Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I sold Scoot..... :/

I recall reading or watching vijeo's about telsa owners with the free lifetime supercharging. From what I understood Tesla didnt' want people relying strictly on free supercharging for their cars so they'd slow down charging rates at stations. I believe the main reason for the slow down was to help prolong battery life so as supercharging all the time wasn't great for the batteries? I could be on glue though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Fast charging can be harder long term for sure. I have never used it before my trip. I have a Level 1 and 2 at home.
    If the government truly wants the country to become electric, it needs to be done much smarter than this.

Just hypothetical -

Electric vehicles should have two separate battery packs that can be easily exchanged. As one is use up, a recharged one can be put in it's place. Stopping at a charging stations is just matter of exchanging a battery pack. Given their weight, it may be a robotic attendant helping you do the exchange.

All vehicle brands must use the exact same battery packs, just like we use the same fuel from the gas pumps. You also aren't allowed to get hung up on owning your battery packs either. Maybe they are owned by the government, and you pay so much for each battery exchange to help cover the cost of this technology.

I'm sorry, but nothing in life is free. If you're not paying for it, I am. That sort of stinks!

I would embrace this type of electric car technology. Having a screw gun with one battery pack sucks. Add a second battery pack, & I begin to like it much better. I have 4 different battery pack type tools (drills, leaf blower, nail gun, etc.) They each have to have their own charger & battery packs. None of them can be exchanged with the other tool. It sucks! When a battery pack dies, it's almost cheaper to buy a whole tool set. I hate it!!!!

Make an electric car I don't have to hate, & I will embrace it more! I am quite serious about this, too! It would have to be 5-speed manual electric car, but I won't hold my breath on that one!
    Last edited by Mark; 02-24-2022 at 12:14 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    If I'm exaggerating it, it's because I just don't know. I'm not purposely trying to exaggerate.

So your 800 mile trip only required 2 charges at 1.25 hours each? I question that. .
    It's responses like this that make me giggle some. You question it, I told you it. I charged a little over half-way there. I arrived in Spokane with 12% or so remaining. I was there and topped it off, one time from 90ish% back to 100%, then drove home. The way down is less in elevation, so I was using way less juice and charged again, a little more than half-way home with 25% or so. I made it home with still that same amount left. There was no limping. You can question it all you want, but I'm not making **** up to win any brownie points or anything. Just stating information.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There are 3 ways to charge a Bolt:

1. Level 1...............120V...about 4 miles per hour of charge
    2. Level 2...............240V/32 Amp...up to 25 miles per hour of charge
    3. DC Fast Charge...up to 55 kW...about 100 miles in 30 minutes of charging

Level 1 is plugging the car into a normal household outlet. It's the slowest way to charge an EV.

Level 2 requires a 240 Volt power source. These are the "free" charging stations you see in your local shopping centers, hotels, etc. You can also install an aftermarket 240V charger in your garage.

DC Fast Charging stations are what you use to put a lot of charge into the battery in a short period of time. Instead of filling your tank with gas in 7 minutes, you plug your Bolt into a DC Fast Charger for an hour or so while you grab something to eat.

But wait...there's more.

As an EV battery's state of charge goes up, the charging rate gradually goes down. So a Bolt can charge fairly quickly from 0% to say 75%. But the last 25% is going to be at a much slower rate. From what I can tell, most people on long road-trips don't stop and charge the battery up to 100% every time unless they really need that extra bit of range. It's faster to charge up to 75-80% and just get rolling to the next charging station.

More expensive EVs can DC fast charge at a faster rate than the Bolt. A Tesla Model 3 can charge up to 80% in something like 30 minutes using a Tesla supercharger.
    All true. From about 10% or so, about 1.25 hours to charge on a DC. The Bolt is slow at DC standards than many newer EVs, even it's Level 2 charging is only as quick as the on-board charger allows, like you said, not more than 55.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I recall reading or watching vijeo's about telsa owners with the free lifetime supercharging. From what I understood Tesla didnt' want people relying strictly on free supercharging for their cars so they'd slow down charging rates at stations. I believe the main reason for the slow down was to help prolong battery life so as supercharging all the time wasn't great for the batteries? I could be on glue though.
    It definitely can cause the battery to degrade quicker. I know 2 people, one with 200k and the other with 300k on their Bolts, and with that mileage, it's most often DC charging. The 200k Bolt still has about 85% capacity and the 300k about 80%, so it's still good considering the mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If the government truly wants the country to become electric, it needs to be done much smarter than this.

