Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone programmed a spare FAST key?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Has anyone programmed a spare FAST key?

I'm trying to understand the instructions in the manual for the 2014 (US) Mirage, but the steps I've bolded/underlined doesn't seem clear to me, can anyone clarify (my comments/questions in italic & blue)?

For F.A.S.T.-key programming, follow the procedures below.

1. Open the driver’s door.
    NOTE: Keep the driver’s door open until F.A.S.T.-key programming is finished. Do not open or close other doors.

2. While carrying the first valid F.A.S.T.-key, put the operation mode in ON. (Perform the following procedure within 30 seconds.)

3. Insert the new F.A.S.T.-key into the key slot.

4. With the first valid F.A.S.T.-key, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds and press the LOCK button during this time. (does this mean to press & HOLD the unlock button and press the lock button while holding down the unlock button?)

5. Release in sequence the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons within 10 seconds of pressing the LOCK button in step 4. (Perform the following procedure within 30 seconds.) (what does it mean to "release in sequence"?)

6. With the second valid F.A.S.T.-key, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds and press the LOCK button during this time.

7. Release in sequence the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons within 10 seconds of pressing the LOCK button in step 6. The immobilizer warning light will blink.

When registration of ID code is complete, the buzzer will sound 3 times and the immobilizer indicator will come on for 30 seconds]. (what buzzer?) If an error occurs, F.A.S.T.-key programming will be terminated and the buzzer will sound for 3 seconds.
    NOTE: F.A.S.T.-key programming will be terminated if the operation mode is put in OFF before the immobilizer warning light starts blinking.

8. If you wish to register another F.A.S.T.-key, repeat the process from step 1 after the operation mode is put in OFF.
    NOTE: The immobilizer display will go off immediately if the operation mode is put in OFF. It is not possible to register a F.A.S.T.-key if the immobilizer warning light goes off during the procedure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure nobody on this forum has ever been able to make this procedure work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure nobody on this forum has ever been able to make this procedure work.
    I've searched a bit on the forum myself, & I found nothing but dead ends on this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    I'm trying to understand the instructions in the manual for the 2014 (US) Mirage, but the steps I've bolded/underlined doesn't seem clear to me, can anyone clarify (my comments/questions in italic & blue)?
    Hey cookiemonster looks like you’re going to be the first. As far as I know it hasn’t been reported here on the forum but the subject has come up.

Sounds like you have a basic understanding of the procedure. Are you planning on adding a extra F.A.S.T. key? I thought about doing this when I purchased Speck new at the dealership but was put off by the price (about $500.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Ok, I think I can provide a little guidance on this.

For F.A.S.T.-key programming, follow the procedures below.

1. Open the driver’s door.
    NOTE: Keep the driver’s door open until F.A.S.T.-key programming is finished. Do not open or close other doors. You'll need BOTH original F.A.S.T. keys inside the vehicle in order to do this.

2. While carrying the first valid F.A.S.T.-key, put the operation mode in ON. (Perform the following procedure within 30 seconds.). Once you press the start button you have 30 seconds TOTAL time to get through this list.

3. Insert the new F.A.S.T.-key into the key slot.

4. With the first valid F.A.S.T.-key, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds and press the LOCK button during this time. (does this mean to press & HOLD the unlock button FIRST and press the lock button while holding down the unlock button?). Yes and continue to hold them both down.

5. Release in sequence the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons within 10 seconds of pressing the LOCK button in step 4. (Perform the following procedure within 30 seconds. Not technically correct, you only have 30 seconds from pushing the START button and not from beginning and completing steps #6 & #7) (what does it mean to "release in sequence"?) Release the LOCK button first and then the UNLOCK button second

6. With the SECOND valid F.A.S.T.-key, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds and press the LOCK button during this time. Same procedure as with the 1st F.A.S.T. key.

7. Release in sequence the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons within 10 seconds of pressing the LOCK button in step 6. The immobilizer warning light will blink. Again, same procedure as the 1st F.A.S.T. key.

From this moment on do not move or touch anything!!

