Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone programmed a spare FAST key?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Inuvik I was able to make this procedure work in my 2017! It took about 10 tries before it took but it DID work. On the successful try, for step 4 and 5, I held the Unlock button for 6 seconds before I pressed the Lock button for 2 seconds, released it, then released the Unlock button after about 2 seconds longer so the unlock button was held on for very close to 10 seconds total. Same for steps 6 and 7. In all my previous attempts I had completed step 4 and 5 (and 6 and 7) in more like 7 or 8 seconds. It was an eBay key I found for about $65. The new spare works perfect. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Ok, I think I can provide a little guidance on this.

For F.A.S.T.-key programming, follow the procedures below.

1. Open the driver’s door.
    NOTE: Keep the driver’s door open until F.A.S.T.-key programming is finished. Do not open or close other doors. You'll need BOTH original F.A.S.T. keys inside the vehicle in order to do this.

2. While carrying the first valid F.A.S.T.-key, put the operation mode in ON. (Perform the following procedure within 30 seconds.). Once you press the start button you have 30 seconds TOTAL time to get through this list.

3. Insert the new F.A.S.T.-key into the key slot.

4. With the first valid F.A.S.T.-key, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds and press the LOCK button during this time. (does this mean to press & HOLD the unlock button FIRST and press the lock button while holding down the unlock button?). Yes and continue to hold them both down.

5. Release in sequence the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons within 10 seconds of pressing the LOCK button in step 4. (Perform the following procedure within 30 seconds. Not technically correct, you only have 30 seconds from pushing the START button and not from beginning and completing steps #6 & #7) (what does it mean to "release in sequence"?) Release the LOCK button first and then the UNLOCK button second

6. With the SECOND valid F.A.S.T.-key, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds and press the LOCK button during this time. Same procedure as with the 1st F.A.S.T. key.

7. Release in sequence the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons within 10 seconds of pressing the LOCK button in step 6. The immobilizer warning light will blink. Again, same procedure as the 1st F.A.S.T. key.

From this moment on do not move or touch anything!!

When registration of ID code is complete, the buzzer will sound 3 times and the immobilizer indicator will come on for 30 seconds. Basically if the immobilizer indicator has been on for more than 3 seconds it's been a success but be patient because it's not done until the immobilizer indicator has come on for the FULL 30 seconds]. (what buzzer? It will be either the seatbelt nag noise or a beep if I recall correctly. If an error occurs, F.A.S.T.-key programming will be terminated and the buzzer will sound for 3 seconds. What is a error? Touching or doing ANYTHING during the 30 second immobilizer indicator period will cause it to fail.
    NOTE: F.A.S.T.-key programming will be terminated if the operation mode is put in OFF before the immobilizer warning light starts blinking.

8. If you wish to register another F.A.S.T.-key, repeat the process from step 1 after the operation mode is put in OFF.
    NOTE: The immobilizer display will go off immediately if the operation mode is put in OFF. It is not possible to register a F.A.S.T.-key if the immobilizer warning light goes off during the procedure. I did complete this once a while ago and this looks correct but it is confusing. It took me a lot of tries before I completed it (around a dozen tries if I recall) and ultimately I would recommend 2 people inside the car to do this and do some practice.

Hope this is helpful?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-31-2022),inuvik (10-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Inuvik I was able to make this procedure work in my 2017! It took about 10 tries before it took but it DID work. On the successful try, for step 4 and 5, I held the Unlock button for 6 seconds before I pressed the Lock button for 2 seconds, released it, then released the Unlock button after about 2 seconds longer so the unlock button was held on for very close to 10 seconds total. Same for steps 6 and 7. In all my previous attempts I had completed step 4 and 5 (and 6 and 7) in more like 7 or 8 seconds. It was an eBay key I found for about $65. The new spare works perfect. Thanks!!
    What a psychotic pain in the a** that was huh? Did you do it by yourself or two people?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, a real pain!! And for my initial attempts I had a helper as suggested, but the next day when I tried a couple more times (and was successful) my helper wasn't available. I'm just glad the blank key fob wasn't ruined by the failed attempts.