Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide to keep the mirage - or not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Help me decide to keep the mirage - or not.

I'm kinda getting tired of the mirage with the issues below:
    • tire/road noise - see the other thread I just started
    • AC is half broken - when the compressor got replaced, the shop claimed that the sensor that controls when the compressor turns on/off also needs to be replaced. Well, guess where that sensor just so happens to be? Near the firewall. I may as well do this when the Heater core is replaced. Speaking of which:
    • Heater core needs to be replaced Y'all know the drill with these 2014s. This will most likely be a $1k job. As much as I want to do this myself, I'm sure I wont be able to put everything back together so I'll have to get a shop to do it.
    • glove box is noisy (plastic on plastic)
    • Need to replace struts/shocks (new ones in the garage)

Really, the above list does not warrant a new car purchase. But at the same time, should I be dropping money on the Mirage when (at most) I may use it as a primary vehicle for no more than another year. If I get the AC and heater core fixed, I need to live with the noise that seems to be getting louder and louder.

I now work downtown at 32 miles one-way so I'm spending significantly more time (about 1.5hrs a day) in the car. Since I'm spending more time in a vehicle, I'm getting to the age where I may as well enjoy that time.

I'm torn on getting a Lexus GS or RX. Also considering Audi A5 (that will play nice with the TT in the garage)

Or go practical and get the Tucson - which has heated AND ventilated seats.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Keep the Mirage and save your money. Do a coolant flush with an ammonia based product to dissolve the goo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I'm kinda getting tired of the mirage with the issues below:
    • tire/road noise - see the other thread I just started
    • AC is half broken - when the compressor got replaced, the shop claimed that the sensor that controls when the compressor turns on/off also needs to be replaced. Well, guess where that sensor just so happens to be? Near the firewall. I may as well do this when the Heater core is replaced. Speaking of which:
    • Heater core needs to be replaced Y'all know the drill with these 2014s. This will most likely be a $1k job. As much as I want to do this myself, I'm sure I wont be able to put everything back together so I'll have to get a shop to do it.
    • glove box is noisy (plastic on plastic)
    • Need to replace struts/shocks (new ones in the garage)

Really, the above list does not warrant a new car purchase. But at the same time, should I be dropping money on the Mirage when (at most) I may use it as a primary vehicle for no more than another year. If I get the AC and heater core fixed, I need to live with the noise that seems to be getting louder and louder.

I now work downtown at 32 miles one-way so I'm spending significantly more time (about 1.5hrs a day) in the car. Since I'm spending more time in a vehicle, I'm getting to the age where I may as well enjoy that time.

I'm torn on getting a Lexus GS or RX. Also considering Audi A5 (that will play nice with the TT in the garage)

I get those complaints. I too drive 64 miles a day, so I know what you're feeling. Life is short, if you want something different, go for it. Youve put in your time in the Mirage, saved lots of gas and put out low emissions. Not the best time to buy, though...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts

Ares - You are in a conundrum. I think that as dirty as dealers are, maybe you button it up as clean and you can and trade it in. Let a dealer have the problems. Course if an ammonia based product can correct your coolant / heater core issue, that's a big thing to consider.

I have a Lexus. I think the GS would be the optimal driving machine compared to the others you listed. I wouldn't chance an A5 as they are not going to have the reliability that Lexus has.

I'm wondering, maybe you trade in on a new / newer problem free Mirage? Otherwise, my vote is the GS. I have an LS 460L. When I drive it I realize it is way fancier than I need. And that I'm just slapping miles on it for no good reason when I could be crushing the miles on the Mirage. What I'm trying to say is: The Mirage is "Guilt-Free Mile Crushing." And there's value in that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (08-24-2021),Fummins (08-19-2021),inuvik (08-19-2021),Mark (08-20-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Brother your in that Houston traffic for almost 2 hours a day and your AC isn't working 100%? I know I sure as hell couldn't do it anymore, not with those lousy Mirage seats. When I was doing Uber and Instacart on the side, I could barely get out of my car after driving 7 hours. My right leg would be killing me from my ankle to my right butt check it was either complete numbness or a horrid burning sensation. I was aggravating my Sciatica nerve terribly.

What they said.

On your other thread you mention you're getting old and just bought your first house. If that's the case I'd be driving that Mirage til the wheels fall off. Or as mentioned above, just replace it with another one that isn't "worn out". That is of course unless you're mortgage free or owe next to nothing...

Driving a cheap Mirage is helping me pay down my mortgage quicker and still blow money on stuff I like to do. I still often wish I had something nicer but I'd rather be debt free, have moneys for kids to go to school, and have a nest egg before I'm retired. Stupid priorities...

But everyone's situation is different.

