Thread: replacing rear wheel bearings

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

replacing rear wheel bearings

I have a 2015 mirage with 130,000 miles on it. a few weeks ago I started getting a howling noise coming from the rear axle that could be heard at about 50 mph or faster. I brought it into the shop and the mechanic recommended changing out my badly worn crappy tires. I changed out the tires and the mechanic mentioned that there was a little bit of play in both rear wheels and that the noise is very likely the bearings in each wheel.
    the mechanics up here in the Bay Area want to charge an arm and a leg for a job like that so I am interested in getting the parts and having an amigo South of the border help me out with the job.
    I am woefully ignorant about the parts necessary for changing out the bearings on both rear wheels on a Mitsubishi mirage, but from what I gather I will need the following parts:

2 real wheel bearings cassettes (mitsubishi part number (3885A039)

2 axle nuts (MB515403)

2 snap rings MU001558

I called my local auto parts store and they were unable to source any of these parts, so I went to Mitsubishi parts Warehouse and they didn't have the bearings but had the nuts and the snap rings, so i found these bearings on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/293370625667
    . I also understand that you need a hydraulic press to remove the cassette bearings from the rear wheels. I would appreciate some input on what parts are necessary to get this job done

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The brake drums and bearings are a single removable unit on these cars, and at 130k you are likely about due for rear brake drums as well. Might as well replace the drums complete with bearings. The cost will be a bit more but the labor will be much less, so it should pencil out.

More money for new parts, less money to install them. Plus, no presses are required. SOME people here have had luck sourcing new rear brake drums with bearings/ABS rings/wheel studs for about $100 a side from Rock Auto, others have been sent a bare drum instead. Depending on the last time you did the rear shoes you might consider doing them as well while you have everything apart. Brake shoes are cheap.

Another option is looking in a local wrecking yard for low-mile rear drums that can be swapped on. This is what I did the first time I needed to replace my drums, and I got lower mile bearings in the process. Instead of $100 per side it may be $20-30 per side. I just found a set at my local Pick-and-Pull and they were $13 each.

This is the way I'd go unless you have already replaced the drums at some point. Buying the rear wheel bearings a la carte is actually pretty expensive on these cars...for some reason...in addition to them being hard to find.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 08-09-2021 at 07:38 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    You could just pull a drum off and see in what condition it is before simply buying one without knowing if you really need it. Your part list seems OK.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    You could just pull a drum off and see in what condition it is before simply buying one without knowing if you really need it. Your part list seems OK.
    The 2014-2015 cars have smaller brakes that need to work harder, at least here in the States. My drums went about 140k before needing to be replaced. If the cost of the complete drum/bearing unit is very similar to the cost of the bearing alone then it makes sense just to replace the drums as well...unless they have already been replaced. The labor savings may well cover the difference.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The 2014-2015 cars have smaller brakes that need to work harder, at least here in the States. My drums went about 140k before needing to be replaced. If the cost of the complete drum/bearing unit is very similar to the cost of the bearing alone then it makes sense just to replace the drums as well...unless they have already been replaced. The labor savings may well cover the difference.
    thanks for the input !