Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increase in tire noise - 100k+ miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Increase in tire noise - 100k+ miles

I always knew that the car is loud. But at around 90k miles, tire noise has gone through the roof. I thought it may have been the cheap / black friday tires (goodyear) from walmart a couple of years ago so I let it go.

Fast forward to earlier this month where I put a different set of wheels+tires on the mirage. While the noise lessened (because these tires are newer), the overall tire/road noise is still higher than back in 50k miles.

Question:
    did anyone notice a change in noise levels as the car aged?
    what (suspension related) items should be serviced or replaced at 100k miles that may be the culprit?

I will be the first to admit that I have 2 new struts and 2 new shocks that are ready to be installed. However, I'm in the middle of deliberating if I want to keep the mirage. I'm getting old, just bought my first home, and may lean into luxury and/or a compact crossover.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Check out this thread and see if anything sounds familiar: Wheel bearing maybe

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Different tire brand/tread pattern can make louder tire noise. The noise increase seems to have coincided with the change in tires?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ares -
    Top Fuel is right - my car started getting so loud that I couldn't hear the radio. I couldn't believe it was wheel bearing noise, but it was. Here's what I did to find the bad bearing:
    Jack up each wheel, put your hand on the coil spring and spin the wheel by hand. A bad bearing will vibrate the spring, no mistaking the bad one!
    My car is so quiet now, it's almost like new. Driver side front bearing was bad. I, too, thought it had to be bad tires, but it was the wheel bearing.
    Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (08-21-2021),daleWV (08-21-2021),Eggman (08-20-2021),inuvik (08-20-2021),Mark (08-20-2021),ThunderG (08-22-2021),Top_Fuel (08-20-2021),Wil B (08-20-2021),x111951753 (02-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Ares -
    Top Fuel is right - my car started getting so loud that I couldn't hear the radio. I couldn't believe it was wheel bearing noise, but it was. Here's what I did to find the bad bearing:
    Jack up each wheel, put your hand on the coil spring and spin the wheel by hand. A bad bearing will vibrate the spring, no mistaking the bad one!
    My car is so quiet now, it's almost like new. Driver side front bearing was bad. I, too, thought it had to be bad tires, but it was the wheel bearing.
    Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
    I guess you're right. Now I have to figure out if I want to put $ into the car to get this fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Yeah, must be both front wheel bearings. Now I feel the 'thump, thump thump' when turning either direction. Steady noise now, better above 50 mph.
    Just hoping the wheel(s) don't come off! I plan to do this job within the next week or so. Will get pics. Fummins, did you say they usually get noisy with no play?
    That clicking noise only happens (for me) on full turn - which only happens once every so often parking. When I first discovered it (at least 30k miles ago) I thought it may have been a 'feature' which has largely been ignored.

I saw Fummin's instructions on how to get it out/fixed, but I think it's outside my comfort level - especially for a part this important.

Can someone give me a decent ballpark $ for this repair?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Went around to the car shops around the neighborhood. Seems to be $1100-$1800 for parts and labor for both front hub/bearings.

Not sure why it's so expensive; the parts that I found from rockauto are like under $50 a piece.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That seems really expensive. It's not a difficult job at all.
    The only trouble I had was the wheel speed sensor was stuck and broke off in the steering knuckle. New sensor was around 100. Bearings were around 50 each or less. Axle nut was around 10.
    There's a good video on youtube of some guys in Phillipines changing a bearing on a Mirage, worth watching.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (08-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You may need one, the other may be ok. I'd just change the noisy one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    This guy just paid $900 to replace both front bearings.

Taking everything apart just to replace the front wheel bearings is a bit labor intensive. And if the shop is sourcing the parts from a Mitsubishi dealer (and then marking them up 40%), then about 1/2 of the cost of this job is going to be in parts. See the bill posted in the link above.

If you don't have a lot of money, tools or time...then consider just replacing your entire knuckle assembly (with a used one) if you have a bad bearing. See the thread referenced above.

Be sure to diagnose your problem. Just don't throw new front wheel bearings on if you aren't sure that's when your problem is. The noise could be rear wheel bearings...which are easier to replace.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (08-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apologies for not following up on this...

I caved in and had a shop change the front hubs. Issue resolved.

I watched and rewatched a few videos and think I would have done it if I had a press. Especially since I need to replace the struts anyway...

She's quiet as a kitten now - when coasting at slow speeds lol.

Thanks everyone for the input.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Basic (02-16-2022),Mark (02-16-2022),Top_Fuel (02-16-2022)