When registration of ID code is complete, the buzzer will sound 3 times and the immobilizer indicator will come on for 30 seconds. Basically if the immobilizer indicator has been on for more than 3 seconds it's been a success but be patient because it's not done until the immobilizer indicator has come on for the FULL 30 seconds]. (what buzzer? It will be either the seatbelt nag noise or a beep if I recall correctly. If an error occurs, F.A.S.T.-key programming will be terminated and the buzzer will sound for 3 seconds. What is a error? Touching or doing ANYTHING during the 30 second immobilizer indicator period will cause it to fail.
    NOTE: F.A.S.T.-key programming will be terminated if the operation mode is put in OFF before the immobilizer warning light starts blinking.

8. If you wish to register another F.A.S.T.-key, repeat the process from step 1 after the operation mode is put in OFF.
    NOTE: The immobilizer display will go off immediately if the operation mode is put in OFF. It is not possible to register a F.A.S.T.-key if the immobilizer warning light goes off during the procedure. I did complete this once a while ago and this looks correct but it is confusing. It took me a lot of tries before I completed it (around a dozen tries if I recall) and ultimately I would recommend 2 people inside the car to do this and do some practice.

Hope this is helpful?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

daleWV (08-08-2021),Eggman (08-08-2021),Fummins (10-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks inuvik!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    You'll need BOTH original F.A.S.T. keys inside the vehicle in order to do this.

You need BOTH keys? Why would you make a replacement if you already had two? I got kind of excited about this until I realized I only had one key left.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    You need BOTH keys? Why would you make a replacement if you already had two? I got kind of excited about this until I realized I only had one key left.
    Good question for Mitsubishi. I remember reading this before I bought Speck that two programmed keys were needed to add another, so I checked into getting that third F.A.S.T. key and was scared off by the price. Knock on wood, haven't lost one yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I think it's along the same principle as the regular keys where you need both originals in order to program any additional.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    You need BOTH keys? Why would you make a replacement if you already had two?
    I apologize, because I deleted a different version of this post yesterday. I do see value in having more than two keys.

Most people wouldn't need more than two keys, but it does take two working keys to create a third one using this procedure. If you had made a third key prior to losing one, you could make your own replacement. I can understand the reluctance of doing that with push button start because of the high cost, however.

Once again, this wouldn't apply to most people, but I can give you an example of wanting extra keys. We typically have 3 driving instructors sharing 2 vehicles parked at our local high school. Our driving school office is 70 miles away. All three driving instructors needs a key to access either vehicle. That's 3 keys right there.

Our driving school office wants access to each car. There's your 4th key.

I provide our local mechanic with a key to each car parked at school. When service needs to be done on a car, he picks up the car at school, services it, charges the service to my driving school credit card, and leaves the slip in the car for me. Since our local mechanic has his own key to each car, I only need to make a phone call. I am not paid to sit at the service shop. I don't have to drop off the car or a key for it to have service, nor do I have to pick up a key or car afterwards. Now, I am already up to 5 keys for the same car.

I am so thankful none of driving school cars have push button start. I don't think our driving school would fork up the money for everyone to have a fob of their own. I see nothing but headache with a push button start car in this situation. I have keys made for our instructors & our local mechanic in our area, & I take note of this stuff.

The Mirage with a transponder key is perfect. I can buy a transponder key for $7.53 on eBay, have a local hardware store cut it for $2-3, and program the key myself (1-2 minutes/key) following the owner's manual directions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28388735997...Cclp%3A2499334

For about $10/key, I can give each instructor & our local mechanic a key that will unlock the car door manually and start the car.

Replacing/creating a new key with remote entry (identical to our factory keys) could also be done, but it would be more costly (require a dealership/locksmith service for programming the remote part).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33327139886...IAAOSwniVcGqoL

For the typical family, having multiple keys may not be an issue (keys are kept on key rack that all have access to).

Personally, I like having the third key for my Mirage. It cost me less than $15. If I should lose a key, I can still make another now. I like having it on me during my longer trips from home. Should something happen & I lose my primary key, I have a back up key on hand. Meanwhile my second factory key with the key number tab attached is always safe back at home.

I see very little positive to push button start. I don't mind pulling my key out of my pocket and placing it in the ignition. I realize some of you really like push button start, but I would pay extra to not have that feature on a vehicle.