Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on putting the water pump on a clutch?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    For anyone interested in this topic. you can read about the idea of converting your water pump to be electrically driven here: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...pump-3952.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-04-2021)

It looks like some of the posts in this thread were just copy and pasted from that 13 year old ecomodder thread

I remember seeing an electric waterpump on an LS engine at a performance shop years ago. It looked like a regular pump at first glance and even had a stock sized pulley now used as an idler.
    Attachment 22210

ELECTRIC PUMP LSX HIGH FLOW, STREET PUMP, 55 GPM WITH IDLER
    Innovative design makes for an easy installation. Unbolt your factory pump and bolt on an easy 11-14 horsepower with our street style water pump. An idler is incorporated onto the pump so your belt routing remains in its stock configuration.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-04-2021 at 06:14 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    mohammad - I like the "out of the box" thinking ... even if it has been considered somewhere else first.

I thought that the thermostat's job was to bypass coolant flow, and NOT flow through the radiator. As the radiator cooling the coolant off would increase the amount of time it takes to warm up the coolant. So, stopping the water pump from pumping, that in and of itself would not cause problem. But the problem WOULD be...

If this clutched stopping of the water pump was NOT automated, sooner or later a user will forget to turn on the water pump and the engine would go kaploowie. Even if it were automated, sooner or later the clutch would fail ... again, kaploowie. This is not something I would do in a street vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

What if you put the crank pulley on a clutch? Or use a one way bearing like lots of alternators use nowadays just to make it more complimicated.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What if you put the crank pulley on a clutch? Or use a one way bearing like lots of alternators use nowadays just to make it more complimicated.
    These are both great ideas. This is actually the first time I've heard of an alternator pully clutch. That seems like just as good of an idea. Honestly I just floor it in the B low gear range to warm the car up. creates a bunch of white smoke but it works. Ive realized that the thermostat has a hole in it to allow coolant to flow to prevent hotspots while warming up. Another great over engineered idea would be to isolate the radiator out of the coolant loop when coolant is below a certain temperature as there would be less coolant and thermal mass(the metal radiator) to warm up. Id imagine the benefits of bypassing the radiator are small in comparison to just going with the classic grill block. Also maybe would expirence crappy thermal shock/fatigue issues by going from cold to scalding hot coolant through the radiator.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Another great over engineered idea would be to isolate the radiator out of the coolant loop when coolant is below a certain temperature
    Umm, is this not what the thermostat already does??? I thought the T-stat controlled the minimum temperature of an operating engine... Maybe things have changed since I went to school
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Umm, is this not what the thermostat already does??? I thought the T-stat controlled the minimum temperature of an operating engine... Maybe things have changed since I went to school
    I am retarded, this is literally what the thermostat does.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    One of the engineering marvels of a centrifugal pump is....it consumes less power as the flow decreases. More of a property of the pump style than any engineering. Wanna demo? Listen to the motor speed of your shop vac when you block the suction. Or the discharge. Or both. Works with water pumps, too!

Tyrone Hydraulics used to buy pallet loads of Warner Electric clutches to put on their little vane and gear pumps to reduce the standby horsepower load. Then they started to play with "starved inlet" on the pumps to save a buncha bucks on clutches, wire and switches. So it works on the inlet of positive displacement pumps, too!
    Karl

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-13-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    You could also just drive in B gear until the light goes away.
    I have actually tried this and it does not really work as the cvt coolant lines go directly to the rad. The rad doesnt actually have any coolant circulating through it while the thermostat is closed.