If you do decide you've had enough with cheap,reliable car life then I'm sure you'll be able to find someone around here that'd gladly take your Mirage off your hands. For cheap of course.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    tire/road noise - see the other thread
    If you have newer, high quality tires (that don't have any funky wear patterns) and you still have lots of "road noise" then you might want to check your wheel bearings. Seems like we've had a few people lately dealing with bad front and/or rear wheel bearings.

My 2015 just crossed over 100K miles. I just put new (low-mile take-off) struts and shocks on. I also put new (quality) tires on about 5K miles ago. My car is no louder now than it was when it was new. It's no Lexus but it doesn't sound like I'm driving down the road on Super Swampers either.

AC is half broken - when the compressor got replaced, the shop claimed that the sensor that controls when the compressor turns on/off also needs to be replaced.
    If a $50 pressure switch/sensor is keeping your AC from working correctly, go ahead and get it replaced if you trust that shop.

Heater core needs to be replaced Y'all know the drill with these 2014s.
    Is the heater core leaking or is does it have the "lack of heat" condition? It only needs to be replaced if the core is leaking. Otherwise, you can fill the heater core with some specific substances to clean it out. You live in Houston...what do you need a heater for anyway?

This is a bad time to be looking for a car. You'll have to overpay for anything you buy right now, and you'll probably get hosed when you trade your car in. The good news is that people seem to be overpaying for used Mirages if you are willing to sell it yourself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You got a 14 ES with a stick? That's a good one to hold onto. I recently sold my last two Mirages, both DE models with manual transmissions... Kind of regret it. They're good little cars that get good fuel economy.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Not the best time to buy, though...
    This is the ONLY reason why I have not purchased yet.

FWIW, with the exception of the 2012 v6 mustang I had for a year or two, all my other vehicles were subcompacts. Corolla, Rio, etc. So I've done my fair share of not being a gas guzzler.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    What I'm trying to say is: The Mirage is "Guilt-Free Mile Crushing." And there's value in that.
    I was thinking of the LS as well, but I feel like it's too 'rich' for me as well. GS has a nice balance in my opinion.

I plan on keeping the mirage as an 'in town' car. The heater core problem and AC issues aren't a live/die scenario for in-town driving. Hell, even the (newly discovered) wheel hub issues may remain unfixed if I'll be using the mirage for under 15 miles a week.

The new car will end up being daily/long distance driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Brother your in that Houston traffic for almost 2 hours a day and your AC isn't working 100%?
    One can say the AC is working too good - in that the compressor is running at 100% ALL THE TIME causing the evaporator to freeze if left unattended. I push the AC button on/off myself to unfreeze. Recently, though, I found that they placed a sensor in the footwell vent - so if I have air flowing to the footwell, the compressor turns off just before the evaporator freezes.

No; I'm not dealing with the Houston heat. I've did my time of driving around without AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    You got a 14 ES with a stick? That's a good one to hold onto.
    I feel Mitsu's stupid for not offering the 'top trim' with stick. I love the leather steering/shift + push button start + MT. I would consider purchasing the exact same vehicle at $14k new if I can.
    Last edited by Ares; 08-23-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You deserve your own post lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you have newer, high quality tires (that don't have any funky wear patterns) and you still have lots of "road noise" then you might want to check your wheel bearings. Seems like we've had a few people lately dealing with bad front and/or rear wheel bearings.
    I'm 99.9% sure this is the problem. Now the question is how much will it cost to fix.

My 2015 just crossed over 100K miles. I just put new (low-mile take-off) struts and shocks on. I also put new (quality) tires on about 5K miles ago. My car is no louder now than it was when it was new. It's no Lexus but it doesn't sound like I'm driving down the road on Super Swampers either.
    I just need to get the struts and shocks installed. They're new and already purchased (I believe less than $100 total?); just need to get it done.

If a $50 pressure switch/sensor is keeping your AC from working correctly, go ahead and get it replaced if you trust that shop.
    Technically, the switch is already installed albeit in the incorrect spot - because they wanted $1k to disassemble the dash in order to put it in the correct place.

Is the heater core leaking or is does it have the "lack of heat" condition? It only needs to be replaced if the core is leaking. Otherwise, you can fill the heater core with some specific substances to clean it out. You live in Houston...what do you need a heater for anyway?
    The heater core is not leaking. But if they need to get in the same area to install the AC sensor, they may as well replace the core.

This is a bad time to be looking for a car. You'll have to overpay for anything you buy right now, and you'll probably get hosed when you trade your car in. The good news is that people seem to be overpaying for used Mirages if you are willing to sell it yourself.
    Only reason why I havent purchased a new vehicle is because of the inflated prices. I may keep the mirage for in-town use.