Just hypothetical -

Electric vehicles should have two separate battery packs that can be easily exchanged. As one is use up, a recharged one can be put in it's place. Stopping at a charging stations is just matter of exchanging a battery pack. Given their weight, it may be a robotic attendant helping you do the exchange.

All vehicle brands must use the exact same battery packs, just like we use the same fuel from the gas pumps. You also aren't allowed to get hung up on owning your battery packs either. Maybe they are owned by the government, and you pay so much for each battery exchange to help cover the cost of this technology.
    You're not wrong. This is a thing already happening in China. Nio, Kandi, and Xpeng all have battery stations. One example.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfwRaoXs_Pg

All in all, it costs me $0.09 a KWH to charge my car. With a complete dead battery, that comes to $5.13 to charge full, and get 250 miles from it. I cannot match that with any gas car. I also will hypothetically have zero maintenance until the 120k mark. Then the coolant systems will need a drain and refill, but since I'm getting a new battery, I can push that off until that battery is at 120K. I have not touched the brake pedal in the last week, and the pads are still 80% or so, so they will last a long time yet. The regen paddle and strong regen negate the need to brake.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I would embrace this type of electric car technology. Having a screw gun with one battery pack sucks. Add a second battery pack, & I begin to like it much better. I have 4 different battery pack type tools (drills, leaf blower, nail gun, etc.) They each have to have their own charger & battery packs. None of them can be exchanged with the other tool. It sucks! When a battery pack dies, it's almost cheaper to buy a whole tool set. I hate it!!!!
    Also, a choice by you right? I have Ryobi tools. Regular drill, Impact drill, Impact gun, hand air compressor, leaf blower, pressure washer, 1 circular saw and a miter saw, one shop-vac, portable car-vac, and a hot-glue gun. All the same battery pack.

I do think universal battery packs is a great idea, not feasible with the different size cars and standards, and never will be. You cannot think a 180 kwh from a Rivian, completely different need and space, should just be able to swap with a Bolt or another small car. Maybe if they all had the same packs and larger vehicles had the same pack, but multiple ones, that could work. That's not even taking into account if the packs are air-cooled or antifreeze-cooled, or some that are freon cooled. They'd all have to get that figured out too. The Leaf seems fine with air, but the Bolt has coolant, the Rivian uses a system with coolant and freon. To get all the manufacturers to standardize all this in not going to happen. Doesn't mean that EVs are inferior to gas.
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 02-24-2022 at 12:41 AM.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Also, a choice by you right?
    Nope! All but one were gifts. That's what happenings when people ask you what you want for Christmas, & you don't give them an answer. So that part was my choice I guess.

My 2 ATVs, UTV, ridiing lawnmower, 2 push mowers, 3 chainsaws, grass trimmer, log splitter, rototiller, & whatever else I have, however, all take the same gas (some 2-strokes might need a little oil added).

My point isn't really about power tools or small engines. It was about all cars sharing the same technology. If I am taking a long trip, I want to be able to stop & exchange battery packs in a timely manner. Which isn't much different than buying the same type of gas as every one else.

I also not saying we give up our ability to charge at home. I am just looking at ways to make longer trips more desirable, because that's a hang up for some (or maybe just me).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    It's responses like this that make me giggle some. You question it, I told you it. I charged a little over half-way there. I arrived in Spokane with 12% or so remaining. I was there and topped it off, one time from 90ish% back to 100%, then drove home. The way down is less in elevation, so I was using way less juice and charged again, a little more than half-way home with 25% or so. I made it home with still that same amount left. There was no limping. You can question it all you want, but I'm not making **** up to win any brownie points or anything. Just stating information.
    So I was correct. It wasn't just the 2 charges while on the road. There was an overnight charge while you were there. I don't understand why you may be getting defensive. I already told you I don't know. And I said I question it, that's all. Because from the way I read your response, you indicated that there were only 2 (approximately 1 hour) charge events on your 800 mile trip. But actually there were 3, and one was probably overnight. Not that it makes much difference. But I just didn't think it sounded feasible to complete that trip on 2 approximately 1 hour on the road charges. If I had been in your shoes, I would have certainly charged it overnight (a time or two) while in Spokane.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)