Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Blow out, looking for bumper cover / Driver Side tail light - 2019

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Tire Blow out, looking for bumper cover / Driver Side tail light - 2019

Hey guys ! 30k into owning this Mirage. It's been a fun journey but headed down to Florida on i-10 my Drivers side rear tire decided it was time to become many pieces at 75 mph , I saved the car from going into the wall and other cars but the tail light shattered and the bumper cover broke. I am less worried about the bumper cover but really need a tail light was wondering if anyone had one for sale on here and could ship it, Currently in Lady Lake Florida. Also went to 6 different places for a new tire, quickest I got was over a week.

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Following User Says Thank You to moonman94 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow! Glad you're ok. Quite a blowout; was the blowout tire that worn or did you hit something?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Wow! Glad you're ok. Quite a blowout; was the blowout tire that worn or did you hit something?
    Unsure ! It looked like there was re-tread on the road around where it happened, I check my tires regularly, especially on road trips. So when I checked a few days ago they looked fine, no bubbles or cracks and plenty of tread. But after the blow out the passenger rears has cracks starting in the sidewall. I think the previous owner put used tires on the rear, since they are 175/65/R14 and from 2017.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Sorry about your luck - glad you’re okay. Try getting body parts from a nearby junkyard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman94 View Post
    Hey guys ! 30k into owning this Mirage. It's been a fun journey but headed down to Florida on i-10 my Drivers side rear tire decided it was time to become many pieces at 75 mph , I saved the car from going into the wall and other cars but the tail light shattered and the bumper cover broke. I am less worried about the bumper cover but really need a tail light was wondering if anyone had one for sale on here and could ship it, Currently in Lady Lake Florida. Also went to 6 different places for a new tire, quickest I got was over a week.
    Are you hoping to find something cheaper than an aftermarket one?

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...xoCPJ4QAvD_BwE

https://www.go-parts.com/mitsubishi-...il-lights.html

I'm sure a junk yard would be much cheaper, but it's a matter of finding one in a timely manner.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, that's some damage. Thankfully, no one was hurt!

I hope you're not just replacing the one tire. I would surely get a matching pair. If you have any doubts about your front tires, I would consider getting a new set of tires. You could keep one or two of the better ones for this type of situation in the future.

Have you checked a place like Walmart? They usually list which tires they can get in 2-days. I don't use Walmart for much related to automotive service, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them for tires.

I bought a pair of 165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 (60,000 mile warranty) tires this summer. Mounting/lifetime free balancing was only $14/tire @ Walmart. Disposal of old tire was only $1.50/tire. My total bill for two tires mounted/balance & disposal of old tires was $31 with no surprise charges! If you bring in your own tire from elsewhere, I believe it's $25/tire @ Walmart. That's more than I would want to pay for that type of service. I can do better than that elsewhere.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would like to edit or add to my last response.

I could order (on Sunday) any 165/65r14 tire listed @ tirerack.com & received it by Tuesday. I'm sure you would find the same with any other size like the 175/65r14 tire size.

Tirerack.com has installers located throughout the country. Just have to look one up near you & have your tires sent there or to your house. I still believe Walmart may be cheaper, but Tire Rack is usually good about getting tires shipped quickly!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...It looked like there was re-tread on the road around where it happened...
    It looks like you may have hit a road gator and it destroyed your tail-light and bumper cover in the process.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    It looks like you may have hit a road gator and it destroyed your tail-light and bumper cover in the process.
    It's possible but the whole tread came off my tire, looked more like complete tire failure, I just ordered a nexus (what is on my front right now) 165/65/r14's a set of two, and will rotate the current nexus to the back, which are in great shape just a little low on tread, they will be here 8/3/2021. I contacted a wrecker in Texas (which i just left that state) about a turn signal (60 + shipping) so hopefully that works out ! There's a 2020
    https://www.picknpull.com/check-inve...2A3HJ7LH009632

blue bumper cover, I think ill just keep the broken one on the back until something better comes up local or around a friend, since shipping will be so much and it's zip-tied in place. But looking at the car today it trashed the paint around the wheel well and bent the rear arch in about 3/4 on an inch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You said you got 175 65 r14s? Those shouldn't be hard to find and at, any tire shop like Discount Tire will have them easy. I can't believe 6 tire shops didn't have that size? Weird.