Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I sold Scoot..... :/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's the typical service I expect Mitsu, ferd and Gm were all crap when it comes to dealer work from what I've seen first hand. The only dealer that didn't dick around and did decent work was a Nissan dealer one town over. Obviously everyone's experience will vary.
    I'm ALWAYS Toyota biased as some of you may notice. But that only extends as far as the country of Japan, and the Toyota Technical Center in Michigan.

When it comes to TMS, HMS, and KMS, the American side of Toyota, Hyundai and Kia, the dealers and their service ALL SUCK.

I had the worst service I ever had in my life on my old 2004 Corolla when they replaced the passenger airbag (recall). The shop was full of, well I won't say. But of all the techs there, they only had about 5 teeth in total. I made a complete, detailed, pictured powerpoint presentation on just how sh1tty they treated my car, everything they F'd up, and the mess I was left to clean up afterward. And emailed it to the dealership owner. I never heard anything back, but I hope the "tech" got an earful. That's why I try my damndest to never take my vehicles to a car dealer for service ... hell, for ANYTHING. I don't trust them to vacuum the carpets correctly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Damn. Just evolving so quickly are we?
    How can one confirm if the battery has been replaced or not?
    Its just such a nice car.

Picture below. There is a label on the back of the pack. 57kw is old and 64 is new.. range will be closer to 300 when swapped.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    My opinion was that the Volt was the best electric vehicle concept out there. Does the Bolt use the Volts electric vehicle with an ICE engine as a back-up generator?
    There's quite a difference between the two. 35 miles on electric vs 250. Way more power and torque in bolt...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    There's quite a difference between the two. 35 miles on electric vs 250. Way more power and torque in bolt...
    Inferior, in my opinion, to a Volt. I find it quite amazing that auto-makers think that full electric vehicles are a viable solution "at this point in time considering the current infrastructure."

And I find it quite amazing that the leading solutions from automakers, are not JUST LIKE THE VOLT.

I know I'm the odd duck. And this is DEFINITLY not to say that someone who buys an all electric vehicle isn't smart. Not at all. But it seems to me that a fully electric vehicles causes, almost forces, and 2nd vehicle purchase / ownership (maybe that's the gimmick from auto companies at the moment, to help increase their sales). I.E. A person who wants to drive on all electric around town, but will from time to time have to drive medium to longer distance trips is going to benefit from having a backup vehicle with an ICE drivetrain.

A leaf, a bolt, a Tata, none of them would have taken the trip I just had to do to go get my mother-in-law. It was about 420 miles, there and back. No spending the night to let the car charge. Maybe there is a vehicle or two that may go that distance, but I'd be puckered the whole way there and back. And I would have to make sure I got every electron squeezed into the batteries before I left to go get her. And I would have had to not touch the car for errands for HOURS before that trip. It would have been a whole damn production, and a challenge to get there and back without having to stop for hours to charge. And this was from Atlanta metro, to very rural south GA, back to Atlanta metro. There's no charging stations between cotton fields.

But a Volt (powertrain)? 95% or greater of most people's driving would be all electric. But even if I had driven my allotted 40 miles for the "day" in a Volt, and suddenly had to do that 420 mile round trip ... no problem for a Volt (no concern, no preparation, no range anxiety, no planning for charging, no locating strategic charging stations). It still is the BEST electric vehicle concept to date, in my opinion. No need for a second vehicle. The Volt can handle it all and creates a SERIOUS drop in fossil fuel usage.

A Volt type drivetrain in a compact pickup truck, gets my money. C'mon Toyota, DO IT!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Inferior, in my opinion, to a Volt. I find it quite amazing that auto-makers think that full electric vehicles are a viable solution "at this point in time considering the current infrastructure."

And I find it quite amazing that the leading solutions from automakers, are not JUST LIKE THE VOLT.

I know I'm the odd duck. And this is DEFINITLY not to say that someone who buys an all electric vehicle isn't smart. Not at all. But it seems to me that a fully electric vehicles causes, almost forces, and 2nd vehicle purchase / ownership (maybe that's the gimmick from auto companies at the moment, to help increase their sales). I.E. A person who wants to drive on all electric around town, but will from time to time have to drive medium to longer distance trips is going to benefit from having a backup vehicle with an ICE drivetrain.

A leaf, a bolt, a Tata, none of them would have taken the trip I just had to do to go get my mother-in-law. It was about 420 miles, there and back. No spending the night to let the car charge. Maybe there is a vehicle or two that may go that distance, but I'd be puckered the whole way there and back. And I would have to make sure I got every electron squeezed into the batteries before I left to go get her. And I would have had to not touch the car for errands for HOURS before that trip. It would have been a whole damn production, and a challenge to get there and back without having to stop for hours to charge. And this was from Atlanta metro, to very rural south GA, back to Atlanta metro. There's no charging stations between cotton fields.

But a Volt (powertrain)? 95% or greater of most people's driving would be all electric. But even if I had driven my allotted 40 miles for the "day" in a Volt, and suddenly had to do that 420 mile round trip ... no problem for a Volt (no concern, no preparation, no range anxiety, no planning for charging, no locating strategic charging stations). It still is the BEST electric vehicle concept to date, in my opinion. No need for a second vehicle. The Volt can handle it all and creates a SERIOUS drop in fossil fuel usage.

A Volt type drivetrain in a compact pickup truck, gets my money. C'mon Toyota, DO IT!
    Somewhat valid.

