Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Blow out, looking for bumper cover / Driver Side tail light - 2019

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman94 View Post
    ...the whole tread came off my tire, looked more like complete tire failure...
    Wow...that last pic looks like you had complete tread separation! Hopefully Basic (the resident tire engineer) will see this thread and weigh in on it.

Name:  blowout.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  96.3 KB

I'm just curious...

1) What brand/model of tire is this?
    2) When was it manufactured (what is the date code on the tire)?
    3) Was the tire under-inflated or overloaded when this happened?

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-01-2021 at 09:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman94 View Post
    and will rotate the current nexus to the back, which are in great shape just a little low on tread,
    I'm probably going to have eleventeen hundred people argue with me on this, but put your best tires on the back. If you have another tire failure & the bad tire is on the front, you can direct the car to the side of the road with the steering wheel. As you found out, when the bad tire on the back goes south, you have the back of the car steering you. Not a nice feeling. Always put your best tires on the rear... It has nothing to do with traction, it's all about control. You can't steer the back of the car... https://www.tirereview.com/so-where-do-new-tires-go/
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I'm probably going to have eleventeen hundred people argue with me on this, but put your best tires on the back. If you have another tire failure & the bad tire is on the front, you can direct the car to the side of the road with the steering wheel. As you found out, when the bad tire on the back goes south, you have the back of the car steering you. Not a nice feeling. Always put your best tires on the rear... It has nothing to do with traction, it's all about control. You can't steer the back of the car... https://www.tirereview.com/so-where-do-new-tires-go/
    It's a well known fact, that the best tires should go on the rear of your car. However -

If your front tires wear faster than the rear tires (FWD car), you may have to overlook that somewhat during tire rotations. Let's say I bought a brand car & put 10,000 miles on it (no tire rotations were done). The rear tires may be better than the front tires at that point already. The goal of tire rotations is keeping your tire wear somewhat even.

If it's an AWD vehicle, it's important to match all 4 tires. If your front tires wear a bit faster than the rear, tire rotations are going to be necessary. Even if you are using/running directional tires, you will want to move the tires from front to back & back to front on an AWD vehicle.

Could a person skip tire rotations? Sure! In that case, you may wear out your front tires first. Then move the rear tires to front, and put the new tires on the rear. That would make my Mirage useless during the winter months where I live, but technically that's how it should be done.

In the big scheme of things (wanting somewhat even tire wear to happen), you may not have your best tires on the rear all the time.

Chiming in late...

Wow! I've never seen a flat tire do so much damage.

Glad you lived to tell the tale ... and hunt for replacement parts!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)