Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 Space Star Cross trim

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi Mirage is another good example of an old car's name being used and reused, for generations of cars. Like a Mustang and like a Toyota Corolla.

Ear lick of the marketing world. But that can take on wild examples. Like the electric Mustang 4 door is the most outrageous non-Mustang mustang if there is one. Btw I drove by an old dark-burgundy Mach II I believe. With the fastback and the AMC-style door handles, sure sounded cool and didn't even smell that much.

Re-using a car name is an age old tactic though. Cheap ploy to catch returning customers, as well as new ones on the TV and you tube ads. Rubs at their nostalgia.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mitsubishi Mirage is another good example of an old car's name being used and reused, for generations of cars. Like a Mustang and like a Toyota Corolla.

Ear lick of the marketing world. But that can take on wild examples. Like the electric Mustang 4 door is the most outrageous non-Mustang mustang if there is one. Btw I drove by an old dark-burgundy Mach II I believe. With the fastback and the AMC-style door handles, sure sounded cool and didn't even smell that much.

Re-using a car name is an age old tactic though. Cheap ploy to catch returning customers, as well as new ones on the TV and you tube ads. Rubs at their nostalgia.
    Car companies have changed the name of their cars & later gone back to the more popular/familiar name, too. Examples -

Ford Taurus became the Ford 500, & then the Taurus name reappeared.

The VW Golf was called the Rabbit for a few years, but the Golf name returned.

I don't care for vehicles that evolve into something else. A VW Golf has basically remained a VW Golf, & I sort of like that. Whereas the Civics & Corollas of the past have evolved into larger vehicles. Today's Corolla looks like the Camry of the past. Since many see bigger & more powerful as better, vehicles like the CR-V & RAV4 keep growing, & they lose some of their early generation charm.

The Mirage is already unique. Leave it alone! If you want a car that's a clone to everything else on the market, just create a new model for your line up. The Mirage is filling a niche that others aren't. Even American reviewers are starting to realize that now. I'm sort of glad the last Mirage update was just a bumper change mostly, & I am really happy that the 5-speed manual powertrain hasn't disappeared yet.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't care for vehicles that evolve into something else. A VW Golf has basically remained a VW Golf, & I sort of like that. Whereas the Civics & Corollas of the past have evolved into larger vehicles. Today's Corolla looks like the Camry of the past.
    The first Golf (1973) introduced as successor of the Beetle, was 3.70 m long. The current (2017) is 4.25 m. Here in Europe we have a 'smaller Golf', the Polo, which is currently 4 m, and growing. Meanwhile there is also a new 'smallest VW', the Up!, which is 3,54 m. So it is more equal to the first Golf than the current Golf. (And I think it's actually more spacy than the first Golf. The hood is shorter, leaving more room inside.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A few weeks ago I was the passenger in a 2018 or 19 GTi, and that is a true sports coupe hatchback for sure. Nothing compared to my '85 VW Rabbit with 13 inch tires, and Superbeetle wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)