I took a 800 mile round trip to Spokane this weekend. One stop there for 1.25 to charge, had lunch. I spent a few days there and drove back... 1 stop too. Charged, had dinner and back. You're exaggerating a bit lol.

Taking a 1600 mile trip to bannf 8n July, not sweating that either.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Your Bolt has the DC Fast Charging option I assume?

HERE is an explanation of why GM replaced the Volt with the Bolt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

An ev would work for most people most of the time but not great for everyone all of the time. Sure you can do road trips with an ev. I do like being able to hop in any vehicle I own at any time I want and just drive somewhere. If I'm low on fuel I stop and fill it up at will at one of many convenient gas stations.
    But with that said, I think now could be a great time to own an ev in my area(as a commuter car). There are a lot of charging stations with a lot of them being free that I never knew about until I actually looked it up. I never see any cars charging at them. My only concern would be having to rely on them while on a trip and discovering the ones you planned on using being used already or out of order ruining or slowing down your day. I've had this happen zero times so far when looking for gas or diesel. But have had trouble finding a place to fill up a propane vehicle more than once.

And to save some reading...It looks like they cancelled the volt because it wasn't profitable.

I believe the member that I bought my current mirage from had a bolt as well. I'd consider one, I'm a cheap ******* though and can't quite justify buying one. Every time I consider a hybrid or ev of some kind I round back to it making zero sense financially for me. This obviously isn't the case for everyone. For me though, my car is paid off and has a next to new drivetrain. It should require little money in the next 5-10 years to keep running. Brakes, tires, windshields, fuel, oil changes etc...I could buy a lot of Mirage oil changes, tires and gas for what it costs to buy a new or even used ev. I'll probably pick one up one day though when the price of fuel becomes taxed worse than it is already and it no longer makes any sense to drive a how-dare-you mobile.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-23-2022 at 06:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'll probably pick one up one day though when the price of fuel becomes taxed worse than it is already...
    But by that time, EV Charging could be taxed out the wazoo when our trusty gobments start hurting from the lack of liquid fuel tax revenues.

This is true.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Somewhat valid.

I took a 800 mile round trip to Spokane this weekend. One stop there for 1.25 to charge, had lunch. I spent a few days there and drove back... 1 stop too. Charged, had dinner and back. You're exaggerating a bit lol.
    If I'm exaggerating it, it's because I just don't know. I'm not purposely trying to exaggerate.

So your 800 mile trip only required 2 charges at 1.25 hours each? I question that. I would have to guess that during the "few days there" there was an overnight full charge or two. And that the 1.25 hour charge you mentioned, limped you on into Spokane. And another 1.25 hour charge on the way home limped you home. Nothing wrong with any of that. Just trying to understand.

Let's say my 210 mile trip to my mother-in-law's was done in a Bolt. I would have got there and been 210 miles into a 250 mile range run. That means I would have had to spend the night, while a mule walked circles all night to turn the generator to charge the car. Ok, that mule part was purposeful exaggerating. She does have electricity. But it would have been a 110 Volt charge, overnight.

And prior to that trip down there, I would have had to made sure to "have the car ready." Which means I would have had to make sure that battery pack was fully charged. Which means it would have to have been virtually untouched prior to my trip, for as long as it took to fully charge it. Which means if I wanted to go get a hooker prior to the journey, I would have had to use a different vehicle, so I didn't eat into the range.

I'm not saying it's not cool, or it's bad, or not smart or anything negative about the Bolt. My only point is, none of the negative aspects I just mentioned exist in any way shape or form, with the Volt drivetrain. And my normal commute is 3.5 miles x 2, plus a lunch run. So maybe 15 miles a day. Which means on a Volt, I could use zero gas in and around town. And on the occasion I was ordered by my Supreme Commander to go pick up her mother, I could still jump in the Volt at any time without any prep, without any range anxiety and take off. Rendering the Volt a superior concept. And I'm flabbergasted automakers haven't jumped all over it. GM knocked it out of the park with the Volt in my opinion. Time to put the engineers to the task of making it profitable. Toyota could do that in a second.

Maybe it was too good. And maybe having range limited EVs spark additional (backup) vehicle sales. I don't know. But I'm going to go back and look at the link you posted.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    There are 3 ways to charge a Bolt:

1. Level 1...............120V...about 4 miles per hour of charge
    2. Level 2...............240V/32 Amp...up to 25 miles per hour of charge
    3. DC Fast Charge...up to 55 kW...about 100 miles in 30 minutes of charging

Level 1 is plugging the car into a normal household outlet. It's the slowest way to charge an EV.

Level 2 requires a 240 Volt power source. These are the "free" charging stations you see in your local shopping centers, hotels, etc. You can also install an aftermarket 240V charger in your garage.

DC Fast Charging stations are what you use to put a lot of charge into the battery in a short period of time. Instead of filling your tank with gas in 7 minutes, you plug your Bolt into a DC Fast Charger for an hour or so while you grab something to eat.

But wait...there's more.

As an EV battery's state of charge goes up, the charging rate gradually goes down. So a Bolt can charge fairly quickly from 0% to say 75%. But the last 25% is going to be at a much slower rate. From what I can tell, most people on long road-trips don't stop and charge the battery up to 100% every time unless they really need that extra bit of range. It's faster to charge up to 75-80% and just get rolling to the next charging station.

More expensive EVs can DC fast charge at a faster rate than the Bolt. A Tesla Model 3 can charge up to 80% in something like 30 minutes using a Tesla supercharger.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-23-2022)