Thread: coil pack performance?

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks

Lightbulb coil pack performance?

I had an experience:
    A few days ago I went to visit a friend who has a 2016 mirage, we went for a coffee, and suddenly the car started to fail: a coil failed.
    We arrived at his house and he showed me some 22448EY00A nissan coils, which we only erased the guides and the connector entered; we put the 3 coils in, and the car felt much much better, the response to acceleration improved (the coils were used).
    I was curious: could you put high performance coils? eh seen that there are nissan MSD and NPBoosted of Evo X but you have to change connectors (there is even a publication where they sell them with everything and connectors on ebay).

(excuse me, my english is very bad )

I would like to hear your opinions from the experts.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  59.4 KB

I even see that the one of evo x, it is identical, it only changes the connection

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Looks Cool, Sounds Cool, but lets hook up an oscilloscope to see what happens when a coil fires a spark plug.. If an OEM spark plug requires 20,000 volts to fire a plug & you put a high output coil on it, the high output coil will produce 20,000 volts to fire the plug. Nothing more. Electricity is very lazy. If you require a higher output then then the OEM coil, you have Mods or defects the new coil is overcoming... But the Great yellow or Red "MSD" stickers on the window look cool
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

turboblood (08-11-2021)

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Looks Cool, Sounds Cool, but lets hook up an oscilloscope to see what happens when a coil fires a spark plug.. If an OEM spark plug requires 20,000 volts to fire a plug & you put a high output coil on it, the high output coil will produce 20,000 volts to fire the plug. Nothing more. Electricity is very lazy. If you require a higher output then then the OEM coil, you have Mods or defects the new coil is overcoming... But the Great yellow or Red "MSD" stickers on the window look cool
    So I would have to modify the spark advance?

Or put a box for each coil?

(I had a spirit r / t where I put only the msd coil with a set of wires, on 171 hp dynamometer it gave me 178 hp, does not apply the same?)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i believe from thailand they where using a different coils.

ill check with my history what was the model

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

turboblood (08-11-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Modern ignition is beyond adequate on 99.9% of engines. The only time a more powerful coil was a benefit was in the old days of points ignition where the old school hot rodders were increasing spark plug gap because they incorrectly perceived a benefit to it.

I certainly doubt there would be any gain at all in upgrading ignition coils in the Mirage.

In fact, I've run factory ignition on every turbo car I've built with zero issues. So far the only issues I've had were with an actual MSD coil that barely lasted 10000km
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pimp_Daddy_Patty For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-18-2021),turboblood (08-18-2021)

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    i believe from thailand they where using a different coils.

ill check with my history what was the model
    I did not find here in the forum .......... but I found on facebook a workshop called NU GARAGE from thailand.
    He put coils of K20 HONDA with a spacer.

(In the experience I mentioned, I put a 3.7 v6 nissan coil and I felt improvement ..... why could it be? :confundido: )
    these are his photos:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to turboblood For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (08-19-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turboblood View Post

(In the experience I mentioned, I put a 3.7 v6 nissan coil and I felt improvement ..... why could it be? :confundido: )
    [/IMG]
    I always find my car runs better after I wash it,,, with less dirt on the paint, there is less wind drag... If your car runs better after putting different ignition coils on it, there is something else wrong, or you have some Mods that aren't quite right & a higher output coil is masking the problems...Can you show us the oscilloscope pattern to see what the firing voltage is before & after??? If you only changed the coils, I will bet the firing voltage & spark duration is exactly the same... Just my (experienced ) thoughts... They sure look COOL, tho...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

turboblood (08-19-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If your fuel/air mixture is already being ignited, you can't ignite it any more. Any perceived gain is just in your head, unless you already had an issue as stated.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pimp_Daddy_Patty For This Useful Post:

turboblood (08-19-2021)

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I always find my car runs better after I wash it,,, with less dirt on the paint, there is less wind drag... If your car runs better after putting different ignition coils on it, there is something else wrong, or you have some Mods that aren't quite right & a higher output coil is masking the problems...Can you show us the oscilloscope pattern to see what the firing voltage is before & after??? If you only changed the coils, I will bet the firing voltage & spark duration is exactly the same... Just my (experienced ) thoughts... They sure look COOL, tho...
    maybe yes, maybe it's not just my thoughts ......

But as you say, I am going to see the advance of spark, since I live in a place 3000 km high in Mexico City.

I have not seen or felt like this that I am telling you.
    I have repaired several taxis and uber mirage/attitude, and even putting new coils the mirage / attitude did not feel that it developed like that (more free).

Thank you for your comments, greetings