Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Journey to Make Wife's Car Fast

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The Journey to Make Wife's Car Fast

I gave an idea of what I'm planning on doing to make my wife 2015 Mirage DE 5speed MT fast in the introduction thread. On this one I'll update each step as best and as often as money, time, and sanity allow. I will post pictures and videos here. As well as parts used!

Here is the list of things I've done before making this thread:
    -"Cold Air" intake (MAF sensor adapter, 2"-3" coupler, 12"x3" aluminum intake pipe, 3" Specter universal air filter, 3 hose clamps)
    -Drilled and slotted front rotors with ceramic pads
    -Changed Trans gear oil

Stuff I'll most likely do soon is:
    -Coil overs (godspeed) $650 US
    -Upper strut supports front and rear (Ultra Racing) $300ish
    -New Clutch and flywheel (I haven't found anyone who makes any other than OE equivalent), if anyone finds a stage 2 or 3 please let me know
    -Oil Cooler (Mishimoto Universal Thermostatic 10 Row) $350
    -Radiator (haven't found one yet)
    -Oil Catch Cans $100-200 depending
    -Momo Wheel (R1960/32SH) with hub and quick detach $450ish
    - Sparco Seat, 6-point harness, and harness bar $850ish*2
    -Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure gauges $40-90 each
    -Mishimoto weighted shift knob with 3.75" extension bar $60
    -header or cat back exhaust depends on price at a shop (I don't have a welder) best guess would be $1000-1500

Most of this I found on Amazon! I'm still not sure how far I'll go, but here's to making something that'll be stupid hard, get laughed at, and maybe with some luck actually work in some weird way! If it all goes wrong and the engine pukes a piston through the hood, then I guess most of it is modified universal stuff that can be used else where... or engine swap here I come!

If anyone know of any speed shops in Connecticut that do good work let me know or if you got any suggestions/ideas/problems I may run into let me know because I plan on doing 90% of project myself. Thanks!

Hope you all enjoy my suffering!

Last edited by MJB32; 08-04-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Right on dude. One thing I'd keep in mind is, the less weight, the quicker the Mirage. Relatively speaking. My own Mirage has no AC unit, so right there you're trimming off at least 100 llbs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Subscribed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Right on dude. One thing I'd keep in mind is, the less weight, the quicker the Mirage. Relatively speaking. My own Mirage has no AC unit, so right there you're trimming off at least 100 llbs.

That seems high. Tiny compressor, tiny condenser and tiny evaporator...maybe 50 lb, and I doubt that. But every little bit helps.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    That seems high. Tiny compressor, tiny condenser and tiny evaporator...maybe 50 lb, and I doubt that. But every little bit helps.
    Is the CVT the same weight as the manual transmission?

I think 50 lbs works out to like 3% of the car's weight with AC more than one without. Every bit counts with weight reduction if that's the pursuit. Less weight, more power, like an AC Cobra lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB32 View Post
    I gave an idea of what I'm planning on doing to make my wife 2015 Mirage DE 5speed MT fast in the introduction thread. On this one I'll update each step as best and as often as money, time, and sanity allow. I will post pictures and videos here. As well as parts used!

Here is the list of things I've done before making this thread:
    -"Cold Air" intake (MAF sensor adapter, 2"-3" coupler, 12"x3" aluminum intake pipe, 3" Specter universal air filter, 3 hose clamps)
    -Drilled and slotted front rotors with ceramic pads
    -Changed Trans gear oil

Stuff I'll most likely do soon is:
    -Coil overs (godspeed) $650 US
    -Upper strut supports front and rear (Ultra Racing) $300ish
    -New Clutch and flywheel (I haven't found anyone who makes any other than OE equivalent), if anyone finds a stage 2 or 3 please let me know
    -Oil Cooler (Mishimoto Universal Thermostatic 10 Row) $350
    -Radiator (haven't found one yet)
    -Oil Catch Cans $100-200 depending
    -Momo Wheel (R1960/32SH) with hub and quick detach $450ish
    - Sparco Seat, 6-point harness, and harness bar $850ish*2
    -Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure gauges $40-90 each
    -Mishimoto weighted shift knob with 3.75" extension bar $60
    -header or cat back exhaust depends on price at a shop (I don't have a welder) best guess would be $1000-1500

Most of this I found on Amazon! I'm still not sure how far I'll go, but here's to making something that'll be stupid hard, get laughed at, and maybe with some luck actually work in some weird way! If it all goes wrong and the engine pukes a piston through the hood, then I guess most of it is modified universal stuff that can be used else where... or engine swap here I come!

If anyone know of any speed shops in Connecticut that do good work let me know or if you got any suggestions/ideas/problems I may run into let me know because I plan on doing 90% of project myself. Thanks!

Hope you all enjoy my suffering!
    I bet money your 3A92 engine will be fine, it's tough as nails in it's simplicity. Frankly I'm surprised Mitsubishi hasn't offered a turbo version Mirage yet. It would still get decent gas mileage and it would open up a whole new market of buyers looking for more power. Their new 1.5L Eclipse has a turbo and that engine hasn't received hardly any criticisms about reliability just being underpowered.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The 1.5l turbo was the powerplants for the colt so a Swap could be possible

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE

I recently stumbled upon a Microsquirt ecu and was thinking this would be my next upgrade, especially with wanting to put nitrous/turbo into it at some point, as well as gauges and tuning.
    Has anyone dabbled into this at all with the 3a92?

I'll probably be doing some of the cheaper stuff before this just to have some momentum and confidence, until getting crushed with tuning!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would just get a 5.0 Mustang, or a LSC. or a Ranger & do a 5.0 transplant... Probably cheeper & more fun then trying to make a Mirage into a racer... I have a really nice Ranger to make into a racer if you're interested... Just my opinion...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-09-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Some of those mods have very little effect on performance. I would skip a lot of them and go straight for the turbo setup.

'17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed