Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I sold Scoot..... :/

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I want to travel to a larger city, they are all pretty much 65+ miles away. I am not making it there & back without a charge. but how does a limited range electric vehicle fit into your driving needs & do you have other vehicle alternatives?
    I really wonder about real world driving. I've seen how many miles you can get on a charge etc,,, but how far will it really go on a charge in my area when I go out in the AM in January & it's -30C & I turn on the Heat & Defrost??? The middle of July when it's 100 F with the humidity & I have to run the AC??? They only tell me the distance it will travel on a charge, but I think it's under the best conditions, not real world ones... Just my thoughts...

Last edited by Eggman; 08-16-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Fixed BB Code
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    . I really wonder about real world driving. I've seen how many miles you can get on a charge etc,,, but how far will it really go on a charge in my area when I go out in the AM in January & it's -30C & I turn on the Heat & Defrost??? The middle of July when it's 100 F with the humidity & I have to run the AC??? They only tell me the distance it will travel on a charge, but I think it's under the best conditions, not real world ones... Just my thoughts...
    Ironically, Canada is one of many countries that is considering a ban on selling gas vehicles by such & such a year.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...trucks-by-2035

Even goofy Scotty Kilmer was making fun of that a few weeks ago! He grew up in the Niagara Falls area & attended York University in Toronto. He has some understanding of northern winters.

I needed to do some tool shopping for a home project today. I made a trip to Harbor Freight, Home Depot, & Menards. Round trip was 145 miles. If I owned an EV vehicle that had less than a 100 mile range, I would be taking my Forester instead. An EV would force me to take my other vehicle that's more of a gas guzzler.

Visiting my parents is a 440 miles round trip. Since buying my Mirage, my Forester hasn't made the trip to my parents' home these past 4 years.

If my second vehicle was an EV (instead of a Mirage), I would be forced to use my less fuel efficient Forester more often. For my lifestyle & where I live, owning an EV would probably force me to use more gas!

90% of my mileage has gone on my Mirage (vs approximately 10% on my Forester). If I owned a limited range EV instead, my Forester percentage of use would have to climb drastically.

Using a limited range EV to compliment my Forester would most likely force me to use more gas rather than less. That's the reality of a limited range EV vehicle for my situation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    1. Just like the Mirage won’t work for every situation, electric vehicles are not for everyone. Yet.
    2. All vehicles are limited in range, including gasoline powered. The difference (problem) lies primarily in refueling/recharging time and secondarily in frequency. Recharging a EV wouldn’t be such a problem if it could be done as fast as a gas burner.
    3. Improvements in EV storage capacity, range and charge time are expected. Most problems are waiting for an engineer to concoct a solution.
    4. The range, durability, and reliability of today’s cars have come a Long Way since their introduction back in the late 1800s. Similar advancements can be reasonably expected and have largely been demonstrated in EV technology.
    5. Most discussions overlook the benefits of reduced maintenance (no more oil changes, tune-ups, fouled fuel systems, emissions equipment, pollution, carbon monoxide poisoning, on and on.)

An electric vehicle would work just fine for more than 95% of my driving but I’ve made choices that makes using today’s electric vehicles easier. I don’t live in a rural community. I live close to where I work, and have easy access to purchasing most of what I need. What I can’t get locally I can usually have delivered.

EVs may not be for everyone but they can do just fine for a lot of people right now. It’s kinda like advocating for more people to own a Mirage. And this could all be supplanted by some future hydrogen economy. Who’s to say?

Congratulations on your purchase Alex. I hope you let us know where to follow your EV adventures.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-16-2021 at 06:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    1. Just like the Mirage won’t work for every situation, electric vehicles are not for everyone. Yet.
    2. All vehicles are limited in range, including gasoline powered. The difference (problem) lies primarily in refueling/recharging time and secondarily in frequency. Recharging a EV wouldn’t be such a problem if it could be done as fast as a gas burner.
    3. Improvements in EV storage capacity, range and charge time are expected. Most problems are waiting for an engineer to concoct a solution.
    4. The range, durability, and reliability of today’s cars have come a Long Way since their introduction back in the late 1800s. Similar advancements can be reasonably expected and have largely been demonstrated in EV technology.
    5. Most discussions overlook the benefits of reduced maintenance (no more oil changes, tune-ups, fouled fuel systems, emissions equipment, pollution, carbon monoxide poisoning, on and on.)

An electric vehicle would work just fine for more than 95% of my driving but I’ve made choices that makes using today’s electric vehicles easier. I don’t live in a rural community. I live close to where I work, and have easy access to purchasing most of what I need. What I can’t get locally I can usually have delivered.

EVs may not be for everyone but they can do just fine for a lot of people right now. It’s kinda like advocating for more people to own a Mirage. And this could all be supplanted by some future hydrogen economy. Who’s to say?

Congratulations on your purchase Alex. I hope you let us know where to follow your EV adventures.
    All excellent points Eggman.

I bought the Spark because I don't do long trips anymore. My roundtrip to work is 30 miles, and being Portland, it's very friendly to EVs. Most places have charging. I also work at the airport which offers free charging to employees, so unless I drive a lot locally, it won't cost me much or ever for the charging.

There still is a little maintenance with my Spark. There's a coolant system for the battery and another for the drive unit and corresponding electronics. There is also Automatic Trans Fluid in the drive unit. Other than that, it shouldn't be too much $.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Hopefully the new infrastructure bill will include charging stations being put right off hwys in huge amounts numbers. Quick charging takes what, 45 mins for 80% charge in a Leaf? It'd def tack an extra hour or 2 on a roadtrip though, which sucks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hopefully the new infrastructure bill will include charging stations being put right off hwys in huge amounts numbers. Quick charging takes what, 45 mins for 80% charge in a Leaf? It'd def tack an extra hour or 2 on a roadtrip though, which sucks.
    All brands of vehicles should be required to use the same battery packs. Large, lightweight battery packs would be standard size for all vehicles. Instead of stopping for gas, you exchange your battery pack(s) at charging stations.

We put the same basic gasoline in our cars. Why can't we all use the same battery packs? You exchange your battery pack & be instantly on your way again!

That would make electric vehicles more appealing!

You'll still need charging stations, but your batteries are charged (already waiting for you) when you stop there. Even if it takes a robotic small crane to do the job, it would be more appealing. Plus, you wouldn't feel the need to tip a robot.

Want to become rich - patent this!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They have had this in the Electric Fork Truck segment for ages. It really doesn't work as well as it sounds. Plus you would always have the person who complained because they said they managed their battery better than the one they were given and now this "mismanaged" one didn't give them the range they expected and they were stuck and WHO IS GOING TO REIMBUSE ME FOR MY MISSED INSTAGRAM APPEARANCE!!!!"

All brands of vehicles should be required to use the same battery packs. Large, lightweight battery packs would be standard size for all vehicles. Instead of stopping for gas, you exchange your battery pack(s) at charging stations.

We put the same basic gasoline in our cars. Why can't we all use the same battery packs? You exchange your battery pack & be instantly on your way again!

You'll still need charging stations, but your batteries are charged (already waiting for you) when you stop there. Even if it takes a robotic small crane to do the job, it would be more appealing. Plus, you wouldn't feel the need to tip a robot.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    They have had this in the Electric Fork Truck segment for ages. It really doesn't work as well as it sounds. Plus you would always have the person who complained because they said they managed their battery better than the one they were given and now this "mismanaged" one didn't give them the range they expected and they were stuck and WHO IS GOING TO REIMBUSE ME FOR MY MISSED INSTAGRAM APPEARANCE!!!!"
    The technology would have to vastly improve. You would be exchanging battery packs constantly, especially on longer trips. If you have a pet battery pack, you may have to buy a second pack that you are willing to exchange.

I don't see people waiting in line at charging stations being very happy. Ideally, it would be a two battery pack vehicle, too. You can run a pack completely down & switch over to the next one. Exchange the empty one when convenient.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-17-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The technology would have to vastly improve. You would be exchanging battery packs constantly, especially on longer trips. If you have a pet battery pack, you may have to buy a second pack that you are willing to exchange.

I don't see people waiting in line at charging stations being very happy. Ideally, it would be a two battery pack vehicle, too. You can run a pack completely down & switch over to the next one. Exchange the empty one when convenient.
    I think that's a fantastic idea Mark. Cars would have to be completely redesigned though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

I agree Mark. Something along the lines of this but obviously at a larger scale.

https://www.gogoro.com/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)