with the small doors, I never park my car in my car port.
    Name:  carport.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  101.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

highwire (08-01-2021),mohammad (06-29-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Yes. I actually took an existing carport, and added plywood doors to it. Made it a garage for my Mirage. However, I made the doors too tight.

Mirage fits, but barely, with very little room to spare on either side. Opps. So when you do this, make your doors much wider than you think you need. or you may end up in my position, and park your car outside for the next 6 years.

Fear of adding a big scratch is very real fear. Plus it's dark in there. I do have one of those tennis balls hanging there to tell me when I'm in the right spot once I'm in.

But with the small doors, I never park my car in my car port.
    Name:  carport.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  101.3 KB
    Storage sheds are quite dark inside, unless you add light.

Just below the roof line of a car port, you can add a sheet of clear roof panels. They would give you some natural light.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building...toreSelection=

I have an extension cord hanging on the side of my storage shed. If I need electricity (most likely for battery chargers), I just run the cord to an outlet on the side of my house.

If you goal is to park a car under it, I would just skip the doors. If your car is just sitting outside, you may feel the need to lock it up anyways.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's a good idea to get more light in. Nice for any shed or car port really. I also recommend pegboards and nails to hang things like your garden rake, or shovels.

I have hydro (electricity) going to my backyard shed, and to my small backyard pond. Just no power to that carport there. Power outside comes in handy when people are doing work on my house.

What about doing solar for your garage light?

I'm no Jonny Carson with his predictions but someone is gonna plop a big shop where my carport is one day lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

highwire (08-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark & dspace9!

the lighting is available on several sheds, including the roof. I particularly like the transom windows in this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Ho...202205311-_-N& It seems to be in an area that isn't easy to tamper with but also high enough to get the most light in. Ventilation would be an issue though there are some with more ventilation port. The length and width is short and width but a slightly larger one would seem to be a better fit.

I like the idea of car ports, but I am interested in protecting the Mirage from more than rain-snow and relative invisibility can make for a more pleasant backyard look.
    This one also seems to have enough width without taking the whole yard https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-Y...437107#overlay

11. The Following User Says Thank You to highwire For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That Yukon model shed looks pretty good. I would want around 1' minimum on both sides of the door opening to my car, to feel comfortable driving my Mirage in an out on a daily basis.

What are you thinking for flooring? I have large gravel pebbles in mine.

In my eyes, you would want over 90" total door opening width. To drive in and out comfortably. I'd just bring a tape measure. Take a look at a few demo sheds they got set up at your local Home Depot. I don't see measurements for the door opening on the website link there. I think you will be fine for height, it's the width.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Thanks Mark & dspace9!

the lighting is available on several sheds, including the roof. I particularly like the transom windows in this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Ho...202205311-_-N& It seems to be in an area that isn't easy to tamper with but also high enough to get the most light in. Ventilation would be an issue though there are some with more ventilation port. The length and width is short and width but a slightly larger one would seem to be a better fit.

I like the idea of car ports, but I am interested in protecting the Mirage from more than rain-snow and relative invisibility can make for a more pleasant backyard look.
    This one also seems to have enough width without taking the whole yard https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-Y...437107#overlay
    Your first storage shed listing is nice, but I want to be there when you drive a 65.6" wide Mirage through a 64" wide door opening. I'm sure you took note of that, & I am being silly about it.

The second storage shed seems really nice. Only real negative I see - no garage door opener for those doors!

I have a really nice two-car garage & a nice 12'x17' storage shed. Sadly Mirage still finds itself parked outside.

Storage sheds are like the movie "Field of Dreams" - "If you built it, they will come" becomes if you build it, you will fill it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That Yukon model shed looks pretty good. I would want around 1' minimum on both sides of the door opening to my car, to feel comfortable driving my Mirage in an out on a daily basis.

In my eyes, you would want over 90" total door opening width. To drive in and out comfortably. I'd just bring a tape measure. Take a look at a few demo sheds they got set up at your local Home Depot. I don't see measurements for the door opening on the website link there. I think you will be fine for height, it's the width.
    For flooring, I would like to use existing cement (i am searching for a new home), but I am also looking at gravel filler flattened, then a possibly a light but durable plywood on top.

I agree the Yukon is wide enough, but the price is a lot less than their longer ones. I think it would be possible to squeeze the mirage in from wall to wall, because according to the interior dimensions, it is 12'6". The Mirage is 149.4" which is 12.45 feet. Note that some of the photos use a larger shed - 17' instead of the 13', which is why a crossover is pictured in one but not the main Lowes product photo. It's not clear if they produce many, or are discontinued as there aren't many in stock on Home Depot or Lowes, at least for the wide model.

The Lowest product page says "Actual Interior Length (Feet) 12.3" https://www.lowes.com/pd/Palram-Yuko...hed/5000237357 so it might be a tad too short if that doesn't include the doors. It is possible that the car or shed slightly overestimated their measurements where it would fit snug, though i'd likely include a cushion in case it got too close, even if there was less space. Spending more than $3000, and I might just look for a home with an attached garage

I also wish the Yukon had more lighting, though it does say 10% transparent material. That length also rules out benig able to do any major repairs or unloading cargo from the back hatch. I think it would still be useful for cases where I might want ventilation and would keep the car partially outside the shed. If I buy one I will definitely take a picture. the Duramax should fit easily too, even with 85" wide doors. That's about 18" more than the car, but still more wideness once inside.
    Last edited by highwire; 08-01-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Door opening for the Yukon model is listed @ 95.3" wide doors.

"Extra-wide double door opening 95.3 in. (242 cm) to allow the parking of vehicle, watercrafts, and easy equipment storage"