Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternator Upgrade

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BillAce,
    I have a JBL club 4 channel x 75 but running it 3 channel to put a little bass. I had a 2 channel amp on 2 12’s but the car just couldn’t handle the electrical load. Been trying to find away since then but without spending an arm and a leg.
    I did find that autotechengineeringusa.com does make high output alternators for our car. 130-180 amp for $360 w/shipping.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would do the "Big 3" first and upgrade ground and the charge wire. I wouldn't expect that power level to cause much trouble. I have a 40w x 12ch amp and no dimming issues.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The big 3 is done the problems where when I had a friends 2 SKAR 10’s with a 3k amp. I couldn’t run both amps

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That would definitely be beyond the capability of the electrical system.
    3000 / 13.2 = 227A
    Of course 227A is the peak current and music transients won't normally demand that but that also assume a 100% efficient amp which even with class D amps isn't possible.
    I'd like to run lower power class A amps I'd higher but consistent

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I definitely had to learn things the hard way with this car. 13 years in the navy and the last 6 years in power plants I should have used some of those skills to not exceed my electrical system but as the math shows I did. I never in a million years would have thought there was an 80amp alternator I honestly thought the minimum was 130 amps but we live and learn. I did however find another company that builds high output alternators for a lot less than I had seen previously(and isn’t much more than a good refurbished one) Brand X Electrical makes various high output alternators. Below are their prices and their lead times. I went ahead and purchased their 240 amp alternator so we will see how well they do. I went with a much larger alternator not only for my stereo but I have planned to upgrade my cheap air horns to a set that requires an air compressor( big trucks in the South Carolina can never see me but they will sure hear me!)
    180 $305
    240 $345
    270 $375
    325 $425

Idle output is around 140-150 amps on these at 650-700 rpm.

We do not recommend the 325 amp unless you have 800+ idle rpm and a crank pulley larger than 6”.

All units come with a lifetime warranty at parts cost for repair or rebuild, and 6 month no defect guarantee.

3-4 weeks is average lead time on all custom order units that require a billet frame. Due to covid we do ask people give some extra time in some cases custom orders like this / builds can take as long as 6 weeks.

All prices are shipped to the continental US

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambam234 View Post
    I definitely had to learn things the hard way with this car. 13 years in the navy and the last 6 years in power plants I should have used some of those skills to not exceed my electrical system but as the math shows I did. I never in a million years would have thought there was an 80amp alternator I honestly thought the minimum was 130 amps but we live and learn. I did however find another company that builds high output alternators for a lot less than I had seen previously(and isn’t much more than a good refurbished one) Brand X Electrical makes various high output alternators. Below are their prices and their lead times. I went ahead and purchased their 240 amp alternator so we will see how well they do. I went with a much larger alternator not only for my stereo but I have planned to upgrade my cheap air horns to a set that requires an air compressor( big trucks in the South Carolina can never see me but they will sure hear me!)
    180 $305
    240 $345
    270 $375
    325 $425

Idle output is around 140-150 amps on these at 650-700 rpm.

We do not recommend the 325 amp unless you have 800+ idle rpm and a crank pulley larger than 6”.

All units come with a lifetime warranty at parts cost for repair or rebuild, and 6 month no defect guarantee.

3-4 weeks is average lead time on all custom order units that require a billet frame. Due to covid we do ask people give some extra time in some cases custom orders like this / builds can take as long as 6 weeks.

so far the highest AMP ive seen in a mitsubishi stock car is 130amp its on the evo 10.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambam234 View Post
    180 $305
    240 $345
    270 $375
    325 $425

That is incredibly cheap, Have they told you what size alternator will fit in the mirage? would alternators of all these amperages fit in the mirage?

How would this alternator regulate voltage? will it retain the same 4 pin connector that goes to the ecu that the mirage uses?

Have you considered things like the battery to alternator wiring certainly wouldn't be able to handle that kind of current?

Have you considered factors like the output curve of these alternators? Most alternators dont product alot of power at idle especially higher current designs.

Will the alternator have a temperature control circuit to prevent it from overheating when drawing max power while idling as it presumably uses a fully driven fan? like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgoIocPgOug
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes those amperage’s are available for the mirage. They are utilizing an OEM alternator so will be a direct replacement and pcm will still be used for voltage regulation and field current. The only amperage that is of concern would be the largest 325 amp and the concern was idle speeds high enough. https://brand-x-electrical.myshopify.com/ Here is a link to their website. They Utilize large heat sinks as part of the cooling. I will definitely be posting on here when it arrives and will show comparisons pictures and report any issues and feedback.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The 240 amp alternator arrived today from Brand X. I will make a separate post about it and the install.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bambam234 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-19-2022),mohammad (08-19-2022)