Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Upgrade

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Alternator Upgrade

A mirage member had upgraded his Alternator.

The alternator came from a Colt Z21 has a 95amp and said no errors after installation and it fits without modifications.

Name:  FB_IMG_1629669396455.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  FB_IMG_1629669402148.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  52.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there a part number on it we can try to cross reference in the U.S.?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    Is there a part number on it we can try to cross reference in the U.S.?
    i believe its in the picture "1800A301"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wouldnt a higher rated alternator result in more parasitic loss / power loss to the wheels?

Remember that we have an engine that you can physically feel power loss when the AC compressor kicks in... If anything, I'd like to lessen what's being driven by the belt, not increase.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A larger alternator generates more current and doesn't necessarily mean it will create more parasitic loss if the pulley is the same size. Think of it as needing to be properly sized. A US Mirage has an 85A alternator because that was determined to be the proper size for tge vehicles current demand. The 95A alternator here is included in a Mirage with AS&G because there is greater time the vehicle will not have the engine turning the alternator. If you add lighting, cameras, stereo equip that draw more current it makes sense to produce more current. If you don't your engine could be actively charging more often and causing more parasitic loss.
    I couldn't find this alternator model in US or Dodge part listings but i was able to find a 130A which should be perfect for the audio system I'm building and the additional 40A I'll be demanding. The car will perform much better than if i left the stock alternator in and asked it to constantly charge to keep up with the current demand.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A larger alternator generates more current and doesn't necessarily mean it will create more parasitic loss if the pulley is the same size. Think of it as needing to be properly sized. A US Mirage has an 85A alternator because that was determined to be the proper size for tge vehicles current demand. The 95A alternator here is included in a Mirage with AS&G because there is greater time the vehicle will not have the engine turning the alternator. If you add lighting, cameras, stereo equip that draw more current it makes sense to produce more current. If you don't your engine could be actively charging more often and causing more parasitic loss.
    I couldn't find this alternator model in US or Dodge part listings but i was able to find a 130A which should be perfect for the audio system I'm building and the additional 40A I'll be demanding. The car will perform much better than if i left the stock alternator in and asked it to constantly charge to keep up with the current demand.
    Hello Bill What is the part number/brand of the 130A alternator you want to use?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Mohammad i got a 130A from an Outander. I got a pigtail to extend the harness since its clocked dofferently. It will require a spacer at the bottom bolt and a longer top bracket since its physically larger but there is plenty of room. Then a longer belt of course.
    I'll work this out when time and weather permit. I still have work to do before i will need the extra current.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20220102_160720.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  96.7 KB

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

Bambam234 (07-13-2022),daleWV (01-02-2022),mitsumi (07-15-2022),mohammad (01-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Mohammad i got a 130A from an Outander. I got a pigtail to extend the harness since its clocked dofferently. It will require a spacer at the bottom bolt and a longer top bracket since its physically larger but there is plenty of room. Then a longer belt of course.
    I'll work this out when time and weather permit. I still have work to do before i will need the extra current.
    BillAce,
    Did you get around to installing the 130amp alternator? I currently can’t turn my volume up with out dimming the lights and I really hope this alternator works cause I still have more stereo to install. Thank you giving me some hope.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did a test fit only. I have to lengthen the bracket on the motor side and need a space to align the belt on the bottom bolt. Still working on my system too, should have the final pieces to finish install this weekend then tuning before a competition next week. Alternator was on the to do list for this event but just don't have the time to get everything done.
    I'm probably only using half the potential of my current setup but have no dimming or current issue so far. 40w per channel going to very efficient tweeters with-15db gain, a pair of 6.5" and to each voice coil of a dvc 12" sub.

I have upgraded the ground leads and ran less than 10' of 4awg for a ~40A draw. DSP/amp is under passenger seat. I'll report back once i tackle this past of the project.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

Bambam234 (07-16-2022),mitsumi (07-15-2022)